A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can get cheap (and legal! Wink) advertising by donating a challenge prize! Go here for more info.
Total Members: 297,129
Currently Running With Scissors:
563 Guests and 32 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Masculine quilting patterns?  (Read 2676 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

GamerGirl
« on: March 07, 2009 02:50:20 PM »

So my older brother and his girlfriend just bought a house and I am super excited for them both. I was already kicking around the idea of making a quilt as a housewarming present, but my brother specifically requested one, so now I'm definitely making them a quilt. Since this is a gift for my brother, I was hoping for a more masculine quilting pattern. Anyone have any super ideas?

Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
hoppy

she's crafty, she gets around...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2009 04:31:09 PM »

Pardon me for saying so, but I think color choice may be more important than the pattern here. You could do almost any pattern if you used blues, greens and earth tones.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

alabaster
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2009 04:55:37 PM »

I would agree with the above - but maybe a Log Cabin quilt? I'd probably stick with bold square patterns, rather than anything too fussy. That's just me though!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"...'twas brillig and the slithy toves,
did gyre and gimble in the wabe,
all mimsy was the borogrove,
and the mome wraths outgrabe..."
danni42683
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2009 08:24:32 PM »

I agree that when it comes to quilts the colors you choose are more important than the pattern but I do love Denyse Schmidt quilts for men. I always look at her website for insperation! I love her quilt "drunk love" A wonky log cabin would be nice for a guy also!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
anaximander
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2009 09:55:58 PM »

Well, given your name, you might look into pixel quilts. I've seen them done in ways that aren't hard to make look more traditional to suit the g/f, but still have some meaning for your brother. Otherwise, simpler is better, both in colour choice and patterns. For my 2 closest guy friends I made / am making stacked coin quilts with japanese fabrics (they're big into anime), for example.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
GamerGirl
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2009 11:11:57 PM »

So he said that they are doing the house in slate blue and tan. Which would hopefully make for a suitably masculine quilt. I will look into the Quilts for men book. And thanks for the suggestions!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
goldfishpollywog
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Goldfish kisses *<><

I have Never met an unimportant person. Never.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2009 11:23:02 PM »

Just as a side note...REALLY look at the fabric choices.  My life is full of male relatives that will rarely say anything to the giver, but dislike some of the fabrics in their quilts.  Anything with a floral or feminine leaf, even in small subtle prints is taboo.  Don't ask me why, just something I noticed.   Undecided   Happy Crafting! Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The Pin(trest) are mightier than the sword.

LV Tumblr - possible swap spoilers
penguinade
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2009 01:23:21 AM »

agree with golfishpollywog!  I was knitting a striped blanket, and my dad commented that he liked it, except for all the flowery bits (?!??!?!? I was using solid yarns and a plain striping pattern).  Anyway, the men I know tend to go for solid fabrics in geometric patterns. 

One technique that I enjoy is picking 8-9 shades of solids, and cutting them widthwise into 1.5 inch strips, then sewing them all in a random pattern to make a new fabric.  Once this is pressed well, I cut 12" blocks on the bias of the new fabric, and sash it with a neutral color.  It seems to be a much enjoyed "manly" pattern by the recipients.  As some other said, log cabin is also a really good choice.

Try looking at some traditional plaids to get an idea for colors.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://penguinade.tumblr.com/
Saving the world, one dancing penguin at a time
goldfishpollywog
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Goldfish kisses *<><

I have Never met an unimportant person. Never.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2009 01:56:12 AM »

My greatest success was the flame quilt using the rough idea of some floormats and custom paint jobs of a few hot rods. 

Guys speak a different language, when in doubt, grab one and ask until they give you a straight answer.   Wink  Poor hubby gets that job around here... I had to learn to not get offended or defensive with answers I didn't like or else my "informant" would clam up. Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The Pin(trest) are mightier than the sword.

LV Tumblr - possible swap spoilers
Cookn
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2009 06:24:52 AM »

As a guy I like most quilts I see and most that I make, some end up in the UFO basket until they inspire me again. Is the guilt going to be used and a display quilt ? It's very important to know the right answer to that. If it's a display  you can go wild, if it's a user use strong fabric and go basic.  Anything significant in their life, cars, hobbies, gardening, cooking ? If so go purpose made to support the theme, it will always be loved. If it's something to be used, I hate to see a really intricate quilt being used, I know what it takes to make one and I'd rather admire the craftsmanship. For a quilt to be used I almost always go back to one pattern for a guy like for my brother and his lady or other family members, that pattern is the old basic Nine Patch is any form. Depending on colors it can bold or mellow. The pattern lends itself to being a stand out because you can use big blocks, with big color splashes and the quilt really talks to you.

Just my thoughts.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Chinese Chicken Salad Cakes
Beef Filet with Smashed Red Potatoes
Ahi Tuna Poke Wonton
Asian Style Seared Tilapia Recipe
Snake Soup in Hong Kong
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!
Spotlight on: Woodburning

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...