A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 299,129
Currently Running With Scissors:
500 Guests and 13 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Re-sizing patterns for us - Plus Size Beauties by Barbara Deckertt - Book Review  (Read 1387 times)
Tags for this thread: book_review  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

nixiefee
« on: March 03, 2009 03:38:29 AM »

I haven't had the chance lately to post much on here, put I have been lurking.  I have noticed many, many of you lovely men and women have asked about resizing a pattern that's to small for you, to fit you.  I have the ultimate answer, a book.  It's called Sewing for Plus Sizes author is Barbara Deckertt.  I have put a link to Google Books for you to review it

http://books.google.com/books?id=UCzcigPomlcC&dq=sewing+for+plus+sizes&source=bn&ei=yhStSdSyKqKBtweVwYGHBg&sa=X&oi=book_result&resnum=4&ct=book-thumbnail

I have a copy of it and have found it extremely helpful.  I can now take any size adult pattern and make it fit me.  I am a size 22/24 with one size in front and one size in the back Shocked  I am currently working on a dress that only went up to a size 20.  Yes, I know that it is not a big jump, however, I am confident enough now to just look at the lines of the dress and tell if it would look good on me or not, no matter the size of the pattern.

I encourage all of you to check it out.

Nixie Grin
« Last Edit: June 12, 2009 11:57:44 AM by jungrrl - Reason: Made title more descriptive » THIS ROCKS   Logged
SpottedFrog
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2009 08:17:21 AM »

I'm not plus sized but it looks like something I should add to my personal library Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
anwen
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2009 04:31:55 PM »

I love, love, LOVE this book! I love her fat-positive attitude (which manages also not to be too preachy, which could be a bit scary for someone new to the idea...) and her advice on proportions and 'let's give them something to look at!' Wink I also love the pictures of women of varying plus-sized shapes and sizes, looking fab and glam. Hurray! It also has super info on making a paper-tape dummy and choosing fabric - I also love that she is so excited about the fact that sewing means you can use lovely silks and cottons and wools instead of being stuck with the itchy synthetics that most plus-size shops tend to stock...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
onceinablu
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2009 01:30:27 AM »

Grin Awesome! thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
anti-emily
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2009 11:22:02 AM »

i to looooove this book! totally recomend it to everyone!

i have the older version though. do you think it would be worth it to buy the newer version? is it much different?

THIS ROCKS   Logged

"You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough." ~Mae West

Wee! I'm on etsy! www.antixemily.etsy.com
nixiefee
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2009 03:45:52 AM »

I've never seen any other version, so couldn't tell you.  Probably has all the same stuff in it as well.

nixie
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Try Braided Bangs With a Messy, Braided Pony
How to Create the Donut Bun Look
Tips For Younger Looking Hair
Go Wild with Your Hair Texture
How to Get Big, Bouncy Hair
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Mini Book Jewelry
Handmade Gift Ideas: Bunny Travel Pillow
Tute Tuesday: Cross Stitched Sewing Box

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...