A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 300,960
Currently Running With Scissors:
465 Guests and 12 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: My needle isnt catching my bobbin thread!!?!?!  (Read 27860 times)
Tags for this thread: singer  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

sophie345
« on: March 07, 2009 06:21:20 PM »

I just got the Singer 2250 Tradition in September (I know, I should have researched better) and it has already broke on me. I have no idea what caused the bobbin thread not to catch, and if its the timing is there any way for me to fix it myself? What could it be?
 Thanks in advance...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
purefairydust
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2009 01:22:05 AM »

Take a look at the manual and make sure you have the bobbin going in the right direction in the bobbin case. Each sewing machine is different. On my Kenmore the bobbin drops in counter clockwise, on my old Universal KAB you have to the bobbin with the tread facing away from you when you slide it in the bobbin case then pull it through the slot and put ut under the tension spring. It is the same for the Brother Lx3125 as the Universal.

Remember the needle bar needs to be in the highest point. Make sure the horn goes into the slot in the shuttle race and is properly seated in the race.

The bobbin needs to be about 5 inches long and your upper tread also needs to about 5 inches long from the needles eye. Hold your upper thread tightly so that when it enters the needle plate hole it can catch the bobbin thread. Pull both of the threads beneath the presuure foot and toward the rear of the machine. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sewing machines: Universal KAB, Kenmore 150 385.19150090, Brother XL-3125, Brother LS-2000

Combo sewing and embroidery machine: Brother SE270D

Sergers: Sergemate Companion 5040, Simplicity Serge Pro
lovesclutter
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Nothing is safe in its native form.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2009 04:27:11 PM »

I am having the same problem with my Singer Fashion Mate 258 so I am watching this thread. I have been through the same troublshooting that purefairydust recomments. I had to download the manual, which told me I did have everything threaded correctly.

I am wondering if I am missing some critical part, I bartered this on Craigslist and this is the 2nd time I have a machine I cannot use.

Good luck to you Sopie. I'll be watching.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I have a split personality, because you guys crack me up.  AND The best day I ever had was TODAY!
Sew-Classic
Sew-Classic.com

Sew-Classic.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2009 04:53:19 PM »

Resources for DIY Sewing Machine repair & Maintenance

Poke around- perhaps something there will help you out.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Jenny
Blog.Sew-Classic.com
Sew-Classic                                                                Sew-Classic  
lintacious
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2009 08:33:45 AM »

This is happening to me on my brother vx-1120.  i have no idea what is wrong.

I was zigzagging on denim.  I went over a seam and heard this kinda clunk noise, so i put the presser foot up and removed the thread, then started over and from that point forward, my needle wouldn't catch the bobbin. It looks like the needle isnt even going far enough down to pick up the bobbin.

i took apart the bobbin case (front loading), rethreaded EVERYTHING, changed needles, used different weight thread, and still it is not picking up the bobbin thread. 

could this be a timing issue?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Sew-Classic
Sew-Classic.com

Sew-Classic.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2009 04:06:09 PM »

could this be a timing issue?

Yep.  it's not that hard to knock a machine like yours out of time, and based on your description of events, it's very possible that is what happened.   Check out the page that I linked to above.  There is a link on that page which explains how to check the needle bar depth/height portion of the timing.  That is what I would suspect first on your machine.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Jenny
Blog.Sew-Classic.com
Sew-Classic                                                                Sew-Classic  
lintacious
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2009 07:48:25 AM »

Thanks for the info!

I had a free estimate done at a sewing machine repair shop and they said the "hook timing" was off and it would be $50 to repair.  I might try to repair it myself but am still buying a new sewing machine anyway. I figure I might as well get with the times.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sewjayded
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2009 06:31:02 PM »

Thanks for the info!

I had a free estimate done at a sewing machine repair shop and they said the "hook timing" was off and it would be $50 to repair.  I might try to repair it myself but am still buying a new sewing machine anyway. I figure I might as well get with the times.

The Baby-lock dealers have a special $24.95 clean out the cobwebs special to clean, oil, adjust timing, etc.  (Any brand.)  I think it's through Oct 31, but I can't find the ad now.  If you have a dealer close by it's worth it.  I took mine in last week and I finally have a great repair/service shop that I'll definitely go to again! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Learn About "Bombing Middle England" by Banksy
How to Paint Still Life Fruit
Learn About "Triptych, 1974" by Francis Bacon
Learn About "Ponies" by the Artist Jeff Koons
Painting Lesson - Infused Light
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Chalkboard Wine Glasses
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...