A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 299,162
Currently Running With Scissors:
624 Guests and 13 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: "i'm not bad, i'm just overwhelmed" ALMOST-LATE clipboard of overwhelmness.  (Read 3667 times)
Tags for this thread: clipboard  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

nataluna
living in the "before" picture...

strange is not a crime

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: March 05, 2009 07:07:35 PM »

*****please excuse story. *****

i originally intended to do the song "pure morning" by placebo.  that song is special to me because placebo was a surprise group that my husband and i both like, and that was the first song of them that i heard, and it's very funny that i love it (and the group) cos normally i am such a major prude.  and one of the few things we have a hard time to agree on is music, so it has been a project of some years of marriage to find music we both like.  well, when he wants to be extra nice, he puts on either the placebo station or the leonard cohen station on the internet radio (^_^)

ok so this song came on the placebo station (but it's one of those stations that plays other similar music, too) and i am not even sure right now whom it's by (see comments).  but anyway i liked the sound and the beat and some of the words... but when i googled the rest of the lyrics i thought "huh, that is probably not about what i thought it was about."  anyway i still like this one line and i guess part of the chorus:

i'm not a bad man, i'm just overwhelmed
and
because of these things, because of these things

not being, actually, a man, i changed it a little.  it still goes with the beat if you say it right.
i think.
thing is, i was out of commission this week from sinus stuff that turned into laryngitis and i can't sing even worse than i usually can't sing.  usually sounds come out, even if they don't match the music.  BUT having a sick day is good for last-minute crafts.  except i had to do something i was totally not allergic to.  Grin

anyway.  enough words for now; here is the thing i made:

it's probably not even true.  i actually fairly suck at being a responsible adult.
BUT "feelings of self-inadequacy" are not all that useful.
and while the craft itself was an escapism, which is my #1 category of preferred activities,
it could be used to hold reminders to actually do something or at least pray about some of the THINGS that i am OVERWHELMED by (shown in the orange silhouette):
- economy, dh's job search, trying not to waste money
- war and other violences out there
- the environment and trying to screw it up less
- our house (which actually IS shaped like pizza hut) and home
- dh's immigration process (ie: getting to actually keep my husband, which is kind of important) hangs over our heads until he will be a citizen
- that we, and even our cats, will be ok and get along
- all the sort of "getting along with fellow human beings" sort of issues, with family and with colleagues and teaching and sort of the whole wish that there would be more "ALL US TOGETHER" and not so much "US vs. THEM" in the world.

oh my "process" was that i vaguely drew everything backwards on cardstock paper and then i cut it out with my favorite padded scissors from the chinese supermarket, and some embroidery scissors.  so... semi-freehand.  i am not showing the backs of the letters cos on that dark purple it's hard to see ballpoint pen.  but maybe you get the idea... also then i glued it together using gel medium cos i couldn't find the real paper glue (this is a testament to the sad state of my craft room!) but i plan to varnish over it with modge podge and maybe spray varnish or something to make it more permanent.  i thought it would photo better pre-varnish, though (that and the whole allergy thing).

example of sketching on the back:

the only kind of hard parts were where i forgot to reverse the letters properly (once, with the J, that got fixed and once with an S that i only just saw...  Embarrassed ) or forgot what letter i was making (one O that i momentarily thought was a C and one H that died). 
that and my embroidery scissors are NOT padded.  Roll Eyes  ow.

well at this point i am just relieved to have actually MADE something.  i don't expect any votes cos i saw all the amazing other projects that were submitted earlier and seriously will have a hard time picking just one when i vote.
thanks for looking!!
« Last Edit: March 05, 2009 07:57:00 PM by nataluna - Reason: fixing things » THIS ROCKS   Logged

creative criticism always appreciated!
my swaps and crafts
Joan.Michelle
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2009 07:37:29 PM »

I don't know if anyone's responded yet, but I think the song is "These Things" by She Wants Revenge, one of the coolest bands ever.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
nataluna

strange is not a crime

« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2009 07:39:57 PM »

YES that was the title and the band.  i forgot it because the band name sounds like a song name (which is kinda clever actually).

i really like their sound.  will have to check out more of their other songs, too.

ETA:  i also meant to say i wanted to do this picture because i know that so many of us are all worried and overwhelmed about the same stuff.  so while being very personal it's also meant to be kind of universal.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2009 07:45:56 PM by nataluna - Reason: added idea » THIS ROCKS   Logged

my swaps and crafts
hippiejo74
Life, liberty and the pursuit of craftiness.

Gotta go - kids chewed thru their straps...

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2009 08:42:47 PM »

Grin Very cool - love the graphic-ness of it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Come check out my etsy shop - vintage, eco-friendly and all kinds of crafty goodness Smiley
http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=5029774

"Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud."
1 Cor. 13:4
cherry_faery
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2009 02:06:06 AM »

I absolutely love She Wants Revenge and I think this is a great entry!  I think a lot of people can really relate to being overwhelmed, particularly about the things that you've mentioned.  You've captured that very well here.  Excellent work!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I can make anything except a straight line.
stargardener
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2009 07:03:13 AM »

I like this.  A LOT! 
I was drawn to the colors and then when I read the back story I totally feel you!

I understand where you are coming from and I might have to google that song now. 

You seem to be very hopeful (the color choice) even though you have a lot to think about right now and the lyrics reflect that.  I wish you the best of luck with all that you have on your plate right now!  I hope that your crafts can make you feel a little bit happier & know that it made me smile today!  Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

nataluna

strange is not a crime

« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2009 07:31:18 AM »

as much as life is VERY VERY STRANGE and never seems to get less so, there have been so many small and large miracles or unexpected good things along the way...
and always the reminder that things COULD EASILY BE VERY MUCH WORSE (i like to call this a kind of jewish optimism, with due respect to my calvinist jewish mother.  yeah.  like the regular kind but even more intense.)

anyway, thank you all for the nice comments and i hope everybody's lives keep getting better.  maybe not any less strange, but better (^_^)

PS: i like loud colors for both (apparent) chaos and cheerfulness.  plus it keeps people awake.  you should see my office.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2009 07:31:42 AM by nataluna » THIS ROCKS   Logged

my swaps and crafts
audreytherese
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2009 10:57:36 AM »

I love how this came out, great graphics and lettering! (even if there are a couple little mistakes...)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I would love to do some exquisite corpse exchanges... anyone else into those? PM me!
nataluna

strange is not a crime

« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2009 06:10:07 AM »

yeah i should probably pry up that S and flip it around.  it looks bad for a language teacher to not be able to spell, LOL

and thank you (^_^)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

my swaps and crafts
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Sewing an Invisible Zipper
How to Trace a Pattern Onto Fabric
How to Sew a Skirt Waist Band
How to Draft a Simple Skirt Pattern
How to Design an English Rose Fabric
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Exploding Needle Box
Handmade Gift Ideas: Japanese Shibori Dyeing
@Home This Weekend: Embellished Guest Towels

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...