A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 302,542
Currently Running With Scissors:
604 Guests and 13 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Birthday Party for 10 year old -- wants soap making at her party!?  (Read 6392 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

sunnyskies*4*
« on: March 07, 2009 10:02:41 AM »

My DD has insisted she wants soap making at her party (this coming up Friday) since last year when her older sister did it at her party last year.... BUT I am not totally on board with this since it was a disaster with the older DD's party. I had bought the "Life of the Party" soap making kit last year and it all looked so fun and cute but the results were anything but, the smell was not what we expected (supposed to blueberry smell but it smelled yucky not nice and fruity) and the girls were bored since there were only two trays for pouring the soap and 5 girls at the party.

HELP!  Huh What to do? Suggestions for making this party better? OR any suggestions along this line that are better suited for a party would be most welcome as well.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~~Sunnyskies~~
MareMare
Global Moderator
Guest Blogger
Bath and Beauty Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Soapmakers do it with bubbles

Don't be a soap licker

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2009 10:53:11 AM »

Yeah, Life of the Party is usually the only one you can find at craft stores and it is truly wretched stuff. I have a lot of online suppliers to recommend, but not sure if it would make it in time? I think maybe you're on the east coast from your time stamp, if you were on the west coast I would recommend Brambleberry and it would totally get to you on time since they are fast with shipping.

If you are somewhere with a major soap supplier you could probably do a will call and pick up what you needed. But, in general soap making might not be good for a group because of how you said the girls got bored. It might be better for a couple girls at once, I know I only do it with my nephews when just one of them is over.

Maybe something along the lines of bath salts or bath scrubs? For either, try to get cute containers at someplace like Dollar Tree or Big lots, and fun things to decorate with like ribbon or tulle. For bath salts pick up epsom salts from walmart or a pharmacy, they are pretty cheap, and get some soap colorant from the craft store, you should be able to get a couple different colors for $3 or $4 (or maybe you have leftover from your soap kit?).  Maybe some dried herbs like lavender or rosemary to mix in, and some soap fragrance or essential oils (health food store?). Research the essential oil first, not everything is appropriate, but mint or lavender is fine. Or, if you want to focus on decorating the containers rather than the salts you could do something like painting or glass etching with the girls? (not sure if glass etching is age appropriate?)

For salt or sugar scrubs get brown sugar or white or fine sea salt and mix with oil (olive, sunflower, whatever) just until saturated. You could find cute spoons/scoops/spatulas to attach to the containers too!

Ok, hope that helps, my brain is tapped!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Soaps by MareMare Blog Updated! 5/21

~Calling all Quilters! It's time to join the 2014 Quiltalong!~

Love painting your nails? Check out the Awesome Manicure Thread!
sunnyskies*4*
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2009 02:01:46 PM »

Thanks Maremare, that really does help alot. I love the idea of the bath salts and scrubs and yes, decorating the containers would be a way better party project! I have so much crafting supplies that all I would need is some containers! Yay! (sure helps with the budget too, as I'm sure almost everyone can relate to these days!) Also I can do soap making with just my daughter and the one girl who is sleeping over the next morning since I do have left overs from last years party!

Thanks so much for the great idea! This is why I love Craftster!  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~~Sunnyskies~~
JadedMoonlight
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2009 02:57:48 PM »

You could also make it a spa themed type party, and have them make face masks and put cucumber slices on their eyes. As 10 year olds I know they might be bored after a little bit, but it might be a sort of cool "grown-up" thing for them to do. I think it depends on the kids - some think it takes too long, and some think it's what all the older girls/moms do and will eat it all up.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
smittenheart

Let go of what's already gone..

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2009 04:52:04 AM »

I love the spa idea..surprisingly enough my 11yo son loves B&B stuff..anywho,you can also add candles that they could make..like either out of beeswax or container wax pellets..would give to the whole spa feel..

have fun and let us know how it goes..
THIS ROCKS   Logged

its ME!!
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=327537.0

http://cowandpigdesigns.etsy.com
http://cowandpigdesigns.blogspot.com
Soap licking is dangerous..please dont try it at home

will trade some soap for a superhero cape which will be used by the kid in my avatar ^^
MareMare
Global Moderator
Guest Blogger

Tutorial Contributor

Don't be a soap licker

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2009 08:55:16 AM »

The Dollar Tree has fun spa stuff, you could get those little stretchy headbands to keep their hair off their faces and pedicure kits and stuff!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sunnyskies*4*
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2009 06:13:40 PM »

Lots of great ideas here!  Grin

smittenheart, candles would be a great idea too. I think I will keep that one for my other older DD who birthday is in 2 months. (I have 3 girls and 1 boy and they are all close in age...)

I could do the more "spa" stuff as part of the sleepover after the other girls go home since I know there are a few who would get either bored easily or take it to some crazy level (yup, got those in every class!  Wink)

I will take pics of the party and show you how it all went. I am getting excited for this party now and the best part is the the party girl is thrilled with this idea and I have a case of medium sized mason jars to work with that I found in my stash! whoo-hoo this is good! AND I found some cool recipes for bath salts that I really want to try for myself now! It keeps getting better!  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~~Sunnyskies~~
sunnyskies*4*
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2009 07:29:20 PM »

Just letting you all know that the party was a big success  Grin Thanks MareMare for the great idea!

Here's a pic of the jars all done and ready to take home:

The girls literally spent 3 hours on this craft and didn't even want to stop for supper since they were having too much fun with this. It was great to not have to worry about any other entertainment besides the food and the cake ofcourse!

Now the girls are already asking to do this again next year! I would certainly call that a hit!  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~~Sunnyskies~~
smittenheart

Let go of what's already gone..

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2009 07:32:32 PM »

aaww..sunny that looks awesome..they are probably going to be hooked making beauty stuff now..thanks for the update..and Maremare is quite awesome,right..
THIS ROCKS   Logged

its ME!!
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=327537.0

http://cowandpigdesigns.etsy.com
http://cowandpigdesigns.blogspot.com
Soap licking is dangerous..please dont try it at home

will trade some soap for a superhero cape which will be used by the kid in my avatar ^^
MareMare
Global Moderator
Guest Blogger

Tutorial Contributor

Don't be a soap licker

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2009 05:15:22 AM »

Aw how fun! They look great!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Bald and the Beautiful: Anthony Eats America Ep. 1 - Deleted Scene
Spam Kulebiak with Peggy Linberg in Upland, CA
Award-Winning Chili With Christine Knight-Ober in San Antonio, TX
Southern Tomato Pie Recipe
Grilling Without The Grill: Steak With Bourbon Butter Sauce
Latest Blog Articles
DIY Summer
Craft Challenge 101 Announced - Stash Buster
July 8, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...