A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can now organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 297,517
Currently Running With Scissors:
636 Guests and 22 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Storage? (now with pics, lots of um)  (Read 989 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

flying_babyb
Monkey Queen

Monkey QUEEN

View Profile
« on: March 07, 2009 11:03:17 AM »

What do you all do for storage? I have four closets and NOT ENOUGH SPACE!! I dont get it, i got rid of alot, I think im using my current storage incorectly. I have to store: craft books and magizines, board games, school stuff, clothes, outdoor stuff, towels, cat food, sheets, you know closetly stuff.

half of what was suposte to be a craft closet (shelf on top)

the other half of my suposta be craft closet

cabinate that used to hold craft supplies but now holds a assortment of stuff and my dollhouse funiture (a hobby)

the hall closet (sheets on top, pets next, towels, tools, pet stuff)

hall closet close up

Closet is as long as the room. The stuff on the floor NEEDS to go in the closet, was thinking of swicthing the small shelving unit from there with the bigger one in the craft closet.

there is another small closet thats a coat/storage closet. I need a home for my sewing machine and would love to have the whole place more functional. It irrates me that my craft room is unusable due to the storage issue. I need some new ideas. Im on a budget. It irrates me that theres no table in the craft room but its hard becasuse its a very small room with a futon and bookcase and the big black box and a storage cube (holds work papers)
« Last Edit: March 07, 2009 12:03:00 PM by flying_babyb » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Monkey girl
x46
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2009 10:33:03 AM »

I have two Ikea wardrobes fitted with shelves.  One is full of fabric, the other has more fabric and craft supplies.  I have two Ikea table tops and legs, one for sewing and one for cutting.  I'm tall and having a cutting table is wonderful!  Under the cutting table, I have three rolling plastic carts with pull out drawers full of patterns. I have Ikea boxes, big ones, in different colours for more patterns as I have a doll collection (old ones), so have antique doll clothes patterns, embroidery patterns, wigs, stuff and more stuff.  I have a dresser full off lining, drapery cord, velcro.  I have another one full of boxes with zips, buttons, trim, thread, etc.  I have bookcases: a short one for craft books, and several Billy bookcases fitted with glass doors for dolls.  I keep everything I can in labelled boxes, sorted so I can find it.  I'm not good at finding lost things, so if it's not where it's supposed to be, it's gone forever. My sewing room takes half of a 12x18' room, arranged in a square with the dresser and short bookcase at the ends of the tables which run parallel to each other with my chair in between.  The fabric cupboards are 3' away from the ends of the tables.  There's enough room to get at everything and work.  The doll cases are arranged around the other half of the room.  Everything is white so it sort of disappears.

I have under the bed bags with yarn under the bed upstairs, and more sorted by weight in leaf bags on a shelf in the closet. My knitting needles are in things that hang for the circulars and in thing that wrap for the straight and double pointed.  Ditto the crochet hooks. The knitting patterns are sorted by season and adults/kids so I don't have to hunt through everything.  The embroidery stuff is all together in boxes, ditto the beading stuff. That's the good news.

The hall downstairs if full of clear plastic leaf bags full of fabric: fleece for robes and a rug and doll clothes fabric; fabric for slip covers and drapees; bags of stuffing; foam rubber for cushions.  My only excuse is that I got sick for a couple of years and had to sell the big house as I couldn't handle it any more.  When we moved, my DH put my fabric and yarn in the garage.  Don't ask me why, but he did.  He just does things like that trying to be helpful, sigh.  So, I thought we lost it when we moved and bought more.  Then he cleaned out the garage.  I didn't know whether to laugh or cry as I don't usually keep a stash.  I use it up! Last year, I used over 100 yards of fabric making bedspreads, drapes, all the big household stuff I could to get some of it out of the heap.  Barely made a dent.

So, my advice to you is measure the wall in your room and fill it with floor to ceiling storage.  Get yourself a work table or two, a decent chair and lighting, and keep all your stuff in one place.  I have to because I tend to lose things otherwise, lol! I'm not crazy about Ikea, but I can get what I need for cheap and it's neutral.

