A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 303,142
Currently Running With Scissors:
417 Guests and 2 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: reconstructed 1940s-style brassiere  (Read 3169 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
Suffering from an artistic temperament since 1983

View Profile WWW
« on: March 02, 2009 06:59:37 PM »

Hello all,
Recently I've become frustrated with shopping for underthings, especially bras. Nothing ever fits, and if it does, it's padded. I guess they assume that all us small-busted ladies are ashamed of our breasts and want a little extra help. Angry  I'm also too poor to shop at boutiques that carry higher end bras. $30 and up for a single bra seems crazy!
Anyway, I've always loved 1940s style, and I think these old bras let breasts look more like breasts than the padded, weirdly-rounded,  boob-smooshing things I find in department stores nowadays.
I've been working on this bra for a few weeks at least, and it's FAR from perfect, but I love it and I think I will do better next time. The bra itself is made from a cotton, button-down shirt with a bit of stretch, the straps are cotton twill tape, and the lace along the bottom is stretchy too.

Back (sorry about the white chalk marks, I was too excited to post to wash it off first Tongue ):

I hope you like it! I was so happy to see other people posting diy underthings this week, I hope more people start doing the same. I could use more inspiration!

Oh, and P.S.: I've gotten comments on my underarm hair before, and I'd rather not get anymore. Yes, it's there. I don't shave, and I don't want to hear about how I should! It's my choice and this is not the place to challenge me on it. Thanks!  Smiley

Do you say 'yes' to a single desire? Oh, my friends, then you say 'yes' to all pain.
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2009 07:05:36 PM »

This is great!  So did you use a vintage pattern or...?
Prophetess en-flagrante

Kitchen witchery is my life

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2009 07:06:21 PM »

That looks so comfy! Also I love your ship tattoo Smiley

Courage isn't knowing when to stand and fight, it's knowing when to turn and saunter away.
Suffering from an artistic temperament since 1983

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2009 07:14:10 PM »

Thanks!  Smiley

sparrowowl: I didn't use a pattern, I just made it up as I went along, for better or worse. Cheesy

Do you say 'yes' to a single desire? Oh, my friends, then you say 'yes' to all pain.
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2009 08:34:48 PM »

That's a cute idea Smiley. It looks like it would be really comfortable. I've made myself a few bras (I just buy the supplies off the cyberwebs) or steal the straps and buckles off of old bras Smiley Did you use a hook and eye closure for the back or snaps? And is it comfortable when you lean back in a chair (Seems like that would be a lot cheaper than buying closures)

Stop being so damned positive. Staring at the sun only blinds some one. By only looking at the positive, you miss an entire beautiful world of shadows and colors. Don't be overly negative, be realistic. The world is so much more complex and beautiful that way.
Obsessive Compulsive

; p

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2009 08:43:03 PM »

i wish i could wear a bra like this... my post-baby D-thingies need to be strapped down, tied up, wired, smooshed, padded, and scolded firmly.
Except I do like padding because if I'm cold I prefer not to share that with the world.... that's my no.1 reason to wear bras with at least a BIT of padding.  Damn things attract too much attention as it is.

I have sixtybillion more ideas than actual completed projects. Blog stalker, fast talker, slow walker!
I am lorchick of ON{thelaundry}LINE blog.
Smell the flowers, kill the bugs, laugh at your mistakes, and hide the laundry! Cheesy
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2009 08:36:24 AM »

What a great idea!! I've also had an incredibly hard time finding the right fitting bra... I don't know if I could just wing it like you did, I guess I don't know unless I try!!!

Very nice job, I'm also a fan of that 1940's style bra... I hope you're able to tweak the design to your liking...

P.S. I can't believe people would actually make negative comments about your armpit hair, how rude!! It certainly is a personal choice (not my choice) but everyone should be respectful of your choice.  Smiley

I make cool stuff and do cool things, too bad I'm not cool...

Elisa - High-Maintenance Hippie

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2009 09:42:38 AM »

wow how fab! that looks very comfortable. i like how it comes pretty far down your torso, and doesn't just end below your breasts. that to me is the worst part of the bras today. i bet wearing this under a silk blouse is really stunning (and remove that uni-boob effect). i like how you used reclaimed fabric too - a woman after my own heart! i may try this!

PS. i don't shave my legs in the wintertime, and only about once per week in the summertime. i wish i had enough self-confidence to do the same for my underarms. you rock, girl!

Glittery Macabre

Nat 20! Woot!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2009 08:04:35 PM »

I lie your idea, I've been trying to make my own, too. Tired of the underwire poking into my armpits and just generally being a pain, but the big-girl bras are rediculously uncomfortable just the same. Good start at the very least, trial and error makes it more comfortable. I like a thick cotton knit cup doubled with seamed sides together, lingerie knit feels best that way, too. A little goes a long way, too. The longer line under the bust is key to keeping the girls supported properly, awesome.

Looks very period. I agree that it looks much more natural, feels more natural, too! And the hair? Not everyone shaves all the time. I like in North Dakota and I know loads of girls that don't bother shaving in the winter without a fuss, and some that never shave. It's your thing, whatever for the people that don't understand.

To everyone, bra patterns are touch and go, even from the package. Don't be too worried, just jump in!

~*My Etsy Shop*~
I'm a level 9 rouge, b***h!
I do personal swaps!

But it's my BIRTHDAY tomorrow!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2009 12:00:59 PM »

Oh super cute! I drop anywhere from $50 on a cheap one to $80 per bra! If I didn't have some F bombs to wrangle I would try it too! As for armpit hair...my hubby gets so excited when I stop shaving! In some cultures it is very sexy to have a bit of hair to peek out at times. kinda like a pubic preview. Haha! great job!

Lets all go to Jack Taylor's to celebrate!
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Take the Jumpsuit from Day to Night
Dressing For Two: Pregnancy Style With Ashley Fultz
7 Must-Know Style Tips from Shea Marie
3 Looks for 3 Instagram Filters
Fall Fashion by Anna Sui
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Witch Hat Fascinator
Beware! Black Cats!
Meatless Monday: Pickled Peppers

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...

Follow Craftster...