A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 296,661
Currently Running With Scissors:
503 Guests and 11 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Wunderkammer in a box (dead animals ahead!)  (Read 7735 times)
Tags for this thread: steampunk  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

bonberri
« Reply #30 on: March 07, 2009 05:02:14 PM »

Okay, even if you click on the thumbnail from 'hottest new topics', it takes you to the post, which at the top says "dead animals ahead"....
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ars_anima
« Reply #31 on: March 07, 2009 05:39:05 PM »

Thanks again folks! I'm glad to see this much positive comments!

bonberri: I salted it, covered it in borax, pinned it in the position I wanted, and stuck it at 50C in the oven for a few hours. I then gave it a quick red acrylic wash and sealed it with a few coats of urethane varnish. I'll never do it again. you can't even IMAGINE the smell a cooking rat exudes. Thanks for your support, btw! As you said, everything was clearly stated and warned, and if someone didn't expect to see what they did, it was because they didn't read before watching the pictures, in which case, if they got offended, it was because of their own lack of judgement.

karin: the most original? IMO, crocheted tampon cozies are much more original than my wunderkammer! but thanks  Smiley

DogGrrl: Next time you see big read letters, it would be wise to read them. It would have definitively prevented you from being offended, and from writing a pointless comment, because, even though I risk offending you once again, I clearly stated that I didn't give a rat's ass if anyone thought my work was offensive. I love making people uneasy, so, in all respects, either you take some precautions if you're of a fragile nature, or you deal with it. However, if you'd like to give me your opinion in the technical and artistic aspect of this wunderkammer, I'd gladly take the time to read and reflect on your comments. thanks!

Now, people, I won't comment on the other posts concerning the offensive aspect of this craft. As far as I'm concerned, I took my precautions to prevent people from getting offended. thank you to those who support me!

SuMoe: Grossly fascinating is, IMO, the best feeling someone can have toward a sculpture or whatever. thanks!

sunshinekitty1: that would make quite an interesting story! thanks for sharing this!

monochromic: there's even more to look at when you see it for real! thanks!

kstaron: Thank you! as you, taxidermy fascinates me. That's why I decided to try it. I'll stick to small creatures, however, I tried to tan and stuff a pig's head and it didn't turn out too well!

crendon: I'm glad you like it! The important part of a wunderkammer is not the way it is displayed, but the quality of the items in it. I'm sure you'll achieve something wonderfull! and dead rat guts are gross, believe me when I say I don't like messing with them, however they are usefull when trying to make people uncomfortable.

missgabbielynn: As I said, I tried my best to prevent people from being offended! I totally understand what you mean when you compare this to a car crash. thanks! (btw, I had a few knots in the stomach after having emptied the rats, so I'm not the strongest stomach around either.)
« Last Edit: March 07, 2009 07:06:55 PM by ars_anima » THIS ROCKS   Logged

For all things creepy & crafty, take a look at My Blog!
cassiege

"I swear by my pretty floral bonnet..."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: March 07, 2009 10:39:42 PM »

Whoa.

Admittedly, the skinned animal made me kind of queasy, so I applaud you for being able to do it. (I have to say, though, taxidermy always makes me think of Psycho, which was a wonderful film, but... Wink) The dancing with his own skin is so incredibly creepy, but in a very clever way!

This is a FANTASTIC idea. I just love it. It makes me slightly uncomfortable, but in that morbid-curiosity kind of way. Which, I suppose, is the purpose. Cheesy It reminds me of some traveling curios from way-back-when where people would be charged a nickle a view.

Fantastic job, especially for so much obvious time and effort!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I have a very sad craft blog: http://cassiege.blogspot.com/
bhevarri
« Reply #33 on: March 07, 2009 10:43:29 PM »

Wow, this is amazing! I love the feel of it,and the taxidermy adds a really nice bold touch. I love taxidermy and all manner of dead animal bits, just wish I actually had the guts to skin and clean anomals for their bones and whatnot instead of just buying them!

Anyway, I love it, and the little mystery box.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out my etsy shop!
http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=62304

Crazy, cute, and wacky jewelry and accessories!
DogGrrl
« Reply #34 on: March 08, 2009 01:07:50 AM »

Okay, I really want to clarify something.  I never got to see the warnings.  The pictures popped up when I hit Hottest New Topics, not any of the text.  I had to scroll up and down to see the text.  Maybe because I have super fast internet, I dont know.