I also keep all my off season linens in space bags.  Anything to buy me an extra inch in this house!  Next up is another wardrobe to house all DHs motorcycle jackets, boots, helmets, gloves, manuals, you name it.  Those new armoured jackets take up too much room.  Think I'll try one of the space bags for hanging clothes on them.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
flying_babyb
Monkey Queen

Monkey QUEEN

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2009 09:06:34 PM »

I love ikea, but not the price, any other ideas for a wardrobe?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Monkey girl
x46
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2009 04:34:38 AM »

Around here, the second hand furniture stores (not Goodwill for some reason) usually have quite a bit of newer Ikea type cabinets & wardrobes, or there's garage sales, estate sales, etc.  I got Ikea partly because the old house we had came without closets so I already had them from years ago, and I wanted specific types of cabinets for my dolls, and lots of them and Ikea was the cheapest, tallest thing with doors.  Wasn't crazy about the price, either, but that was the best I could do.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
flying_babyb
Monkey Queen

Monkey QUEEN

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2009 01:22:24 PM »

You must live in a big city  Huh Here in my town our used furniture store dont have anything like a wardrobe. I tried stacking alll my little cubes but alas, they hit the celing. At least my bedroom closet looks good again
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Monkey girl
x46
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2009 02:41:41 AM »

So, no Ikea and no second hand, eh?  Well, how about a curtain on a rod and rings across one end of the room.  Behind the curtain, boxes, bags, shelves with stuff.  Have you looked at the shelving units the lumber yards/home renovation stores or whatever Home Depot and the like are this week sell?  I have a half dozen of those in our cold room to store all the bits of renovation stuff we brought with when we downsized.  They are a pain in the neck to assemble, but they go on sale every so often.  It's been years, but I think each one was about $15 when we got them. (I'm in Canada, and US everything is usally cheaper.) You can make a cover, sort of like an old fashioned appliance cover but with a front that either rolls up or has the front attached with a zip or velcro, or, just stick them behind a curtain.  I buy 3/4-1" copper pipe and the ends that plumbers use to hang them on the wall, usually with a support in the centre because I always want something longer than a shower curtain rod length.  Old sheets or the bargain basement fabric makes great curtains, esp if they're polycotton and you don't have to iron them.  My guy hates to build things and gets his shorts in a knot when I start without him.  I can usually get this kind of thing up and done in no time with a minimum of fuss.  Ikea does sell the cheapest rings with clips I've found, though. 

I did this with a room we had in the old house as I didn't have enough clean storage while we were renovating.  I bought the fabric, then painted the walls to match.  And, I did it in this house in the 2nd bedroom for a while as there was no closet.  It doesn't look too bad at all.  And, I covered the rod with those plastic things that go on shower rods because the sound of metal rings on metal rod bugs me.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
flying_babyb
Monkey Queen

Monkey QUEEN

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2009 05:47:17 PM »

I actully built some upward storage. Now I just need to clean my closet and a few other rooms.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Monkey girl
edelC
Tutorial Contributor

find love everywhere

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2009 04:11:03 AM »

narrow shelves floor to ceiling, deep shelves and things get lost. I am an evangelical fabric folder, it makes a HUGE difference, liberates a lot of space and makes everything else very findable. Small plastic tubs/drawer units rather than bigger ones as you can keep everything seperate.

this is how I organised my room

http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=294579.msg3351315#msg3351315

all of the shelves are completely filled since I took these pix, I am not a tidy person, but since it is organised around where I work, with all of the most used tools in easy reach (and crucially...easy to return to their home) it has stayed organised and relatively tidy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Create a Soft French Roll-Up Do
How to Create an Elegant Band Look for Curly Hair
How to Make a High Pony Tail for Curly Hair
How to Create a Side Roll Bun Up-Do
How to Create a Soft Hanging Bun
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...