A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can get cheap (and legal! Wink) advertising by donating a challenge prize! Go here for more info.
Total Members: 297,050
Currently Running With Scissors:
505 Guests and 15 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: "Time Is On My Side" Wall Decoration/Music holder from upcycled items (trash)  (Read 8307 times)
Tags for this thread: template  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

KMOM13
« on: March 05, 2009 08:56:05 PM »

This is one of my son's favorite songs that was was popularized by The Rolling Stones in the late 60's and that he first heard on the the movie "Fallen" starring Denzel Washington as the song is prominently featured and an inherit part of the plot.

Pun intended, when carried around it is to look like "Time Is On My Side".

My son learning to play this on a guitar and I have heard the first chorus about 1,000 times already.

The original vision I had was to make a working clock/music holder but decided against as I don't think a working clock would handle the trip back and forth to his Dad's every weekend without some sort of plastic face or covering over the front and I wanted to keep the look gritty and time worn.

Parts used to make this project:

-  Broken guitar (my son's first guitar which I found busted by his closet)

-  Broken clock that I have had for 10 years and hanging in my kitchen for the past 5.

-  Cracked 45 record (it is actually a 45 of "Walk This Way" by Aerosmith)

-  Glue gun and about 10 glue sticks

-  Cardboard from Diet Coke cases to make the back and sides and two strips to reinforce the back
    of the face of the guitar.

-   2 popsicle sticks to reinforce the back where it was broken

-  Old keyring from broken one to add to attach the strap on the end

-   A small piece of jewelry wire twisted around the end of the keyring, poked through the
    cardboard then taped down with packing tape on the inside.

-  Old tie - from a free box at a garage sale over 15 years ago

-  Printout of 1-12 and the words "Time Is On My Side" and "The Rolling Stones" that I printed off
   from at the library for 5 cents as I do now have a printer.

Here is a link to a video of the song by the Rolling Stones
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x18v7u_rolling-stones-time-is-on-my-side_music

Here is a link to "Fallen" on the Internet Movie Database to learn more about it, synopsis and reviews
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0119099/

Here is are some more pics of the process finished item. 

The sides and the back of the original guitar were too broken up to be useable so I used them as templates to re-make the pieces out of the cardboard (Diet Coke box).

I ended up having to use the front of the guitar on the cardboard to make the template for the back.

Here is a pic of the side layed out on the cardboard and it worked out that the side of the box was the right width (and the front of a box made 2 pieces for the side).  It is wider than the actual piece as an inch or so on each side was needed to glue it to the front and the back.

Here is pic of the sides being glued to the front of the frame.  In order to get the sides to curve properly, I had to cut on the edges about 1/4 inch apart and glue down small sections at a time with the glue gun so it would curve properly.  You can also see in this pic the popsicle sticks used to reinforce the front where it was previously broken.

Here is a pic of the finished back

Here is a pic of the finished top

Here is a pic of my son pretending to rock with it
« Last Edit: March 06, 2009 02:27:09 PM by KMOM13 » THIS ROCKS   Logged
cherry_faery
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2009 02:04:05 AM »

As soon as I read the subject line, I immediately thought of that movie which is where I first heard this song.  I think you did a great job on this entry!  Very cool!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I can make anything except a straight line.
AprilDraven
Tutorial Contributor

I aim to misbehave

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2009 04:26:35 AM »

When I first saw the pic I thought "oh no what did she do to that guitar? I hope that is a case for it and not an actual guitar" Then I saw the busted pieces and then all was good. "Genius! Great Idea"
THIS ROCKS   Logged
KMOM13
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2009 01:33:17 PM »

When I first saw the pic I thought "oh no what did she do to that guitar? I hope that is a case for it and not an actual guitar" Then I saw the busted pieces and then all was good. "Genius! Great Idea"

I will add some more pictures of the process and the finished back (once I take a pic of it) - the sides and back are now made entirely of cardboard as I was not able to glue those parts back together to make it useable (otherwise, it would still be a real guitar).   

Technically, I could probably put strings back on this and it would it would probably sound like the guitars made out of kleenex boxes that you make when you are a kid.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
FierFlye
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2009 06:11:54 PM »

As soon as I saw your post title I giggled and thought of "Fallen".   Cheesy

Great idea and nice pun!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
clareironbrook
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2009 08:30:55 PM »

Oh, fun! It would have been awesome as a working clock, but it's great how it is!
Congrats to your son for learning how to play the guitar. I wish I had persisted in doing the same Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

preg_replace('/(.{19})/', '$1 ', 'clareironbrook.tumblr.com')
pinterest.com/ccmyers42

"You must know that an interesting fate (sometimes involving rats, sometimes not) awaits anyone, mouse or man, who does not conform."
-Kate DeCamillo, The Tale of Despereaux
Funluvnrockrchik

And Life flows on within you and without you...

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2009 02:36:15 PM »

hunhh. this is cute! I thought when I first saw the thumbnail on the main page that it was Rock Around the Clock
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Freedom of speech is freedom to yell "Theatre!" in a crowded fire"

"I feel just like sombody else. Man, I ain't changed, but I know I ain't the same"
snapkrackelpop19
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2009 04:39:48 PM »

Your sons awesome. He's wearing an ac/dc shirt. How hardcore. Great project btw haha
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ArielaB
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2009 11:35:30 AM »

I was just going through some old challenges and this is way cool! Great job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Liza Marklund Talks About Writing Crime Novels
Meet Dr. Joseph Maroon
Neil Cross Talks About Natural History
Adriana Trigiani Talks About Very Valentine
Mary Elizabeth Williams Talks About Gimme Shelter
Latest Blog Articles
August 20, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Faux Cross Stitch Sweatshirt
More Great Crafts Using Cardboard Tubes

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...