A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 295,106
Currently Running With Scissors:
728 Guests and 25 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Wunderkammer in a box (dead animals ahead!)  (Read 7395 times)
Tags for this thread: steampunk  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

MissTessaMelissa
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2009 08:34:27 AM »

I really like the look of the hand you made. I was looking at the pics before I read it and was wondering, "Is that a monkey paw?". Smiley Yeah, taxidermy creeps me out.  When I drive back to my hometown for holidays there's a taxidermy "hut" on a hill that's been there for decades. It's a creepy shack on a hill surrounded by a forest of dark trees. That's how I know I'm home, when I see the hut.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

All squares are rectangles, but not all rectangles are squares.
thankyoulocust
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2009 11:31:30 AM »

I really admire the talent and hard work that went into this, but would you be offended if I said that it's totally gross? Grin  It kind of reminded me of this creepy park in the town where I live.  It's called Hidden Hollow.  We made the mistake of visiting one time when we first moved here.  Yeah, never again.  It's got a very Deliverance feel to it.  I told my husband "you know that they totally kill people here on the weekends".  Anyway, they had a sad and inhumane looking petting zoo and right next to it was a big glass-walled room with a huge sign that said "Hidden Hollow's Former Residents" and there were big taxidermied (not a word, I know) versions of most of the same kinds of animals they had walking around RIGHT NEXT to that room.  Shudder shudder.  Anyway, this reminded me of that.  I guess you were going for a high creep factor, though, right?  If not, I'm sorry if my babbling has been horribly offensive. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Yeah we don't take orders well.  Unless they're to get on the dance flo'.  Or raise the roof.  Or make some NOIZE...with a Z!"
teapotdnky
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Obomaboe?

Craft or Die

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2009 02:02:25 PM »

This is sooo Cabinet of Curiosities!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ars_anima
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2009 04:32:10 PM »

Wow! that's a lot of kind comments! thanks, folks!

Jaime_n : I still got the anus picture if you wanna see :p btw tanning a rat is very simple. The skin just peels off the fat and muscle, and it doesn't require to be thinned, so it's just a matter of not tearing it when peeling it off.

cross_my_hooks: I think I spent half of my time making new things look old in this project, so your comment means a lot!  Smiley As for taxidermy, it's too creepy and interesting to stop doing it ^^

mlheran: Hey, don't make my head inflate Cheesy

aada: Taxidermy is quite touching indeed, I love it!

reese29: I got a lot of inspiration from the sideshow industry, actually. And the peephole is just to fuck a bit with people, I just hope no children will try to look when it will be exhibited! XD

nataluna: hey, I love easy puns too! don't be sorry! This year, I wanted to push myself and my art & craft, so I worked (and still work) on projects that are a bit more "touchy". I love to make people uncomfortable!

Modern_day_juliet: The sad thing is that the pictures don't do justice to it. There's a lot of hidden little details and stuff that don't show up in the picture. And it was easy to do, all you'd need to achieve it is inspiration!

acidtrix: thanks!

dancedupapillon: Haha you shouldv'e seen my friends' faces when I told them I was going to put a skinned rat dancing with it's own skin XD priceless.

As for the hand, it was made with a wire armature beefed up with masking tape and covered in cotton and latex.

MissTessaMelissa: I need pictures of that hut! Shocked

Thankyoulocust: Lol don't worry i'm not offended easily! And I perfectly understand you for saying it's gross. However, if you would have witnessed the skinning & gutting of the rats, and smelled the horrible, rank aroma that came out of the rat while it was drying in the oven (at 50C!) you wouldn't think it looks so gross anymore :p

And these folks at hidden hollow have a very wicked sense of humour, or are just too damn creepy!

teapotdnky: guess why I called it a Wunderkammer?  ^^
THIS ROCKS   Logged

For all things creepy & crafty, take a look at My Blog!
glitterbug12
« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2009 04:49:20 PM »

kinda weird, but so cool. you did a really good job Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ars_anima
« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2009 06:15:13 PM »

thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

For all things creepy & crafty, take a look at My Blog!
bonberri
« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2009 08:42:23 PM »

Nice work! How'd you mummify the body that's dancing with its own skin?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
karin_

Swedish craftster!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #17 on: March 06, 2009 10:44:33 PM »

I can honestly say that this is the most original piece I've seen on Craftster... This is why I love this place! You have your crocheted afghans, your frosted cupcakes, and your rat intestines - wait, WHAT? Wink
Seriously though, your piece looks very fascinating and you can really tell the talent that went into it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My crafty blog
My wist
would love to do a personal swap/atc swap! pm me Smiley
DogGrrl
« Reply #18 on: March 07, 2009 12:41:16 AM »

Okay, I have to step up here and say I think these sort of projects need a warning on them.  I applaud your creativity but I almost threw up when I opened hottest new topics

If you want to use dead animals in your craft/art that is fine, I just think that there should be a warning.

I dont care where the animals came from, in my opinion, it is disrespectful on so many levels, not only to the animal but to those of us that have dedicated our time, money and resources to make sure that animals are treated with respect.  In life, as well as in death.

Yes, those rats were bred for snake food, but I personally find your use for them offensive.  That is just my opinion.

I certainly appreciate your originality but do not want to see this, ever.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2009 12:42:32 AM by DogGrrl - Reason: edited to reflect that this is just my opinion! » THIS ROCKS   Logged
bonberri
« Reply #19 on: March 07, 2009 06:05:45 AM »

Dogrrl, I respect your opinion, but in looking back at the post, I think that there was ample warning that it might be something that you would not want to see. A page of statements like "no animals were harmed" and explanations about source of the animals, and the word "taxidermy" should have raised the alarm before you scrolled down and got to the photos. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Can a Laser Comb Regrow Hair
Recommended Shampoos for Hair Loss Treatment
Facial Hair Removal for Women
How to Remove Hair with Sugar Wax
How to Remove Stomach Hair
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Fairy Garden
CrafTATstic Crafty Tattoos: 30th Birthday Tattoo
April 17, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...