A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 297,458
Currently Running With Scissors:
717 Guests and 27 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: * Funky hippie bedroom with stenciled daisy cement floor *  (Read 12015 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Bighalofro
« on: March 05, 2009 01:42:33 AM »

This was a project that I completed over 3 years ago but I'm really proud of the results so I thought I'd share.  When I got out of the Navy I moved back into my parents house in order to go to college.  The one thing I hated was my grimy gray rug and boring white walls.  So I begged my parents to allow me to do this...

I really love the contrast between my bright yellow bathroom and the teal bedroom walls!  It was funny because when I explained what I planned on doing, my father made a face and said, "It sounds like a five dollar whore house."  Once it was all done I was so proud and thought I had turned him around with my execution so I asked him.  He replied, "Yup.  I was right--Looks like a five dollar whore house!"   Tongue  Oh well, I love it and that's what matters!

All the lime green diamonds were hand painted and the daisies were created using a stencil that my sister made for me.  I think this might have been the only time in my life that I've been sad to have such a large bedroom (16x25ft) considering that the floor took two weeks alone and my knees suffered the painful consequences Cry

Here's a close up of the floor (inspired by the store OOP!)...

I also repainted my entire bedroom set which my father bought me at a yard sale and is original vintage 70's and I absolutely LOVE!  I actually regret using ultra white paint, however, since it seems to get dirty really easily.  My kickass blue velvet couch and popart self portrait (that I created at photofiddle.com) fit right in my "five dollar whore house" Wink  I was super psyched since it turned up exactly as I had imagined and even after 3 years I'm still infatuated with it.  I'm even sad that I'll have to part with it at the end of this year when I get married!

These photos were taken before all of the decorating was completed which explains why none of the pictures are hung on the walls yet.  The black lump on the bed is my 115 lb cow of a Labrador Sadie.  Notice my eyeglass stand in front of the window.  It's usually a crowd pleaser and my nieces have a blast with it almost every time they visit Cheesy  I had purchased it when Gadzooks had gone out of business for $20 and an excuse to buy more sunglasses!  My mother was always telling not to buy any more since I "had no where to put them".  Problem solved Grin

Here's a picture of my rarely organized closet.  I think you can tell that I have a clothing addiction.  This is only a small fraction of my wardrobe...

And a picture of before for good measure with my friend Brenna.  Booor-ring!

I'd love to know what people think!  I figure you'll either love it or hate it, which seems to be the case most of the time. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
v3nu5
"Imagination is more important than knowledge." -Albert Einstein

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2009 03:04:57 AM »

I LOVE IT! It always feels more like home when its your own hands that makes it that way.
Your room is the coolest $5 whore house I've ever seen.  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

cowgirlz101
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2009 03:42:54 AM »

I love it! And it doesn't look like a five dollar whore house! Not that I would know..... Huh lol The colors are bright and cheerful and anytime you get bored with white furniture you can always paint it!! I must say you have a LOT of sunglasses!! LOL and clothes...ha ha....anyway, looks great to me and if it makes you happy then that's all that counts!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

One moment can change everything!

Live your life to the fullest every day!

Let your past remain behind you as you look forward to the future!
Radmom
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2009 04:29:37 AM »

I love it too! Now, as for dad...Do not take this the wrong way, but my dad and I are very candid and very honest.....but it is always said with love and humor. The second my dad would have said "5 dollar whore house"...heheehe.....I would have busted with the words...
Ya, and you know this HOW?HuhHuh? Come on dad, fess up?

ROFL

Tongue Tongue Tongue Tongue
THIS ROCKS   Logged

crafty gurll
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2009 06:31:15 AM »

Really awesome!  From the floor to the walls to the accessories, everything is just perfect. Cheesy 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

la la laurrenn
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2009 07:43:29 AM »

That looks great!! I LOVE the floors so much!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

i grow healthy aloe vera plants by the win-dow
healthy teeth in my mouth, healthy hair on my head
i grow healthy, wavy brown hair on my head.....

my flickr
hookster
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2009 08:02:55 AM »

Your floor looks amazing. I am way to obsessed to try to do all those angles on the floor, I would be scared to death they would come out wrong. Great idea.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Bighalofro
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2009 09:31:09 AM »

Thank you everyone!  So glad I'm finding some individuals with taste like myself!  My entire family (with the exception of some younger cousins) was pretty appalled by the whole thing Roll Eyes  I will be sad to leave but the thought of decorating an entire house of my own is exhilarating to say the least!  I'm envisioning vintage metal,  formica kitchen tables and shag carpet throw rugs...  Although my fiance did give me one rule to decorate by:  Only one allowed per room, girly colors (apparently this blue qualifies in his mind) OR flowers.  But never both.  He likes my room but says it's too girly for his house Roll Eyes   I guess I can't complain since he's given me free reign besides that!

