A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 297,130
Currently Running With Scissors:
573 Guests and 28 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Wunderkammer in a box (dead animals ahead!)  (Read 7795 times)
Tags for this thread: steampunk  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

thankyoulocust
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 07, 2009 06:34:59 AM »

Dogrrl, I respect your opinion, but in looking back at the post, I think that there was ample warning that it might be something that you would not want to see. A page of statements like "no animals were harmed" and explanations about source of the animals, and the word "taxidermy" should have raised the alarm before you scrolled down and got to the photos. 

Not to mention that the title is "Wunderkammer in a box (dead animals ahead!)".   Roll Eyes 

Yes, those rats were bred for snake food, but I personally find your use for them offensive.  That is just my opinion.

I certainly appreciate your originality but do not want to see this, ever.

I'm thinking that, save for one of those MATURE CONTENT warning things, there's not much more in the way of warning that the OP could have given.  There's the subject line and then the next several sentences that are obvious disclaimers that something displeasing to an "animal lover" is coming up.  And, if someone doesn't read those or chooses to disregard them, then that seems more like the offended party's problem rather than any sort of lapse on the OPs part.  Besides which, I don't see how making art out of an already dead animal (that wasn't killed for the purposes of making the aforementioned art) is any different than feeding said already dead animal to another animal. 
« Last Edit: March 07, 2009 07:48:21 AM by thankyoulocust - Reason: to be less abrupt. » THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Yeah we don't take orders well.  Unless they're to get on the dance flo'.  Or raise the roof.  Or make some NOIZE...with a Z!"
nataluna
living in the "before" picture...

strange is not a crime

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #21 on: March 07, 2009 06:35:33 AM »

"dead animals ahead" in the subject line, too.

i think the problem is with the thing where you see the thumbnail pic and go straight to the post without the words coming up first... that's where a lot of people get bad surprises.  not sure what to do about that, though... it's kind of how the site works...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

creative criticism always appreciated!
my swaps and crafts
bonberri
« Reply #22 on: March 07, 2009 06:49:37 AM »

Good point, nataluna, I hadn't thought of that. I guess if taxidermy had a similar warning as NSFW, a grey warning box would appear instead of the intriguing thumbnail photo.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
nataluna
living in the "before" picture...

strange is not a crime

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #23 on: March 07, 2009 06:55:28 AM »

yeah i think that with all the PETA and vegan types on here it might actually be a good idea to suggest a similar warning, maybe over in that area where you get to suggest things...
is this the right place?

http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?board=106.0

and sorry for the off-topic-ness; while i find myself fascinated by this particular craft item, i could totally see where some people might feel the way i do when i accidentally stumble across penis cakes, and would rather know GRAPHICALLY to give it a miss.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

creative criticism always appreciated!
my swaps and crafts
SuMoe
« Reply #24 on: March 07, 2009 07:29:09 AM »

What a wonderful, grossly fascinating craft! I love that it has the feel of something you'd find in an old museum (I studied archaeology and have some experience with old museums that never really got updated) but it's really modern, too. And as for being offensive, part of making art is taking that risk.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sunshinekitty1
« Reply #25 on: March 07, 2009 08:55:03 AM »

It reminds me of something that you would find in storage at a museum.

This is what I imagine:

I can picture someone finding it while cleaning out their grandparents attic in the 1950s along with a collection of other things from the 1800s. They didn't know what to do with it and donated it to a museum. But the museum didn't have any place to display and they didn't want to get rid of it so they put it in their storage.  Then, a young ambitious employee goes exploring and stumbles across it.

I can also picture seeing it in some type of Believe it or Not museum located in a tourist trap town.

Great job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
monochromic
« Reply #26 on: March 07, 2009 09:08:33 AM »

This is just awesome Smiley Sideshow / macabre stuff is the best. I love how there is so much to look at with this. Great work!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kstaron
« Reply #27 on: March 07, 2009 01:01:51 PM »

how wonderful in an absolutely gruesome way! I have always been intrigued by taxidermy.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

crendon
« Reply #28 on: March 07, 2009 02:31:14 PM »

I am in love with this. I'm currently amassing my own collection of natural artifacts to make a display...nothing as detailed as yours of course, and there's no way I'm messing with any kind of dead rat guts, so kudos to you....this is GREAT!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
missgabbielynn

Dance like no one is watching!

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #29 on: March 07, 2009 04:35:04 PM »

This is so sick and gross!   It is like one of those car wrecks that you see and you know you shouldn't be staring, but you can't stop yourself???  LOL  It is not my form of craft....I just don't have the stomach for it....but it is amazingly interesting!!  Great job!

(and I have to say, I am glad you wrote in the subject line dead animals ahead.  I know many here would be taken aback at seeing this....thank you kindly for the warning!)

missgabbielynn
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Kingdom Wars II: Tartarus Book Trailer
Eric Wight Draws His Character Frankie Pickle
Little Things Book Trailer
Sandra Harper Talks About Over the Holidays
A Message From Heidi Montag
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!
Spotlight on: Woodburning

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...