A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 302,565
Currently Running With Scissors:
574 Guests and 11 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Across the Night Necklace  (Read 4791 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

JackyCane
« on: March 02, 2009 07:41:42 PM »

My favorite song is Across the Night by Silverchair. The first few times I heard it, I wasn't very impressed. I only made it about halfway through the song. One night, I listened to the whole thing. Suddenly, it all made sense. What a beautiful, cinematic piece of art! I especially connect to this song because at the time I first started listening to it, I was very depressed. I was suffering from an eating disorder and felt utterly alone. (Side note: Daniel Johns, who wrote the song, also suffered from depression and an eating disorder. He wrote this song-and the entire album-as a concerted effort to get better.) This song quite possibly saved my life.

Here are the lyrics: http://www.songmeanings.net/songs/view/75320/

So now that you know way more about this song (and my life) than you ever wanted to  Grin, here's the necklace I made, inspired by Across the Night.

Action shot:

Worn by my lamp:

Close-up:

I used black, white, and purple disc beads as the night sky, and yellow seed beads as the stars. They're strung on knotted waxed linen string.

Thanks for looking! I love this challenge and am looking forward to seeing all the songs people use as their inspirations! Have a good day.  Smiley
« Last Edit: March 03, 2009 09:43:32 AM by JackyCane » THIS ROCKS   Logged
lindseycore

cat lady till the day i die.

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2009 07:48:13 PM »

i love this!  i like that it's not necessarily a literal interpretation.  the beads you used are beautiful.  now i just hope i can remember to come back at the right time to vote for you!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

what i have made: flickr
what i am making: ravelry
what i want: wist

i love personal swaps, especially for handspun yarn
Ralph
no... gone completely

The fat man walks alone.

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2009 09:48:44 PM »

Diorama saved my life too, it was the soundtrack to my HSC (final year at highschool in NSW, Australia). I think you did this song amazingly. Thankyou for sharing your story, you've made me so happy, great job!

-Ralph
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I have decided that the hokey pokey is what it's all about.

Post a project on every completed project board on craftster: 30/39
Al-most-there.
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=329582.msg3997110#msg3997110
endlessly_intricate
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2009 10:47:31 PM »

Your necklace is beautiful, as is the song that it is an interpretation of.

Silverchair got me through my early teenage years. Diorama, in particular, is extremely special to me because my best friend and I were listening to it in the summer of 2005 when he confessed his love to me.  We've been together since.  I'm so glad that it helped save your life... it helped start mine.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
KeTing
Sleep is overrated

Will sew for food!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2009 06:14:46 AM »

I loved it as soon as I saw it and I rarely like Jewellery. I mean, very, very, very rarely.
"Well done" from another former ED/D-sufferer. Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Yay for Germlish!
JackyCane
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2009 06:37:55 AM »

You all have no idea how excited I am to find other Silverchair/Diorama fanatics!  Cheesy

Lindseycore: Thank you! It means a lot that you would vote for my project. And even if you forget to vote, it's the thought that counts, right?  Wink

Ralph: Thank you! During high school, I would lie in bed at night listening to Diorama in the dark with my walkman, drifting in and out of consciousness. A truly magical experience; I need to do it again. I'm so glad that Diorama saved your life, too. I can't even imagine how many people Silverchair's music has helped.  Smiley

Endlessly_intricate: Thank you! Your story is so heartwarming. I think Silverchair has very special, dedicated fans. What a wonderful memory to share with that album. Thank you for sharing this. May your life together remain as beautiful and long-lasting as Diorama.  Smiley

KeTing: That's a big compliment from someone who normally doesn't like jewelry. Thank you so much! And thank you for sharing with me that you suffer (suffered?) from ED/D. It's so good to connect with others who have shared similar histories.  Grin

THIS ROCKS   Logged
Lydia the Strange
Supreme Enabler

« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2009 06:51:02 AM »

I must admit that I am not familar with Silverchairs work ( a few songs here and there), but you all have made me want to take a closer listen to their music.

Your necklace is beautiful and the story makes it even more inspiring!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Ralph
no... gone completely

The fat man walks alone.

« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2009 12:09:19 AM »

I think its awesome the way we've all been able to share different stories about the one song/album.

JackyCane, I just noticed the painting behind you in one of the pics appears to have Silverchair lyrics on it! I've always found Silverchair's music to be a great inspiration for creative ventures.

-Ralph
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I have decided that the hokey pokey is what it's all about.

Post a project on every completed project board on craftster: 30/39
Al-most-there.
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=329582.msg3997110#msg3997110
JackyCane
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2009 01:02:33 PM »

Lydia the Strange: You should definitely check out more of Silverchair's music. I especially recommend (for obvious reasons) Diorama. Thanks for your compliment!

Ralph: I was wondering if someone would notice that detail! I was just looking for something to add color to the picture. I couldn't figure out what to do with that particular painting, so I used some equally colorful lyrics! Another one of my favorite songs.  Wink
I'm always excited to find new 'Chair fans. I've only met a small handful in real life. Usually they've only ever heard Frogstomp or Freak Show, though.  Undecided I saw on your profile that you're from Australia. Have you ever seen them live? They came within a few hundred miles of me when touring for Young Modern, but I couldn't make the drive. I will see them live one day, though. Even if I have to go to Australia, which I wouldn't mind at all.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
aada
If I run out of tacos, I can no longer maintain my human form

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2009 09:26:35 PM »

<3!!!!

(saw them last year. been a fan since before neon came out, so it was awesome!!!)

i was thinking of a silverchair cross stitch, but didn't even think about doing it to enter! now i'm kinda sad, actually... haha

i love your necklace, and of course i love the inspiration!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Rosie Huntington-Whitely on Transformers: Dark of The Moon
The Transformers: Dark of The Moon Premiere Hits Times Square
Jamie Foxx on Horrible Bosses
Jennifer Aniston on Horrible Bosses
Charlie Day on Horrible Bosses
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...