A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can now organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 302,065
Currently Running With Scissors:
691 Guests and 26 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Friendship bracelet problem (what is this, third grade?)  (Read 5505 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

fake_moustache

One day, everything I own will be made of yarn.

View Profile
« on: March 05, 2009 07:35:49 AM »

So I've taken to friendship bracelets probably 10-15 years too late. I'm enjoying it, though.

Anyhoo, here's my problem. I'm kind of working my way through a couple basic patterns in the process of getting the swing of things... and I'm stuck on a criss-cross style.

See? The 3 rows of 3 knots kind of lean to the right (or to the left if I switch the knot type - I've tried messing around with a few different ways to no avail) and doesn't correct itself once I move on to the next step.

I'm working from this lovely website (http://www.steffe.se/fb/step_by_step.php) and, more specifically, this lovely step-by-step (http://www.steffe.se/fb/pdf/patterns/squares.pdf)... and as you can see, it's Step 9 that is giving me problems.

Can anyone offer any pointers, tips, solutions, or even patterns or methods alternate to the one used on the site?

Thanks in advance!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"I feel no need for any other faith than my faith in the kindness of human beings. I am so absorbed in the wonder of earth and the life upon it that I cannot think of heaven and angels." -Pearl S. Buck
Aislynn
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2009 08:39:05 AM »

It looks like your tension may be off.  Notice how the knots on that side look smaller than the knots on the other side?  You may be pulling that side a bit tighter, which would lead to a bit of warping.  I admit it's been years and years since I've knotted a friendship bracelet (but my goodness, how relaxing it was!  It's a fun hobby!) but I remember needing to practice a bit to make my knots nice and even.  It gets to be second nature, after a bit.  I'd say you could either un-knot those bits (a pain) or leave it the way it is, and let it be unique.  You might try blocking it, the same way you do with knitting and crochet (wet it in luke-warm water for several minutes--anywhere from 5-20, and then stretch it out to the shape and dimensions you want it, pin it down, and let it air-dry), and that may help even things out a little bit.  Hope that helps!  Good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sewers are for ninja turtles--seamstresses are for sewing Wink

My wist!  http://www.wists.com/aislynn
Strawberryh

Jesus save me from your followers

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2009 09:02:49 AM »

If you are having fun with this. I recommend you also look up finger loop braiding. You can make cool bracelets and cording.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

stargardener
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2009 11:17:01 AM »

I think that it looks like your tension is a little tight on the one side.  But I think that it should correct itself with time and as you relax and find the zen of friendship bracelets. 

I used to love making fish...see the Vs in there.

><>  ><>  ><>  ><>

You can use 2 colors and make the fish out another color.  SO FUN!
I also remember that I could write my name in them.  Wow that was fun!
good luck!  and relax! Grin

finger looping is fun too!!!!  and super fast to work up!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

fake_moustache

One day, everything I own will be made of yarn.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2009 01:02:53 AM »

As for tension, I dunno... cuz in messing around with it, I've tried knotting very tightly, I've tried knotting very loosely... In both cases, that lean still occurs, which is weird I'll grant. It looks like that little bit of thread on the left of the knot (that's pushing it to the right, so to speak) could just be taken into the knot with a tighter pull. But it happens every time, regardless.  Undecided
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"I feel no need for any other faith than my faith in the kindness of human beings. I am so absorbed in the wonder of earth and the life upon it that I cannot think of heaven and angels." -Pearl S. Buck
stargardener
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2009 06:30:18 AM »

don't give up!  It will work out!  just keep going. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

spicytaco
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Lalala...

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2009 04:34:55 PM »

All right....I used to be the ruling queen of this. But it's been maybe 10 years since I've done one. My suggestion is just keep going. Once you start using that pink strand again it will (err...should) shift and not be (as?) wonky. Keep you tension even, you don't want too tight or too loose. Relax and it'll be wicked.

My proudest bracelet was about 2" wide, something like 12 colours, in a double arrowhead. It took me hours, but it had so much thread in it that it was super sturdy and I wore it for years.

But yeah....keep going. Sometimes they look wonky at first until you get a few centimeters in.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

*insert witty saying here*

I has Wist.
mloganmaker
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2009 03:01:41 PM »

I have also tried finger loop braiding. I liked it very much. The web site mentioned here in this discussion was really useful for me too
THIS ROCKS   Logged

PeanutPaterooski
Stitch B!@#$

To thine own self be true.

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2009 01:13:51 PM »

The lean will straighten itself as you go along. your next pink row going to the left will correct it.  I agree it is tension related.

Also check the back of the knots.  the two knots threads on the back should stack up, with no contrasting thread visible between them. if they don't, it isn't right.  Maybe take a pic of the back of it also when you post. a lot of the times, if there is a problem the back can tell a lot more than the front.

EDIT:Oh i just looked again--it looks like the white stitch next to the center pink stitch might be wrong...either missing or only a single knot? check the back to ensure there are two stitches in that knot. should see two white stitches stacked on top of each other. right next to the pink center stitch.

I tend to knot tighter to one side.  it is as mentioned before a zen deal....just takes practice. After doing about 10 or 20 of them you have a real rhythm and can just whiz them out without even looking at them. Also when i do them, i pin to my jeans. it is a lot easier in the beginning than pinning to something not attached to me. you can feel a lot better how hard you are tugging than if you are pinned to a board or couch or something if you are pinned to something you are wearing.

hth.

« Last Edit: July 04, 2009 01:17:30 PM by PeanutPaterooski » THIS ROCKS   Logged

If you wait to be happy to do happy things, you'll be waiting to be happy forever.
Fight corporation. DIYDS. Make and wear clothes
you made yourself with pride, and win against recession, and more! PM me for details.

Wanna trade some sewing notions/fabric for scrapbooking/stamps? PM me.
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Bacon, Pea, and Fresh Herb Pasta Recipe
How to Grill Stuffed Caprese Turkey Sliders Recipe
Grilled Chimichurri Steak Recipe
Peach Barbecue Chicken Burgers Recipe
Key Lime Pie Ice Cream Recipe
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Quick Summer Dress
Marvelous Matryoshkas
Meatless Monday: Creamy Pasta with Peas

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...