A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
November 17 News: WOW!  Congratulate the winner of DIY Halloween Costumes 2015!
Total Members: 305,441
Currently Running With Scissors:
388 Guests and 1 User
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Arabian Mini Monster Madness  (Read 809 times)
Tags for this thread: barometz , crocotta , cyclops , mushus , salwa , defenders_of_oasis , sega , rpg , monsters , creatures  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
« on: July 09, 2015 07:39:00 AM »

I "fake-joined" the Setting the Miniature Scene Swap at Craftster.  The object of the swap was to make five related miniature items that set a scene. I chose to make five monsters from Sega's 1992 Game Gear portable roleplaying video game Defenders of Oasis. Said title takes place in a Middle Eastern setting, a la 1,001 Arabian Nights, although all of the creatures in the game don't necessarily reflect that.  Speaking of which, if you're interested, you can see all of the enemies from that particular game at the bestiary on my web site:  http://www.angelfire.com/ult/ace/DoO_bestiary.html

It can be kind of tricky to scale monsters to one another, given their wildly different anatomies. For these, I aimed to make them all about the same height, which worked out okay, although I should have made the Crocotta a bit smaller and the Mushus a little bigger.

The Barometz (a.k.a., "The Vegetable Lamb of Tartary" or "The Scythian Lamb") is a mythological plant creature from Central Asia. Strangely, it bore "fruit" in the form of a lamb that was tethered to the earth by its' root "umbilical cord". Like a normal sheep, the Barometz would devour all of the grass surrounding it, however, because it couldn't move any further than its' root allowed, it would then die of starvation (unless some kind-hearted person brought it fresh food that is). The Barometz creature in the game is clearly a plant, but, sadly, it looks absolutely nothing like a lamb.

The Barometz was arguably the easiest of these five figures to make, as it had the simplest anatomy/form. The detail work was still time-consuming though. I feel that I should have made the neck a bit longer, given it more of a "S" curvature, and done the "ropey" texture on the body better (my first pass at it was more symmetrical and "clean" looking, which is what I should have stuck with), but, overall, I think my Barometz came out fairly well.

The Crocotta is a mythical beast of Indian or Ethiopian origin, said to resemble some combination of dog/wolf/hyena/lion. Crocotta was reputed to be immensely strong, swift, and cunning, fond of digging up, and devouring, buried corpses, and capable of imitating the speech of humans (to lure its prey out of the safety of their homes). Leucrotta is another name for the creature (or a separate, but similar, species, depending on the source), which Sega also used for the brown-hued version of the Crocotta sprite.

Leucrotta digitally recolored mock-up.

I think that Crocotta is my weakest-looking figure out of this quintet. The creature seemed really good to me unpainted, but, once I added color, my opinion changed (I feel that way pretty often about the figures I make). For some reason, I just could not model a tail that I was happy with for this creature either. I made, and cut off, several versions before settling on the one pictured. It was the best of the lot, but still not exactly what I wanted.

Cyclops are the well-known, single-eyed giants from Greco-Roman mythology. This one has satyr-like legs, but is otherwise unremarkable, design-wise. I've made a lot of one-eyed monsters over the years, but never a proper Greek cyclops, so, this creature fills a hole in my collection in that regard.

Cyclops took a lot longer to model than he should have, relative to the other four figures in this set. I spent too much time tinkering with his muscles and the positioning of the limbs I guess.

"Mushus" is probably a truncation of Mushussu (once misinterpreted by scholars as "Sirrush"), a monster from ancient Babylonian myth. While Mushussu is sometimes depicted with the tail of a scorpion (or a serpent), it's more of a dragon-like creature, so, like the Barometz, the game's version is significantly off-model. This Mushus sprite, recolored green, is also utilized for the "Pabilsag" enemy, a legendary entity that actually was half-scorpion, which is naturally a much more appropriate choice than Mushus was (I think scorpions look better in red than lime though, which is why I went with the former).

Pabilsag digitally recolored mock-up.

While I love spider and scorpion monsters, usually, I dislike having to make that many legs (it's repetitive and monotonous), but, in this case, as the appendages are pretty slim and simple in form, it was a relatively quick and painless endeavor.

What on earth is Salwa, anyway? I doubt that the fiend itself knows. Offhand, I can't think of anything from mythology that matches Salwa's grotesque appearance, but it's a delightfully-disgusting and creative monster design, that's for sure! There was a Salwa Kingdom in ancient India, which would be my guess as to where Sega got the name from.

