A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 296,586
Currently Running With Scissors:
529 Guests and 7 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Angel Clay  (Read 2259 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

nickmummy

Crafting is true ecstasy!

View Profile WWW
« on: May 21, 2009 09:16:25 PM »

Hi, any one heard of angel clay?Or the air-dried ones?

I have been look at the boards but couldn't find one that I can post, as most are polymer clays...

THIS ROCKS   Logged
Diane B.

GlassAttic --polymer clay "encyclopedia"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2009 11:08:12 AM »

Not sure I've heard of "angel clay" in particular, but googling it shows a "new" air-dry clay from Korea which is lightweight even when raw.  The main difference from other paper or grain/etc based clays that I see is the claim that it can be reconstituted once dry:
"A major strength  of Angel Clay is that water is able to restore its softness and moisture should it dry up due to exposure to air. All you need to do is spray water  on it, keep it covered in its container for a few days, and the Angel Clay can be used  again!"

It comes only in white so must be colored though, and doesn't seem to take really-fine detail the way a polymer clay, would among other things.  It also appears to bemore expensive than Makins or other air-dry clays as well as polymer clays, but it's hard to tell by volume vs. raw weight.

You can find some of the categories of the many air-dry clays available and some of their names on these pages of my site if you're interested:
http://www.glassattic.com/polymer/sculpture.htm
....click on Non-Polymer Clays, then on Air-Dry Clays
http://www.glassattic.com/polymer/Characteristics.htm
...click on Types of Clays

Many of the techniques that work for polymer clays will also work for the better quality air-dry clays though (especially just for simple sculpting, etc), so you might want to check out my site for loads of lessons for those as well (see link in sig).

I have been look at the boards but couldn't find one that I can post, as most are polymer clays...

There are currently 2 sub-boards here at craftster for polymer clay,  2 sub-boards for pottery/ceramic clay, and 2 sub-boards for "challenges" for both clays combined (seldom used). 

There really aren't any sub-boards or boards here for other air-dry clays (those not fired in a kiln) though I think it would be a great idea to have one --or at the very least, to have a "permanent-sticky" thread for them at the top of the Polymer Clay or Pottery sub-boards like the Resin, Metal Clay, Wire Jewelry sticky-threads now located at the top of the Jewelry & Trinkets board (...that Resin sticky thread currently has over 1200 posts in it though, so not a really good solution imo!  Shocked Roll Eyes).

HTH,

Diane B.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2009 11:27:56 AM by Diane B. » THIS ROCKS   Logged

POLYMER CLAY "ENCYCLOPEDIA" 
http://glassattic.com/polymer/contents.htm
few of my photos
http://s96.photobucket.com/albums/l163/DianeBB
(had to move them from YahooPhotos, so many now without captions)
nickmummy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2009 07:12:47 PM »

Hi Diane

thanks for the advice! I guess polymer clays are more popular as compared to those air-dried ones and the finished products looks realistic! I tried angel clay before but the end product looks toylish or rather childish.. dunno how to make it more realistic  Huh

In asian countries, it seemed like japanese air-dried or korean angel clay are more and more popular here for the children..  Grin, but not polymer clay, i guess to much for the kids to handle..  Cheesy

yeah, it would be a good idea to request for a "permanent" thread for the air-dried clays..  Cool
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Diane B.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2009 07:42:06 AM »

I guess polymer clays are more popular as compared to those air-dried ones and the finished products looks realistic!

Actually, there are a lot of people who like the better-quality air-dry clays too (and some of those can look pretty realistic since they're partly translucent).  I think it mostly depends on what clays people are introduced to first--they tend to get involved in those clays and only in the types of things those clays can do, so often don't hear about or experiment with other clays.

Also, air-dry clays are generally used only for "sculpting," and especially for sculpting flowers and small whimsical figurines, etc, where polymer clays can be used for much more than sculpting (one of the reasons clayers like it so much Grin).

In asian countries, it seemed like japanese air-dried or korean angel clay are more and more popular here for the children.... but not polymer clay, i guess to much for the kids to handle..

