A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News: It's time to vote for your favorite swapped project! Smiley  Vote now through Sunday, August 30th!
Total Members: 302,672
Currently Running With Scissors:
660 Guests and 17 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Tips and tricks on M&P soapmaking??  (Read 605 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

RenDuH

Let's go ask Mr. Beardsley. MISTER BEARDSLEEYY!!!

View Profile WWW
« on: March 05, 2009 06:04:06 AM »

WARNING:  LONG POST AHEAD!!

So, my grandmother (who has been my craft inspiration since the day I was born) recently brought up the fact that she makes soap, and I've become VERY interested in wanting to make my own M&P soaps.  I just had a few questions...

First off, what kind of molds should I use?  Well, soap molds are okay, obviously (lol), but I just wanted to know if food grade molds are alright to use as well, or if they might melt due to the heat of the soap....

I also need to mention that I'm very low on cash (as are most people in this economy), and have always been very thrifty, so I like to find other uses for items.  That being said, I wanted to know how you guys cut your soap (for if I'm NOT going to use a mold, obviously...)
I play guitar, so I was thinking that a guitar string (the thinnest one, of course) might work...especially because I'm not too fond of having to go out and buy a new knife just for soap making when I might be able to cut it with something I already have (and I'm not willing to ruin one of my knives for soap), haha  Smiley
Any ideas if this would work or not?

In addition to all of the above (sorry for such a long post, lol), I wanted to know if you guys have any tips for getting soap that has been melted off of things like measuring cups and pots and pans....or do you guys usually buy these items especially for soap making, because it permanently ruins them...?

And where do you guys get all your crazy soap scents from??  I've heard of people finding coffee scents, and I read somewhere that someone found a play doh one?   Cheesy

Also, any tips for a first-time soap maker that you guys have learned?
Stuff that does work, and stuff that wound up being a disaster?

Any help is greatly appreciated!! <333
« Last Edit: March 05, 2009 09:09:06 AM by RenDuH » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Master of all things spelling and grammar related.

.:RenDuH:.
smittenheart

Let go of what's already gone..

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2009 07:47:33 PM »

this thread will be awesome for you to read..

http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=234242.0

I used a regular knife to cut my M&P soap and regular kitchen cups and such..not much happens to it afterwards since you are melting at a really low temp..

as for the molds you can use anything really..the soap gets hot but not crazy hot(if that makes sense) you can use food grade molds as long as it is flexible enough to release the soap or you could throw it in the freezer to make it easier to come out..

good luck and have fun..cant wait to see what you come up with..
THIS ROCKS   Logged

its ME!!
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=327537.0

http://cowandpigdesigns.etsy.com
http://cowandpigdesigns.blogspot.com
Soap licking is dangerous..please dont try it at home

will trade some soap for a superhero cape which will be used by the kid in my avatar ^^
Nymeria
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Captain of the S.S. Kill Beast Buffet

I do not like the cone of shame.

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2009 08:45:10 PM »

First off, what kind of molds should I use?  Well, soap molds are okay, obviously (lol), but I just wanted to know if food grade molds are alright to use as well, or if they might melt due to the heat of the soap....

I also need to mention that I'm very low on cash (as are most people in this economy), and have always been very thrifty, so I like to find other uses for items.  That being said, I wanted to know how you guys cut your soap (for if I'm NOT going to use a mold, obviously...)

Food grade molds work great. Flexible brownie mold pans are awesome. Since it sounds like you are wanting to make M&P for actual soap use (as opposed to decorative non-use), my favorite mold is a quart or pint milk carton. Wash it out well, then chop off the top and pour in your soap. Once it hardens you just rip the carton open. Smiley

I play guitar, so I was thinking that a guitar string (the thinnest one, of course) might work...especially because I'm not too fond of having to go out and buy a new knife just for soap making when I might be able to cut it with something I already have (and I'm not willing to ruin one of my knives for soap), haha  Smiley
Any ideas if this would work or not?

I use a sharp cutting knife. The good thing about M&P soap is that cutting it with a knife just means you get a little extra soap on the knife which means extra clean knife when you pop it in the dishwasher. Smiley  (I'd not ruin a guitar string!)