I disagreed with the craft but I did state that the original poster had the right to post it.

Oh, and btw I am not some super left wing vegan or a PETA supporter.

« Last Edit: March 08, 2009 01:11:31 AM by DogGrrl » THIS ROCKS   Logged
bonberri
« Reply #35 on: March 08, 2009 08:40:22 AM »

ars_anima- I know that baking small animal smell- bleah! Keep up the great work, I'd love to see more. Check out this month's Bust magazine at http://www.bust.com/Magazine/On-Newsstands-Now.html and click to page 53 for a story on another taxidermy artiste, Sarina Brewer. Here site is here http://www.customcreaturetaxidermy.com/
THIS ROCKS   Logged
nataluna
living in the "before" picture...

strange is not a crime

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #36 on: March 08, 2009 09:16:11 AM »

Okay, I really want to clarify something.  I never got to see the warnings.  The pictures popped up when I hit Hottest New Topics, not any of the text.  I had to scroll up and down to see the text.  Maybe because I have super fast internet, I dont know.

I disagreed with the craft but I did state that the original poster had the right to post it.

Oh, and btw I am not some super left wing vegan or a PETA supporter.

sorry for mis-lumping you.  i was thinking of some of my friends who would be disturbed by this and how they would identify.  but that is not always an accurate method.

i think a visual warning NSFAS (not safe for animal-sensitive) Huh? or something, would be a good thing for Craftster to add, just so people could use it for a situation like this where a viewer is transmitted from picture to picture and the reasonable attempt at responsible text warnings didn't get to be noticed.

i think it should be suggested in the suggestion place, hopefully by someone with a better wording than mine.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

creative criticism always appreciated!
my swaps and crafts
nataluna
living in the "before" picture...

strange is not a crime

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #37 on: March 08, 2009 09:18:46 AM »

i remember one of the last times that i was in Spain my host family was skinning some rabbits in the kitchen... they were at that time raising rabbits and sometimes ducks in the front patio.  i think the meat went in the paella, and the daughter (40-y/o nurse) was preserving the skins.  i would not be able to do this kind of work but neither could i be a nurse either.

anyway.  i think it's great that some people can manage it.  old-school dirty craft and all that.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2009 09:19:26 AM by nataluna » THIS ROCKS   Logged

creative criticism always appreciated!
my swaps and crafts
sacredflesh
~Crafty Fire Girl~

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: March 09, 2009 08:30:56 AM »

OMG I love it!  SO creepy yet something I could totally see on a shelf in my bedroom. I can't wait to see more stuff that you create Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ars_anima
« Reply #39 on: March 09, 2009 03:55:36 PM »

cassiege: you've got the purpose right Wink thanks! and I should totally charge a dime to peek in the mystery box XD

bhevarri: thanks a lot! In my case, I wish I had the money to buy the bones & all instead of having to clean them up myself!

DogGrrl: thanks for clearing things up!

Bonberri: I'm glad to see you understand me! Seeing guts don't gross me out, but smelling them... urgh. Btw, thanks for the reference, but i'm very familiar with Sarina's work. She's an important source of inspiration for me!

Nataluna: NSFAS? for taxidermy and preserved specimens? A plain ol' warning should do IMO... (keep in mind, though, that I'm not the most sensitive & politically correct guy around.)

nataluna: urgh... gutting a rabbit produces perhaps the worst stench ever! (well, it does for wild hares, domestic rabbits might be less smelly...) You made me want to eat paella. and a big YAY! for getting dirty will crafting!

sacredflesh: glad ya like it! I'll post in a few weeks a 9' tall stilt costume / sculpture inspired by H.R. Giger, I'm sure you won't be disappointed!
« Last Edit: March 09, 2009 04:34:01 PM by ars_anima » THIS ROCKS   Logged

For all things creepy & crafty, take a look at My Blog!
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
The No-Poo Movement
Put a Twist on the Classic Milkmaid Braid
Long Hair Dad Cuts Hair After 20 Years
First Haircut in 20 Years
Healthy Hair Tips
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Teacup Bird Feeder
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth
July 23, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...