A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 297,031
Currently Running With Scissors:
395 Guests and 5 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: what is the best fabric for aprons? is there a thicker retro print for aprons?  (Read 14941 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

gingersue
« on: March 07, 2009 05:41:51 PM »

Hello, I'm new Smiley

I'd like to make some retro aprons for my sister's kitchen shop. I was traveling recently and saw some fabulous aprons for sale that were made from retro prints, but the fabric seemed heavier than a regular fabric - maybe a drapery fabric - but the prints were kitchen kitschy. 

Would anyone know where I could find something like this? Does anyone have another recommendation for apron fabric?

Thanks Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
SpottedFrog
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2009 09:05:45 AM »

You could look in the upholstery dept. of your fabric store, fun stuff does exist there. Also you can reinforce thin cotton prints by simply bonding it to a heavier fabric like trigger or denim with WonderUnder or other fusible web. I've done this a lot when making bags.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
soorawn
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2009 12:17:14 PM »

Some time ago I was given some curtain samples they were going to throw away in an upholstery shop, and among other things I made an apron.  Apart from being sunny, fun colours, since the material has been treated it is resistant to splashes, and it is a light, easy to manipulate fabric.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

50 projects for 2011:  15/50
sew4strippers
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2009 05:15:18 PM »

I think I know what your talking about.It's cotton but feels like a thicker weave,like kitchen towels?
I was in a Joann etc. (like a Joann SuperStore Wink) in the home fabric dept. and saw some super cute fabric for,I guess, kitchen curtains. They had retro cherries and other 40's & 50's prints. It felt thicker than a usual cotton.
Also check out eBay and Etsy for unusual fabrics.
Good Luck Smiley

eta: OK, so your question had me curious as to what that fabric is so I called my mom(she was a 50's housewife) and she said they called it "Feedsack" fabric. I did a google search and found this site. A little pricey but I'm sure you can find more on the net. I might just have to make me and and my little granddaughter some matching aprons. Thanks for the idea!!!!!!
http://www.laurelleaffarm.com/pages/linens/feedsacks.htm
« Last Edit: March 15, 2009 05:28:54 PM by sew4strippers » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sewing Machine-Singer HD110
Serger 1- Singer Ultralock
Serger 2-w/Coverstich- Singer Quantumlock
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Jim McEnery on the Book Hell in the Pacific
Fantasy Writers on Their First Steps in the Field
Jeffrey Eugenides on What Makes a Good Film Adaptation
Joyce Carol Oates on Violence in Writing
Azure Antoinette Shares a Poem at the IdeaFestival
Latest Blog Articles
August 20, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Faux Cross Stitch Sweatshirt
More Great Crafts Using Cardboard Tubes

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...