In addition to all of the above (sorry for such a long post, lol), I wanted to know if you guys have any tips for getting soap that has been melted off of things like measuring cups and pots and pans....or do you guys usually buy these items especially for soap making, because it permanently ruins them...?

When it comes to M&P soapmaking, just throw it ALL in the dishwasher. It's soap so it just washes right off. If you get it on your counters, just wait for it to harden, scrape it off with the dull side of a knife, and then wipe it clean. M&P is just soap, and it's ready to go (no chemicals or curing like CP), so it really makes cleanup a breeeeeze.  Cool

And where do you guys get all your crazy soap scents from??  I've heard of people finding coffee scents, and I read somewhere that someone found a play doh one?   Cheesy

Also, any tips for a first-time soap maker that you guys have learned?
Stuff that does work, and stuff that wound up being a disaster?

Any help is greatly appreciated!! <333

I like BrambleBerry and Wholesale Supplies plus for scents. They offer a nice, well rounded selection. I do NOT recommend using the scents you buy at Michaels, Joanns or craft stores. They are weak and a waste of money!

Things I learned quickly:
*The bases you buy at your local craft store are subpar to those online!
*Test your scents before adding them to the soap (e.g. do a couple drops, sniff, a couple more, sniff) because you can quickly go from "Mmm that's nice!" to "Holy crap!"  Grin
*Wait for your soap to completely cool/harden before removing from the mold. Ohhh this is a big one.
*Practice makes perfect!  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

For all things Black Library and WH 40k, check out my Examiner page!

Nerd girls of the world, unite!
Tracyarts
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2009 07:24:52 PM »

The only utensils I devote totally to soap are some plastic measuring spoons I have used to measure ingredients.  If I am making something heavily fragranced and using a glass measuring cup or metal knife, I will soak off excess soap in the sink before running it through the dishwasher, but that's about it. 

As far as molds?  I have used little cup containers like you get single servings of applesauce in, and stuff like that with no problem.  Candy molds to get little shapes too.  You can use the little cutters you find in the cake decorating aisle at craft stores like you would cut gum paste or fondant with to cut out shapes of hardened soap.  I have used an old slap-chopper I found at a thrift shop to chop soap into little bits to embed in other soap.  In fact, I got a lot of the things I use for M&P soap in the kitchen sections of thrift shops.  There are all kinds of kitchen gadgets you can repurpose for soapcrafting. 

And I agree with the craft store soap and supplies being not as good of quality.  But, if you're just starting out, it is easy to find, and a good way to get started, especially to experiment with techniques.

Tracy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
MareMare
Global Moderator
Guest Blogger
Bath and Beauty Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Soapmakers do it with bubbles

Don't be a soap licker

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2009 10:56:47 AM »

I still recommend getting online even if you're starting out, besides the far superior quality you will actually save a lot of money, even when paying for shipping. It makes me so irritated how much they overcharge for life of the party mp! It's usually around $5 a pound! I don't want to pay more than $2 a pound for really good quality stuff.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2009 10:59:06 AM by MareMare » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Soaps by MareMare Blog Updated! 8/19

~The 2015 Quiltalong! is up and chugging along! Come join us!~

Love painting your nails? Check out the Awesome Manicure Thread!
Nymeria

Captain of the S.S. Kill Beast Buffet

I do not like the cone of shame.

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2009 11:17:18 AM »

I still recommend getting online even if you're starting out, besides the far superior quality you will actually save a lot of money, even when paying for shipping. It makes me so irritated how much they overcharge for life of the party mp! It's usually around $5 a pound! I don't want to pay more than $2 a pound for really good quality stuff.

I agree with this. To me it makes more sense to just get the good stuff and be happy with the end result than waste money on the stuff you get at craft stores and not use it cause "meh."

And because you'll probably end up getting a few scents here and there online anyway, might as well get the biggest bang for your shipping buck!

But that's just my $.02 Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

For all things Black Library and WH 40k, check out my Examiner page!

Nerd girls of the world, unite!
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Meet Young Manga Artist Lilly Cernak
Manga Artist Lilly Cernak at Work
Meet Calligrapher Eleanor Aisha Holland
Calligrapher Eleanor Aisha Holland at Work
Meet Ebru Artist Bingul Sevimli
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Upcycled Paint Cans
August 26, 2015 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Flannel Hoodie

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...