You can find polymer clayers in Asia of all ages, but since some of the big-brand air-dry clays are manufactured in Japan, etc., those are the clays that have been most heavily marketed and sold there.  (And polymer clay is still categorized as a "kids' toy" by the agencies that regulate these things!).

Diane B.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2009 07:44:38 AM by Diane B. » THIS ROCKS   Logged

few of my photos
nickmummy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2009 08:45:32 PM »

Hi Diane!

You are really a clay master!  Cheesy *Salute to you*

My understanding of polymer clay are all needed to be bake in ovens?

Do you know how to get those jelly type of clays? are those air-dried or oven clays?

Code:
a lot of people who like the better-quality air-dry clays too (and some of those can look pretty realistic since they're partly translucent)
Hmm, I tried ones from Angel Clay, you will see the "Angel" pic on my profile, looks opaque. How to find ones that are translucent that looks like gel?

THIS ROCKS   Logged
nickmummy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2009 08:54:29 PM »

polymer clays can be used for much more than sculpting

Cool May I also ask what more can polymer clays do than just sculpting?  Huh
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Diane B.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2009 08:57:07 AM »

My understanding of polymer clay are all needed to be bake in ovens?

Yes, all polymer clays require (sufficient) heat to cure and harden (they will never dry to harden like air-dry clays will because they have no water in them to dry out, only oily stuff).  Btw, "ovens" aren't the only technique for creating that heat, just the most common one.

Hmm, I tried ones from Angel Clay, you will see the "Angel" pic on my profile, looks opaque. How to find ones that are translucent that looks like gel?

When you say "gel,"it sounds like you mean something wiggly with a somewhat-soft surface but I assume you just mean translucent (or somewhat-translucent) rather than opaque, but still "hard."  There are various polymer clay lines and brands (especially the flesh-colored ones) that have a lot of translucent clay in them --a lot of translucent (some of those are also called "tinted translucents") to a little translucent (many "colors" even when they don't appear to be translucent).

The whole brand of polymer clay called Cernit uses a lot of translucent in every color except white.  And the flesh-colored polymer clays vary in how much translucent they have.
You can read about those and see some examples, etc., on this page of my site to get a better idea of the way they'll look after curing, as well as read about their different characteristics when using for "sculpting":
http://www.glassattic.com/polymer/sculpture.htm (same page as below)
...click on Polymer Clays for Sculpting

Cool May I also ask what more can polymer clays do than just sculpting?   Huh

Well, for starters, here's a concentrated list of things from my site that polymer clay can do aside from sculpting:
( http://www.glassattic.com/polymer/info_letter.htm )

..."covering" various items with sheets (or slices, bits) of patterned or decorative clay (the small items often covered range from pens to votive candleholders with light shining through, switchplates, and many more...non-bakable or large items like tables can be covered as well by using pre-baked veneers)

...all kinds of vessels can be created, large and small (boxes, bowls, small pendant containers, etc)... these can be created freestanding, over armatures, or over removable armatures)

...making "canes" (logs of clay with a pattern running through their entire length, from which identical slices can be cut--think of a jellyroll as one example)... the resulting patterns in canes can be simple, complex or anything in-between; they also can be pictorial or simply geometric ...the canes and their images can be "reduced" so that the they become quite small, then combined repeatedly to make multiple images... caning is much-used technique for many clayers

...textures or images can be impressed into raw clay in all kinds of ways (rubberstamps, texture sheets, sandpaper or other tools and items from around the house, etc.)...usually after curing, the upper surfaces can be colored or metallicized ("highlighting") or the lower areas/crevices can be colored or metallicized ("antiquing")... hardened clay can also be stamped on in the normal way

...clay can be carved into ...those areas can be filled in with other clays or liquid clay, or otherwise colored, etc.

...clay can can be used to make molds, and also to make casts from those molds (to duplicate textures, shapes, or even whole faces, etc.)... candy and many other kinds of molds can be used for clay, and other mold-making materials can also be used with clay

...clay can be extruded through a "clay gun" to create many different uniform rope shapes which can be used in many ways... it can also be extruded through icing tips, etc., using softened regular clay, liquid clay, etc.

