A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 297,472
Currently Running With Scissors:
603 Guests and 20 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Aquarium turned terrarium  (Read 1998 times)
Tags for this thread: terrarium  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

annrkey
AnnRKey

I heart karaoke

View Profile
« on: March 07, 2009 10:52:00 PM »

I recently moved and all my fish died over a 6 month period.  But I had bought this HUGE tank and couldn't let it go to waste.  I also didn't want to move fish again.  Incidentally my plants were doing terribly in the window.  So, I rigged this terrarium with lamps to help grow some of my plants.  Things are going slowly, but they are trying.  Most of the decorations are left over from when fish lived there.  The tiny terra cota pots and the plastic takeout boxes came from dollar tree.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

When evolution is outlawed, only outlaws will evolve...

Don't leave me standing here, I can't get used to this lifestyle.
tryskal
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2009 11:03:27 PM »

What a great idea!  Thank you for the inspirition.  I have been trying to figure out a way to start some vegetable seeds without my cats or dogs messing them up.  This will work perfect!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I am Woman: hear me roar about crochet...cross-stitch...crafts...family!
KrisEOB
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2009 11:08:32 PM »

Great idea to repurpose that tank!  And, hey, I have that Big Boy bank too.  (At least I think I still have it somewhere.)  I used to waitress at Big Boy when I was in college, so it was a souvenir!

Thanks for the idea.  I'm actually hoping my fish will die sometime soon.  Not that I'm doing anything sinister to hasten it along, I just feel done with fish.  But, naturally, I have the world's most hearty fish.  I think they get out of the tank at night and feed themselves and clean their own tank or something . . .
THIS ROCKS   Logged
annrkey
AnnRKey

I heart karaoke

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2009 11:12:32 PM »

Yeah, I had one teeny tiny cory that held on forever.  So, I gave him to my brother who has a much smaller tank.

Also, this tank does keep my cat from eating my plants.  When I had them by the window, she gnawed on them til they looked like mangey plants.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

tryskal
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2009 03:30:28 AM »

That's what I am worried about.  My niece and I tried to grow plants outside last year and the neighborhood cats destroyed them.

I have a couple of 10 gallon tanks.  Maybe she would like to try the terrarium idea too.  There was a post on here somewhere that talked about using the bottoms of soda bottles as planters.  That was a lot of fun.

I am definitely hitting "this rocks" for this.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I am Woman: hear me roar about crochet...cross-stitch...crafts...family!
march
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2009 05:09:29 AM »

awesome idea! I can picture a jungle of plants in there! And you're off to a good start.

One suggestion though... if you have only one light source your plants are going to stretch towards it and may become spindly. It might be worthwhile to invest in a ten dollar plant light that will cover the whole aquarium. Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

astamour
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2009 07:15:17 AM »

Wow, this looks great.  Once your plants really get going it will look even more awesome.  Do you keep a lid on it to conserve moisture, or is it humid enough without a cover?

I brought my plants in from my landscape pond to keep them alive over the winter.  I put them in an old aquarium and had to make a frame of chicken wire for height and to keep the cats out.  But I never thought about keeping houseplants in it all year.

Great idea!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm pro-accordion, and I vote!
Jenicat
Where is my mind?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2009 07:35:09 AM »

What a great idea, and I see you've got basil growing in there... Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

annrkey
AnnRKey

I heart karaoke

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2009 09:28:59 AM »

One suggestion though... if you have only one light source your plants are going to stretch towards it and may become spindly. It might be worthwhile to invest in a ten dollar plant light that will cover the whole aquarium. Grin

Hi March.  I've been looking into better lighting, but I can't seem to figure out quite what I need.  WHere do I find these $10 plant lights you speak of?  Currently, I am using one lamp that came with the tank and it's florescent bulb on one side and a clamp light with a lowlight CLF on the other.  I had two of those tank lights, but one of them crapped out after a few days.  The bulb still works, just need a lamp for it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Oyhana
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2009 07:25:11 PM »

This is a really great idea!  I love your basil and all your little decorations!

I think you might need more light though for an optimal growing environment.  Without spending a ton of money on professional grow lights your best bet is warm white-light fluorescent tubes.  Cool white and incandescent don't offer much usable light to plants.  Depending on how much natural light they are receiving you may need to leave your fluorescents on for at least 14 hours a day. 

You can also try planting some of the smaller plants in smaller containers.  It helps the roots grow stronger.

Check out http://www.yougrowgirl.com/forums/  This is my favourite forum, besides craftster of course.  You should be able to find all the info you need about light.on the indoor gardening boards.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Pinterest     

Personal swap friendly!  Especially ATCs!
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Using a Curling Iron
How to Give Yourself Perfect Highlights
How to Give Yourself a Mohawk
How to Get Rid of Dandruff
How to Wash Your Hair
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Sandwich Wrap
Falling Leaves
Meatless Monday: Provencal Inspired Quiche

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...