Unlike the rest of these creatures, Salwa is a "boss" monster, or, more accurately, a "Wizard King", one of several super-powerful enemies that you'll have to confront and defeat on the way to your final opponent, Ahriman, in the game's last dungeon.

After Zariche, whom I made back in 2010, Salwa is my second favorite monster from Defenders of Oasis. That being the case, I've contemplated modeling this many-faced abomination several times in the past. However, given the proximity of my deadline, I was leery about choosing Salwa as a subject, as I knew it'd take a lot of time (and it did) to model all of the character's details properly, but, it was worth it. I thought making all of those visages would be a pain, but, it was actually kind of fun. Besides, I figured that this might very well be the last time I ever make any creatures from Defenders of Oasis, so, I'd better get Salwa done now or my collection of video game creatures would probably be forever without the horrid-looking thing.

Newsprint, tissue paper, white glue, acrylic paint, wire twist ties (for tendrils/tail/legs structural support, Barometz and Mushus only), and sand (for surface texture, Cyclops and Mushus only).

[Barometz] 3.1 cm (1.2") wide x 3.5 cm (1.4") tall.
[Crocotta] 3.8 cm (1.5") long x 3.8 cm (1.5") high.
[Cyclops] 3.3 cm (1.3") wide x 3.7 cm (1.5") tall.
[Mushus] 2.9 cm (1.1") wide x 3.4 cm (1.3") tall.
[Salwa] 5.7 cm (2.2") wide x 3.5 cm (1.4") tall.

Four days in July, 2015. I made both Mushus and Barometz on the 4th, Cyclops on the 5th, and Crocotta and Salwa were produced over the span of two days, the 6th and the 7th. Let me tell you, my hands were starting to get mighty sore after modeling that many figures in such a short period of time!
« Last Edit: July 13, 2015 10:07:53 AM by Patraw » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

May the Ghost Squid be with you.

Nerding along...

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2015 08:52:40 AM »

Super!  I'm always amazed by the amount of detail you are able to get in your paper mache figures!

"We can have anything we want, because we can make it." - RovingAnarchist

Proud member of SEEN: the Society of Ernestly Embroidering Nerds

Craftalongs Moderator

Make All Things, especially from stash

Live Life Like You Want To!

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2015 09:10:39 AM »

Pretty amazing detail...my eyes want to tell me you used plastic or clay...impressive that it is paper mache!

I just can't believe how tiny the claws, teeth, fingers and other appendages are!!

You are truly a craftsman in execution...

Crocotta is my favorite...how you did the fur was just amazing!

Dark Foe Of The World (Part-Time)

Sex, Crafts and Silmarils (Best of 2014 Winner!)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2015 01:05:42 PM »

You are the king of DIY action figures. These are all so detailed and tiny! *awed* My favorite is Salwa, just because it's so freaky xD

Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2015 06:05:06 AM »

Wonderful as always.
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2015 10:16:33 AM »

Thanks everyone!

@Quantumphysica:  Salwa is also my favorite design out of this quintet (followed by Mushus), but Zariche, whom I made in larger, fully-articulated action figure form back in 2010, is still my favorite creature from this particular video game (and one of my absolute favorite monsters of all time).

Craftalongs Moderator

Make All Things, especially from stash

Live Life Like You Want To!

« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2015 10:56:27 AM »

I would have nightmares if I saw these!  They are so detailed and scary!  Beatifully executed montsters!

Image Reproduction Techniques Moderator
Miscellaneous Topics Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2015 08:00:12 PM »

If you hadn't taken the pic with your hand, I never would have believed these are so miniature!! WOW. You crammed so much great (and scary) detail into such a teeny tiny space. Awesome, as always Smiley.

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Claire Dunn – Fall Fashion 2015 Behind the Scenes 3/3
Scotty McCreery – Fall Fashion 2015 Behind the Scenes 2/3
Scotty McCreery and Clare Dunn – Fall Fashion 2015 Behind the Scenes 1/3
Celebrity Beauty and Lifestyle: Film Festival Fun
Put a Feminine Twist on Military Chic
Latest Blog Articles
November 25, 2015 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Cube Advent Calendar
Thankful for Family

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...

Follow Craftster...