..."transferring" b&w or color images onto clay from photographs, drawings, computer-created images/text, etc

.. fauxs...many natural materials can be convincingly simulated in clay (ivory, jade, turquoise, wood, granite, metal, etc.)

...inlay and other mosaic-type techniques

...onlay & bas relief techniques, etc.... various kinds of collage are also possible

..."paintings" of various kinds can be created with polymer pastes of various thicknesses as well as puzzle-pieced, etc.

..."mokume gane" (shaving off thin slices from layered but distorted stacks of clays/powders/inks/etc.)

...making jewlery of all kinds

...polymer clay will accept metallic materials in many ways when raw or after hardening (metal & metallic powders, metal leaf, metallic foils, metallic paints, etc.)

....seasonal items like Christmas ornaments, or things for Halloween, Valentine's, etc.

....mini-books, notebook or other covers, greeting cards, postcards, etc.

...other items like frames, games (and game pieces)

...dioramas,  as well as whole structures, landscaping, etc.

...any colors (or brands) of clay can be mixed together to create almost any new color, or colors can be mixed to make continuous blends of one color to another

...clay can also be colored with other media as well ... they can be colored throughout, or only on the surface, with various paints, inks, colored pencils, chalks, metallic (mica-containing) powders, metallic leaf and foils, glitters, embossing powders, etc....this can happen before or after hardening in many cases

...various inclusions can be mixed into clay, often into the "translucent" color (e.g., metallic powders, spices/herbs, glitters)

...mica clay ... the metallic "mica-containing" solid clay colors have special properties and can be used for special effects (as well as being used as regular colors)

...translucent clay...another special "color" of clay is translucent (which can even be transparent in very thin sheets)... used in lots of ways

...polymer clay also comes in a liquid form (liquid clay) which can be used in many ways ...can also be colored and accept inclusions/embedments ...create or help create transfers, make translucent window clings...simulate "stained glass," cloisonne, lampwork, etc... be used as a glue... be cast and baked in silicone molds

...finishing...clay can be left as it is after baking, or it can be sanded and buffed to a sheen or glossy shine... (or a liquid finish can be used for the same effects)

...clay can also be used in various ways with many other media ( wire, paper, beads, charms, stamps, fabric, etc.)

...clay can be used with various glues as well, including gluing baked clay bits onto non-bakable items

(and way too much more to list!)

HTH,

Diane B.

« Last Edit: May 28, 2009 09:35:07 AM by Diane B. » THIS ROCKS   Logged

few of my photos
jloveg
Tutorial Contributor

GOD LOVES YOU AND SO DO I!!!

need me email me! jat42171@yahoo.com

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2009 09:02:00 AM »

http://www.crayola.com/canwehelp/products/AirDryClay/index.cfm   that is crayola air dry clay
http://www.tinkleartroom.com/angelclay.html     that is angel clay
THIS ROCKS   Logged

looking for instant coffee from australia or russia made with mustard and champagne.  VIOLET CRUMBLES and VEGEMITE would be welcome swap items!!
something_wierd
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Evil will always triumph because good is dumb.

I like pointy things.

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2009 06:03:46 PM »

Air-dry clay projects are welcome on the Polymer Clay board.  As of right now, there is not enough of a difference in the ways polymer and air-dry clays are used by Craftsters to warrant a new board.  Of course, you are more than welcome to give any ideas that you have on the "Suggest New Boards" thread.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Polymer Clay Challenge #2 has a winner, RobbinZombie!  her entry was The Kraken  She will receive a prize from Persephone Rose!
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Crown Braid Hair Tutorial
A Woman’s First Haircut in Nearly 30 Years
How to Give Your Hair Volume
DIY Leave-In Conditioner
How To Achieve Bouncy Waves with Cesar Ramirez
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Art Dolls
Meatless Monday: Texas Pecan Pesto
@Home This Weekend: Celebrate Your State

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...