A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can now organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 302,547
Currently Running With Scissors:
603 Guests and 14 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: TheFanatic's birthday BBQ Bonanza!?!?  (Read 1191 times)
Tags for this thread: grill , barbeque , bacon  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

TheFanatic
« on: March 03, 2009 12:33:22 PM »

OK, I got most of the content up. But my Dad did the ribs and while I have all the pics I have no writeup from him so that will have to wait till tomorrow. In the meantime I do have:

Grilled Bologna? Not slices, an entire chub of bologna

I got the idea for grilling an entire chub of bologna from a BBQ Forum. Simple enough recipe to try. Take an entire chub of bologna, slice off the bottom so it stands upright. Score the sides. Smoke/indirect for a few hours. To me, it hearkened back to college and fried bologna sammiches. This takes the fried bologna sammich to a whole other level and is so easy to do.

Who needs Baked Beans when you can have Grilled Beans!!

Baked beans have been a standard staple in terms of a side dish for BBQ seemingly forever. But why settle for baked beans? The grill is already up and running, why not use it to take baked beans to the next level. Why not impart some of that amazing smoky flavor that we so desire permeating the meat into the beans? There are a million ways to do grilled beans. This is just one of them. This is the simplest side dish. The prep time was all of 10 minutes and made a great side dish for a group of 20.

Bacon Wrapped Deer Tenderloin - It just wouldn't be my birthday without something wrapped in bacon!!

One of the main dishes for my birthday was bacon wrapped deer tenderloin. I've had deer in the past as I have many friends and family that are hunters, but it's always been a bit of an after thought rather than something I have taken a lot of time to prepare and cook. More like an appetizer or a chef's prerogative. This time we put some time and effort into the venison. For this dish, Dad and I did a tag team. He did the prep and I did the cooking. The outcome was pretty stellar.

A tease to the Ribs we did for the GrillinFool's Birthday BBQ Bonanza!!!

The Fool's Pappy did the Ribs for my birthday but has yet to give me the write up. I have all the pictures but no explanation of the process. So this shot of that amazing smoke ring will have to be all that I can show you right now. Hopefully I can get the rest up tomorrow....

The titles are all links to the rest of the write ups.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Avian Flight
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2009 06:16:20 PM »

huh, that bologna is unique. lol. great looking beans! i'm drooling already. happy bday!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Wists
eula.wordpress.com - updated frequently! (food and bento)
TheFanatic
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2009 07:56:22 AM »

huh, that bologna is unique. lol. great looking beans! i'm drooling already. happy bday!

I thought it was too.  Total afterthought.  Threw it into the mix at the last minute just to try it. 

And thanks, it indeed was a happy B-Day till I found the single malt at about 2:00 am after imbibing all day.  The poker game was still going strong and I was sick of beer.  The next day I was even sicker of scotch
THIS ROCKS   Logged

SillySlippers
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2009 11:39:05 PM »

I never thought of grilling venison. we've had it in gumbo but never grilled. I'll mention it to my FIL.  My FIL is an avid hunter/fisher and likes to experiment with different flavors and cooking styles. When he says fresh he means he caught it this morning, cleaned it this afternoon and is cooking it for dinner tonight.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Like I Know What I'm Doing
Jenna_Gayle
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2009 05:56:10 AM »

Oh my, everything looks soooo tasty!!  This looks like a typical day on the smoker for my hubby!  Our biggest bill around the house is bacon  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Live neither in the past nor in the future, but let each day's work absorb your entire energies, and satisfy your widest ambition. ~Sir William Osler
TheFanatic
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2009 07:10:23 AM »

I never thought of grilling venison. we've had it in gumbo but never grilled. I'll mention it to my FIL.  My FIL is an avid hunter/fisher and likes to experiment with different flavors and cooking styles. When he says fresh he means he caught it this morning, cleaned it this afternoon and is cooking it for dinner tonight.

Just make sure to use some sort of marinade.  Venison can be a little gamey.  The marinade solved that problem.  Everyone who had it just kept saying, "I can't believe this is venison.  I would've sworn it was beef."
THIS ROCKS   Logged

TheFanatic
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2009 07:11:32 AM »

Oh my, everything looks soooo tasty!!  This looks like a typical day on the smoker for my hubby!  Our biggest bill around the house is bacon  Cheesy

Tell me about it!!!  Since the beginning of Feb, I have done the bacon explosion, bacon wrapped pork tenderloin and now bacon wrapped deer tenderloin.  Oh, and the last time I bought bacon it was on sale so I have two more pounds in the freezer!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

TheFanatic
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2009 09:15:41 AM »

Oh, and the rib pics and write up is done. Got some excellent pics to show what to look for to know if the ribs are done. Great read for those that have never tried ribs or rib noobs....

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Man Bids $360k On Princess Diana Gown To Cheer Up Wife
Designer Spotlight: YANA K
How to Embellish a Blouse With Pearls Inspired by Chanel
AG Jeans and Liberty London Collab On Denim Collection
#Trends: Stripes From Casual Chic To Glam
Latest Blog Articles
DIY Summer
Craft Challenge 101 Announced - Stash Buster
July 8, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...