A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 296,746
Currently Running With Scissors:
590 Guests and 27 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Quinoa Stuffed Red Pepper  (Read 2215 times)
Tags for this thread: side_dish , quinoa  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

fishie
she of the sea

perfecting neuroticism since 1984

View Profile WWW
« on: March 04, 2009 10:42:55 PM »

I've been eyeing the beautiful red peppers at the store lately, but couldn't think of a reason to buy one until this week.  I have a recipe for stuffed acorn squash I really like, and decided I could stuff a pepper instead.  Here's what I did:

Rinse and soak 3/4c quinoa for a few minutes, then drain, add 1 1/2 c water, and bring to a boil.  Once boiling, cover, reduce heat to low, and cook for 10-12 minutes.  Then remove from heat, leaving covered for another 5 minutes.

After starting the quinoa, cut a pepper in half and remove the seeds.  Brush with olive oil and place on a baking sheet in the oven, preheated to 350*

Chop up 4 cloves of garlic and about 1/2 c of any other delicious morsels.  I threw in some chopped mushrooms and leftover burrito "meat" from a few nights earlier.  Fry in a pan at medium to medium high heat.  When tender, season veggies with 1 tsp ground cumin, 1 tsp chili powder, and around 1/2 to 3/4 tsp cinnamon, along with some salt.  After mixing in the seasoning with the veggies, dump the quinoa in the pan once it's cooked.  Stir for a bit, mixing the veggies into the quinoa.  If you find the quinoa to be dry, add a tablespoon or two of fruit juice.  I've had to do this before, but not this last time.

Pull out the baking sheet with the peppers and spoon them full of quinoa stuffing.  Put back in the oven for 5 to 10 minutes.

Enjoy!  I love quinoa like no tomorrow, and this is my favorite thing I've made with it.  It's so fun to make too since it practically explodes when you cook it.  If anybody tries this, let me know what you think!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

If it lives in the water or flies in the air, I'm in love with it. In New Zealand I saw a flying fish and almost wet myself.

Blog!
Etsy!
Wists!
Avian Flight
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2009 12:14:36 AM »

wow that sounds yummy. i've only had quinoa a few times before but i like it. it's so good for you too!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Wists
eula.wordpress.com - updated frequently! (food and bento)
holistic knitter
Current Swaps:

Peace comes from within

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2009 03:49:03 AM »

I've never tried quinoa but this recipe looks so good, I'll be adding it to my shopping list this week and trying it out. Thanks for sharing ;0)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ninjanator
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2009 06:56:19 AM »

Mmmm stuffed peppers are always delicious. Yours look great!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

when I'm wearing my crafty pants: etsy
...when I'm a pack rat: blog
...and when I feel like sharing: tutorials
VintageGeek
Generation N

It's still cool to me, man.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2009 09:39:51 AM »

Oh man, quinoa is my favorite!  And I happen to have a red pepper that I need to use in the next couple of days.  This looks really awesome!!!  I'm gonna try it!

Tell me - how long should I leave the pepper in the oven before I pull it out to stuff.  Just until it looks roasted, or what?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

fishie
she of the sea

perfecting neuroticism since 1984

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2009 07:56:42 AM »

Tell me - how long should I leave the pepper in the oven before I pull it out to stuff.  Just until it looks roasted, or what?

I didn't time it.  I put the red pepper in the oven right after I put the quinoa on the stove--so it must have been baking for around 15 minutes.  It didn't look roasted at all, but it was warm and cooked through enough for me, plus it was in the oven for a few more minutes with the quinoa.

I subscribe to the tao method of cooking.  I never measure or time anything unless there's chemistry involved, so it's really hard for me to write up good recipes!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

If it lives in the water or flies in the air, I'm in love with it. In New Zealand I saw a flying fish and almost wet myself.

Blog!
Etsy!
Wists!
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make the Perfect 8 A.M. Burger
How to Make the Perfect Cheeseburger
Cooking Mac and Cheese With Kids
Rotisserie Chicken Mac and Cheese Recipe
Fire Up The BBQ!
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...