A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 297,465
Currently Running With Scissors:
642 Guests and 30 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Bacon Ice Cream and Cinnamon Rolls  (Read 4111 times)
Tags for this thread: bacon , ice_cream , cinnamon , bread , recipe  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

doyouloveanapple
« on: March 03, 2009 07:43:37 AM »

A friend of mine has an annual "Bacon Fest"- a potluck where everthing is bacon. This year there were some really creative additions (BLT Cesar anyone? Bacon vodka, lettuce juice, and the rest of a Cesar). The bacon vodka recipe was found here: http://www.browniepointsblog.com/2008/01/20/homemade-bacon-vodka/.

This year was really the year of the bacon dessert. I came across a recipe for bacon ice cream a few months ago on David Lebovitz's blog, but didn't have the occasion to try it out until now. I made a few adaptations from the original recipe ie. I made it with higher fat cream because I find the best tasting home made ice cream is mostly whipping cream. I'm not really sure if bacon icecream needs the addition of more fat  Wink. I also candied some pecans and added them to the mix (the extra crunch was very nice), and made the ice cream base maple. Who doesn't love maple syrup and bacon?

Overall I was impressed with how good it actually tasted!

Candied Bacon Ice Cream
Ingredients

For the candied bacon;
5 strips bacon
about 2 tablespoons light brown sugar

For the candied pecans;
cup white sugar
1 cup raw pecans

For the ice cream custard:
3 tablespoons (45g) salted butter
cup (packed) brown sugar (170g)
1 cup 35% (whipping) cream
1 cup 18% (table) cream
5 large egg yolks
2 tablespoons maple syrup
teaspoon vanilla extract

To candy the bacon
1. Preheat the oven to 400F (200C).
2. Lay the strips of bacon on a baking sheet lined with a silicone mat or aluminum foil, shiny side down.
3. Sprinkle 1-2 teaspoons of brown sugar evenly over each strip of bacon, depending on length.
4. Bake for 12-16 minutes. Midway during baking, flip the bacon strips over and drag them through the dark, syrupy liquid that's collected on the baking sheet. Continue to bake until as dark as mahogany. Remove from oven and cool the strips on a wire rack.
5. Once crisp and cool, chop into little pieces, about the size of grains of rice.

To candy the pecans
6. Warm a heavy pan gently over a medium heat for a few moments. Add the sugar to the pan.
7. Leave the sugar, keeping an eye on it, until it begins to melt.
8. After about 5 minutes the sugar will start to melt and turn liquid around the edges. Now give the pan a good shake and leave it again until about a quarter of the sugar has melted.
9. Using a wooden spoon, give it a gentle stir and continue to cook and stir until the sugar has transformed from crystals to liquid and is the colour of dark runny honey. The whole thing should take about 10 minutes from start to finish.
10. Add the raw pecans and toss to coat.
11. Spread the pecans on a lined baking sheet and place in the fridge to cool.
12. Once cool chop the pecans into little pieces.

To make the ice cream custard
13. Melt the butter in a heavy, medium-size saucepan. Stir in the brown sugar. Mix together the creams and add half to the butter/sugar mixture.
14. Pour the remaining cream into a bowl set in an ice bath and set a mesh strainer over the top.
15. In a separate bowl, stir together the egg yolks, then gradually add some of the warm brown sugar mixture to them, whisking the yolks constantly as you pour. Pour the mixture back into the saucepan.
16. Cook over low to moderate heat, constantly stirring and scraping the bottom with a heatproof spatula, until the custard thickens enough to coat the spatula.
17. Strain the custard into the cream, stirring over the ice bath, until cool. Add syrup and vanilla.
18. Refrigerate the mixture.

19.Once thoroughly chilled, freeze in your ice cream maker according to the manufacturer's instructions. Add the bacon bits and pecans during the last moment of churning, or stir them in when you remove the ice cream from the machine.

With bacon brown sugar (left over from bacon vodka and maple syrup martinis):

And now for bacon cinnamon rolls. They were based on the Joy of Cooking's sweet bun recipe. Cooked crumbled bacon was added during the cinnamon sugar stage:

Out of the oven:

As someone who doesn't usually eat very much meat, let alone bacon, I think I'm done with bacon for a while.

« Last Edit: March 09, 2009 01:28:05 PM by doyouloveanapple » THIS ROCKS   Logged

New items added to my Etsy!

doyouloveanapple.etsy.com
Mandyhello

Cook-Eat-Stitch-Game- in that order :)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2009 09:46:58 AM »

I really want to try the bacon ice cream (I saw the recipe on thisiswhyyourefat.com a while ago).  looks good (albeit rich)!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
PixieSkull
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Glittery Macabre

Nat 20! Woot!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2009 11:27:31 AM »

I really don't like you for this, that looks amazingly delicious. Maybe I could talk my grandparents into trying this for my birthday... they always ask what flavor I want beforehand Smiley hehehe

And bacon cinnamon rolls? Those are seriously heaven, yours look delicious.

And bacon cesar? Bacon bloody mary is more my flavor, but imagining that with a Pabst and the ice cream... that's completely heaven for hangover mode.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2009 11:28:32 AM by PixieSkull » THIS ROCKS   Logged

~*My Etsy Shop*~
I'm a level 9 rouge, b***h!
I do personal swaps!
arcadian green
I wants flies in on dragons!

I'm disinclined to acquiesce to your request

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2009 06:12:31 PM »

I think I might have to try bacon cinnamon rolls. I love the combination of salty and sweet. I think this would work out well.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

stufie

I love cuppycakes!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2009 10:50:59 AM »

All of this bacon stuff creeps me out! I think I need to try some of it to get over how weird it sounds... Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Love will make your eyes clear

http://stufie.blogspot.com/
readyset_go
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2009 02:11:49 AM »

Hahaha wow how interesting!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Knitonepurlbacon
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2009 11:31:06 AM »

Nice rolls, doyouloveanapple Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged
rileyartie
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2009 05:23:21 PM »

They both sound interesting, and I would love to try them both! (and then work out extra long on the treadmill afterwards) Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged
KrisCreates

Keep on rockin' in the craft world!

« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2009 07:28:09 PM »

Only yesterday my mother and brother were singing the praises of bacon.  My brother was talking about how awesoome chocolate bacon would be, and my mother was contemplating bacon gravy... Undecided

I'm sure they would think this is epic.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Ciara on Her Tomboy Style
Summer Swimwear Takes a Retro Look
Dress Made From Wine
Summer Fashion Tips for Showing Off Your Legs
Style Rat at Governors Island: Retro Twenties Fashion
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Sandwich Wrap
Falling Leaves
Meatless Monday: Provencal Inspired Quiche

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...