A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News:  Vote now for your favorite craft challenge entry!  THREE amazing Ticketmaster prizes up for grabs this month.  Who will get one?
Total Members: 301,654
Currently Running With Scissors:
541 Guests and 23 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: GAMEBOARD lifeplanner: Because it's not in what you SAY, it's in what you DO!!  (Read 1584 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

starblossom
« on: March 04, 2009 09:55:47 PM »

Immediately when I saw this challenge I thought of the song Good to be Free by Oasis. In particular the verse that most speaks to me is ''what would you say if I said to you, 'it's not in what you say, it's in what you do?'''

Well I have a terrible habit of saying I want to do this or I want to do that, and then I never get around to doing it. Weeks or months later people will ask me how it's going and I'll be embarassed to say I forgot about it or haven't had time to start. Well, I'm not going to live like that anymore!!

I thought and thought of how to put this song into a craft. I knew I needed to make some visual form of a goal board. Also for a long time I've had this idea floating in my head that I'd like to make my own game, or take a game and alter it or turn it into something else. Somehow the two ideas meshed in my head and thus the GAMEBOARD LIFEPLANNER was born!! Because life sometimes feels like a game, and I like to win...or at least life feels more fun if I make it feel like a game!

Basically it is a big corkboard painted to look like a game, and each playing piece, each set of instructions, is attached to the board by a pushpin. I was inspired by the old game ''Sorry!'' So I used the structural layout as the basis for my game but instead of having four players, I made it for 8. Except each player is not a person, it is a category in my life such as health, crafting, career, education.
Each category is colour coded with a matching ''player'' that starts at start and gets around the board by passing all the colour coded mini-goals, which are the coloured squares you see scattered along the gameboard. The playing piece finishes when it reaches the main goal.

Here is a close up of my crafting goals. I want to start crafting, with the main goal of finishing all CURRENT crafts on the go before starting anything new. My first mini-goal is to post these photos on craftster; which I'm about to do, so I moved my player past that already! One of the mini-goals after that is to start making jewelery out of my fimo-jewelery making kit that's been sitting on my shelf for ages. I have more mini-goals to accomplish of course before the main goal is reached.

I have no in progress pictures as I was in a time crunch to finish this by the deadline. The materials I used were: corkboard, pushpins, plastic beads, clear plastic binder dividers, paint. I painted the boardgame design on the corkboard and I made the player pieces by melting ponybeads into molds in the oven, then attaching them to pushpins. I did this so I would have player pieces coloured the same as the categories on the board. For the main goals and minigoals, I cut up clear plastic dividers and hotglued them into little pouches. When I want to put a main goal or mini goal on the board, I write it on a piece of coloured paper (matching the category!) and slip it into the plastic pouch, then pin it to wherever I want it on the board.

In the middle of the gameboard I have the lyrics "It's not in what you say it's in what you do'' to inspire me to accomplish my goals. Because the corkboard was rectangular shaped, there was part of it I didn't need to paint. I separated it from the game by glueing a piece of silver sequin ribbon stuff as a divider. The plain part of corkboard will hold goal related paperwork. Right there I have pinned my temporary gym pass (part of health goal).

I really like it because I can easily see which goals I have or have not started, and what I need to do in order to progress. And if I decide to make up a new category, I can slip out the paper and just write something new! It can be hung on the wall, very convenient. I'm also obessed with organization. I seriously can't function without the use of colour coding and categorization, so I was happy to make it look a little more fun!

I know this was long to read. Thanks for looking! Smiley
« Last Edit: March 04, 2009 11:32:06 PM by starblossom - Reason: clarify a sentence » THIS ROCKS   Logged

It's not in what you say, it's in what you do. (Oasis)
http://neatstuffs.wordpress.com
susief00

Live and let.......Crochet!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2009 05:20:59 PM »

I love this!! It is also something I need myself...i'm so bad to never get around to doing things I mean too!

I think this will really help keep you on track!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
A Guide to Painting
How to Access a Viewfinder
How to Choose the Paper in Watercoloring Painting
How to Do a Dinosaur Face Paint
How to Do a Skull Face Paint
Latest Blog Articles
Get Lost in a Book
Meatless Monday: Banana-Pineberry Bread
@Home This Weekend: Souvenir Tea Towel Pillow

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...