A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 297,213
Currently Running With Scissors:
586 Guests and 21 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Bedlam, A Cabled Beanie, With Recipe!  (Read 899 times)
Tags for this thread: cabled , pattern  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Lothruin
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I eat seakittens.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: March 06, 2009 06:41:11 PM »

I actually have a finished project to post!  I've been so busy since Christmastime that I really haven't been crafting much, but I got a wild hair last Sunday.  Actually, I think it was really an excuse.  I wanted to walk my dog, you see, but it was 15 degrees F or something ridiculous like that.  So, I thought, I should wear a hat.  Then I realized I'd never made myself a hat yet, and that it was pretty silly for a girl like me to go about with a store-bought hat on her head.  So I sat down and knitted up my hat, and never did take the dog for a walk.

And here is the fruit of my labors:

I call it Bedlam, and I'm going to try like the dickins to remember what I did so I can give you all a pattern, or at least the semblance of one.

Needles:  A US 13, 16" circular and a pair of similar DPNs, although in truth I had to improvise for lack of DPNs that large.

Yarn:  My sister pointed out to me that I forgot this.  Duh.  It's Brown Sheep Co. Lamb's Pride Worsted worked in two strands throughout.

Guage:  3 stitches to the inch over stockinette.  Rows aren't really important, but I got 9 rows over 2".

Cast on 60 stitches loosely.  Join round, being careful not to twist.  (That's standard wording for a pattern on circs, right?)

Work k2p2 rib for 4 rows, or roughly 1".

ETA:  Whoops!  I did a thing here, actually, where I brought ribbing together so the cabeling didn't appear out of nowhere over a k 2 p 2 repeat, but I have to remember how I went about it.  Meanwhile, it will work as written, just not as elegantly.  I've actually edited the rounds now to take advantage of the more elegant transition.  You actually can remove Round 2 below if you feel comfortable doing so, and go straight from the decreases to the cable row for a smoother transition still.

Round 1:  Sl 1, k 1, psso, k 2, k2tog, p1fb, p 4, p1fb, repeat around

Round 2:  K 4, p 8, repeat around

Round 3:  Put first two stitches on a cable needle, bring to front of work.  Knit next two stitches, then knit stitches off cable needle.  P 8.  Repeat around.

Here's where the Bedlam comes in.  You're going to knit the knits and purl the purls.  There are five cable ribs running up the hat.  Every so often, throw a cable in there across the knit stitches of only one or two of the ribs per row.  My cables are almost completely random, with a minimum of 3 rows and a maximum of 6 or 7 (I don't remember) rows between each worked cable and the previous one.  So each of my five cable ribs is completely different, and none of them are uniform within themselves either.  The only thing I kept the same was always working the cables to the front of the work so the twist was consistent.  You could change that up so you had little crazy snakes twining up it, though. 

Anyway, continue like that until the hat is 6.5" from the bottom edge.  Now our decreases start.  You'll continue to knit the knits, and cable away to your little heart's content.  The decreases are all in the purls until you get to the very end.  In other words, on the decrease rounds, I'll refer to the cable ribs as "k 4" but you can cable in there any time you like.  Switch to DPNs when it behoves you to do so.  All that being understood, they go as follows:

Round 1:  K 4, p 1, p2tog, p2tog, p2tog, p 1, repeat around.  (45 stitches)

Round 2:  K 4, p 6, repeat around

Round 3:  K 4, p2tog, p 1, p2tog, repeat around (35 stitches)

Round 4:  K 4, p 3, repeat around

Round 5:  K 4, p2tog, p 1, repeat around (30 stitches)

Round 6:  K 4, p2tog, repeat around (25 stitches)

Round 7:  K 3, sl 1, p 1, psso, repeat around (20 stitches)

Round 8:  K 1, k2tog, k 1, repeat around (15 stitches)

Round 9:  K 1, k2tog, repeat around (10 stitches)

Break yarn, leaving a long tail.  Pull tail through remaining 10 live stitches and remove from needles.  Pull tight and weave in ends.

Fin.

Here's a look at the top.  (Yes, there's a little hole there, which was where my improvised, and therefore compromised, DPNs, gave me a bit of a hiccup.)

Thoughts and helpful criticism, both of the hat and the pattern, are more than welcome.  Also, for the record, it took me under 3 hours to complete.  (I swear, by then it was overcast and almost "dark" or I really, really would have walked the dog...)
« Last Edit: March 08, 2009 08:46:09 AM by Lothruin » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Find craft patterns, supplies and humor at Lothruin.com!

Find me on Ravelry as Lothruin!
cowgirlz101
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2009 07:15:01 PM »

Lovely!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

One moment can change everything!

Live your life to the fullest every day!

Let your past remain behind you as you look forward to the future!
Lothruin

I eat seakittens.

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2009 07:38:22 PM »

Thank you!  Smiley

ETA: I realize I made a mistake in the pattern.  It isn't really a mistake, as it'll work just fine, but I'll have to remember how I transitioned from the ribbing to the cables, which adds a row or two and makes it a little more elegant.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2009 07:42:31 PM by Lothruin » THIS ROCKS   Logged

spicecarrie
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2009 07:53:00 PM »

This is so cute!! Thanks so much for the pattern!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

isfive
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2009 07:57:50 PM »

that is a fantastic hat, and your story of how you made it is hilarious! hope the dog's had a walk since you made the hat Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

my blog, ... is five
http://is-five.blogspot.com/
Lothruin

I eat seakittens.

« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2009 12:47:53 AM »

Thanks. Cheesy  And no, sadly, Mina hasn't gotten her walk yet.  It's supposed to be nice this weekend though.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

craft-matic
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2009 07:51:29 AM »

I love this pattern, I'm getting started on mine now!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Work is love made visible.
                            --Kahlil Gibran

Human salvation lies in the hands of the creatively maladjusted.           
                            --Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.
Lothruin

I eat seakittens.

« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2009 08:32:13 AM »

Thanks!  In that case, I should tell you how to transition between the ribbing and cables more elegantly, shouldn't I?

ETA:  I've altered the transition rows after the ribbing.  It should work right and prettily now. Cheesy
« Last Edit: March 08, 2009 08:47:00 AM by Lothruin » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Use Keywords in Lightroom 2
Portrait Retouching with Photoshop Elements - Sample Clip 3
Portrait Retouching with Photoshop Elements - Sample Clip 2
Lightroom 2 Quick Tip
Tip for Lightroom 2
Latest Blog Articles
More Amazing Matchboxes
Meatless Monday: Pumpkin Spice Latte
@Home This Weekend: DIY Drum Light

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...