Your floor looks amazing. I am way to obsessed to try to do all those angles on the floor, I would be scared to death they would come out wrong. Great idea.

They SUCKED!  I'm sure their is a much better way to accomplish them but I had tried to use the chalk covered snap down tape to outline the design but that failed miserably.  So I cut a diamond template out of cardboard and starting from the very center of my room outlined it in pencil over and over AND OVER again.  But it worked really well and I couldn't think of a more efficient and effective method Huh  Then I painted them all with a small craft brush by hand and believe me...I'm so glad I was oblivious to how much work this project required beforehand.  Beacause half way through I wanted to give up about a hundred times!  Haha.

Really awesome!  From the floor to the walls to the accessories, everything is just perfect. Cheesy 

Thank you!!!  My taste is pretty out there and like I said most people either love it or hate it!  All I know is that bright colors, daisies, and vintage 70's pieces make me happy Cheesy

I love it too! Now, as for dad...Do not take this the wrong way, but my dad and I are very candid and very honest.....but it is always said with love and humor. The second my dad would have said "5 dollar whore house"...heheehe.....I would have busted with the words...
Ya, and you know this HOW?HuhHuh? Come on dad, fess up?

ROFL

Tongue Tongue Tongue Tongue

HAHAHA!!! That would have been AWESOME!  I am soooo sad that I didn't think of it.  My Dad and I had a phenomenal relationship so he would have laughed his ass off at that too.  Unfortunately he passed away a little over a year ago but until he did we were the best of friends so we were never shy to tease each other.  Like I'm a TERRIBLE driver (7 accidents in 8 years Embarrassed  Sorry girls--it's ME who's giving you a bad rep!) so he used to call me Crash.  Haha.  He was awesome Smiley

I LOVE IT! It always feels more like home when its your own hands that makes it that way.
Your room is the coolest $5 whore house I've ever seen.  Cheesy

I agree!  I think I love it that much more considering that it took me a month in total (including 6 back breaking hours straight on my 24th birthday--my best friend had to drag me away) and there's an extra sense of pride knowing that you did it all by yourself and it looks exactly as you wanted Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Radmom
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2009 11:30:51 AM »

Cry I am sorry for your loss. I always find it comforting to know...even when our loved ones are gone, their still here, we all carry the same genes...So, somewhere down the line...You'll see him again.

I know my dad is still here, but my 16 year old son, has a lot of common characteristics of my dad, so I will always have dad and my son together.

Oh and NEVER paint your place again. The family joke is a comfort in and of itself!!!! Tongue

In fact, there should be a framed $5.00 bill in the room, a laugh just for you.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Bighalofro
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2009 10:12:26 AM »

Cry I am sorry for your loss. I always find it comforting to know...even when our loved ones are gone, their still here, we all carry the same genes...So, somewhere down the line...You'll see him again.

I know my dad is still here, but my 16 year old son, has a lot of common characteristics of my dad, so I will always have dad and my son together.

Oh and NEVER paint your place again. The family joke is a comfort in and of itself!!!! Tongue

In fact, there should be a framed $5.00 bill in the room, a laugh just for you.

Hahaha--I LOVE the framed $5 bill idea!!!  Thank you so much, I'm gonna have to do it now Cheesy  Also thanks so much for the kind words.  My father does live on in me (much to my mother's frustration some days!).  I'm his clone personality-wise and whenever someone remarks on it I can't help but feel overwhelmingly proud to be compared to such an amazing person.  I am finally at peace with his passing and know he lived a great life, even if it was shortlived (he was 55 and died of a sudden heart attack).  I try and remember that life is unexpected and to do what makes you happy because you just never know.  I've learned a lot of lessons from my father's death but that's the one that sticks with me the most.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make a Fimo Bead Bracelet
How to Make Handbag Charms
How to Make Bead Necklaces
How to Make Clay Beads
How to Make Glass Bead Bracelets
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Sandwich Wrap
Falling Leaves
Meatless Monday: Provencal Inspired Quiche

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...