A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can get cheap (and legal! Wink) advertising by donating a challenge prize! Go here for more info.
Total Members: 300,872
Currently Running With Scissors:
652 Guests and 21 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: childhood craftyness (god's eye)  (Read 4149 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

abricot
« on: February 19, 2004 11:25:07 PM »

It all started when a guy friend was over this evening and I decided, out of a lack of something better to do, to teach him how to knit. On one hand he was doing much better than the first time I picked up needles, but on the other hand we both were quickly losing interest due to the fact that it took him 15 min to do one stitch. It also did not help, for the sake of accomplishing something, that in between stitches he would entertain me by using the needles as chopsticks, drumsticks, probes, weapons, etc...

We gave up and for a plan B I quickly grabbed a few skewers, a couple skiens of cheap acrylic yarn, and asked him if he ever made a "God's Eye"... Of course he never heard of them/made them/had a childhood... but I insisted that it was a Camp/School craft that I did for many of my childhood years and if a 6 year old can do it, so can he....

Here is the one I made - I plan on making more, because it makes me feel all nostalgic and stuff....
http://www.undertheskysoblue.com/xx/godseye.jpg

So... Did anyone else make these as a kid? All you need to do is tie two sticks in a X shape and start wrapping yarn around the sticks, changing colors whenever you feel moved to....

I posted this to Craftster because I thought it'd be fun to revive childcraft memories or even to start a God's Eye revolution... Be a kid again, whip up one, and post your creation here!  Grin
« Last Edit: September 10, 2010 11:54:28 AM by SevsOnlyGirl - Reason: fix photo issue » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Lovely Craaaft! Wonderful Craaaft! Lovely Craaaft! Wonderful Craft. Cra-a-a-a-a-a-a-ft. Cra-a-a-a-a-a-a-ft. Cra-a-a-a-a-a-a-ft. Cra-a-a-a-a-a-a-ft. <--- sing to the tune of the "Spam" song....
firefly

the giant tree starts as a tiny sprout.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2004 05:56:04 AM »

for some reason, these have been on my mind!  i may just have to relive my years of camp crafts and do just that Cheesy

another favorite that i used to teach as craft counselor were those pencils with fake fur heads and googly eyes (i called them don kong pencils); you'd twirl them between your palms and the hair would frizz out.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

cloudbreakchick

We're all one of a kind, baby.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2004 01:30:39 PM »

Oh my gosh, I am so excited about this...  although, I too apparently never had a childhood, but I randomly found a bunch of old yarn pieces (about a foot long each) at the Goodwill for a quarter, and had to have it!  Now I know what I can do with them!

Yay!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

It's late, and I've been wondering...  How I can stay awake so long and miss so much...

http://www.groups.yahoo.com/group/CraftCycle
elephantfanatic

real girls shoot guns!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2004 01:52:12 PM »

i remember these from like third grade! we called them something different though. we did it for a native american unit we did. they used them for good luck or something, idk, it was like 6 years ago! but i should make them too!  i use my old ones as christmas tree ornaments!!! they look pretty cool!  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"All Cinderellas have their midnight." Thomas S. Monson.
artsci
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2004 10:47:59 PM »

Thanks for bringing this up, I remember making the God's eye craft in Brownies.  We used the multi-colored yarn, so it had automatic shade gradation.  I was actually trying to remember exactly how we made them last year because I thought that they would make a great cheap Christmas tree decoration.  
I had those pencils too - we called them "frustration pencils."  
THIS ROCKS   Logged
pseudola

what was i saying?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2004 10:26:32 AM »

I made dozens of those in my years of summer camp... It's been a long time since I've thought about them though. Does anyone know how they got the name God's eye?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Goddess
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2004 08:21:06 PM »

a tribe used to make them as a sort of dream catcher, and "god's eye" was given as a name because it was supposed to be god watching you while you sleep so you are unharmed and rid of bad dreams
THIS ROCKS   Logged
cheesedip

Llama? Hmmmm...

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2004 10:57:18 AM »

Wow! I have always wanted to make one... I suppose I didn't have/am not having a childhood either!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"It is much more comfortable to be mad and know it, than to be sane and have one's doubts."
- G. B. Burgin
synecdoche
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2004 11:20:37 AM »

I remember making these way back when.  If I recall correctly, it was when we were doing Charlotte's Web in class-- they were multi-coloured spider webs for us.  I still think they look really cool to this day.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
broadwaybabe_4

I'm in love! (With the right One.)

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2004 03:49:22 PM »

we still make them for the kids in my mentor program at school. its fun. we all have contests to see how many sticks you can use!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Celebrate we will, for life is short but sweet for certain. Climb on two by two, to be sure these days continue.
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Diane Kruger Stuns at Peter Pilotto for Target Fashion Show
5 Hot Valentine’s Day Lingerie Looks
Celebrities Show Off Sexy Fashion at AmfAR Gala
Top Makeover Tips from Lawrence Zarian
Fashion Staples to Stock Up on for Work
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Super Easy Peppermint Bark
Handmade Gift Ideas: Grey & Plum Button Wreath
Handmade Gift Ideas: Hippogriff

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...