A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 302,582
Currently Running With Scissors:
558 Guests and 10 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: No interfacing! Need creative substitution!  (Read 1248 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Chantelle
« on: March 05, 2009 12:54:00 PM »

So I live in a country that doesn't have interfacing. I've looked in all the fabric stores, but a "fabric store" means just fabric, no notions, etc. and it's fabrics for making traditional or Muslim garments, primarily (which are beautifully embellished with sequins and flowers, etc.). I'm making a purse out of some old ripped jeans, and would like it to be stiff enough to have a little shape, but I don't want it to be super-stiff, if that makes sense. I've read that you can use dryer sheets, but I live in a country that also has no dryers. Smiley

Would something like the cover of a school notebook work? Would it be too flimsy or bend and lose its shape really quickly? The purse will be lined, but I'm using an old skirt that is really lightweight, so it won't help hold up the purse any. I tried a piece of cardboard cut out from a care package from my mom, but that was too stiff (I figured I could just glue it in, right?) Thanks for any suggestions you have!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
christinem
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2009 05:40:15 AM »

Piece of an old wool blanket or sweater, maybe?  I like to use old blankets for linings, because they add a bit of loft.  But some of them are stiff as well.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

LunyLuna
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2009 11:40:18 AM »

hello.
I haven't tried the notebook idea, I have thought about using cardboard, but i guess that doesnt work.

I have an idea but i dont know if it will work since I'm trying to figure out how to make my bags stronger too...
anyway I was thinking of taking a couple of scraps of heavyweight fabric and sewing several lines of stiches across the fabric, last time i did that the fabric got a bit stiffer. so i was going to use that between my fabric and linning and see if it works...i dont know if that helps.

there's another post about interfacing where someone suggests using quilting material.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Peace, love & hair grease.
Ambimom

Knit, Sew, Spin but Pug Love Is Best

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2009 07:48:14 AM »

The problem with cardboard and notebook covers is that you can't wash the bag afterward.   Denim will be difficult enough to sew without adding to the bulk with thick paper.  Silly question, but can't you get interfacing via mail?  I purchased an entire bolt of the stuff from JoAnn and if they don't, Fabric.Com ships itnernationally: http://www.fabric.com.  Is that an option?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I took the handmade pledge at birth
Gwydion
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2009 07:13:45 PM »

If you just want a little extra body, you could use fleece as a sew-in interfacing. 

I've used fused plastic bags before with some success. Stiffness depends on how many layers of plastic you fuse together  They do wrinkle a bit when fused, so not good for light fabrics, but you won't be able to see the wrinkles if you're using denim.  The heavy foiled-plastic bags from coffee, etc. work well too.  You can't rip out and resew though without ruining the plastic, so you'd want a longer stitch length, make sure to test tension on a sandwich of fabric and lining scraps, and sew SLOWLY.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
BattleAxe
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2009 12:29:50 PM »

Can you just order some online?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Laura_J
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2009 10:22:43 AM »

How about quilting two layers of denim together? My daughter recently made a bag to carry her school books and quilted her outer layer to a layer of denim to give the bag strength, while still retaining washability.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sewnutzz
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2009 10:21:07 AM »

A couple of substitutions for interfacing include using 2 layers of fabric....either the same or a different fabric that gives you the "hand" you want.  (The term hand refers to the feel/drape of the fabric.  Layer the 2 fabrics together and drape them over your hand to see how they handle together.)   Some possible fabrics include organza, felt, canvas, denim, home dec fabrics, netting, etc.  You can layer several layers of fabric together and quilt them together as you have already discovered.

Good luck,
Anne
SewNutzz
THIS ROCKS   Logged
catt
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2009 08:35:18 PM »

I agree with sewnutzz suggestion.  I have also used flannel as an interlining. If it's older like from a used garment it's nice and soft. Experiment with what you have on hand. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
firstquality
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2009 10:32:16 AM »

I was thinking, fleece, flannel, washable wool, or mattress pad covers.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Extreme Website Makeover - Renaming the Slices
Extreme Website Makeover - Adding More Slices to the Web Page
Extreme Website Makeover - Exporting from Fireworks into Dreamweaver®
Extreme Website Makeover - Making Slices with the Selection Tool
Extreme Website Makeover - Using the Slice Tool in Adobe Fireworks
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...