A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can get cheap (and legal! Wink) advertising by donating a challenge prize! Go here for more info.
Total Members: 296,698
Currently Running With Scissors:
599 Guests and 12 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: etiquette question-- re-gifting supplies?  (Read 2565 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

thanate
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

wanting to do everything is *no excuse* for not doing anything.

crafty alchemist (now, with tea!)

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: March 02, 2009 12:46:57 PM »

Say you've been swapping for a while, and you've gotten several fantastic packages, many of which included extra supplies (a handful of beads, some fabric used as wrapping, leftover bits of supplies bought for one of the crafts...) and you know you're never going to get around to using them. 

Is it tacky to send that handful of beads or whatever on to a partner in some later swap, if you think she'll love them?  I'm not talking crafted items, of course, just supplies/extras.  Opinions?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

crafty gurll
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2009 07:06:16 PM »

I think that would be ok to send as an extra as long as what you sent was something you thought your partner would like.  If someone else can use it, why hang on to it? Cheesy 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

SevsOnlyGirl

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2009 03:04:07 AM »

I think it would be okay to send extra supplies on...perhaps you have too many or they weren't exactly your taste, but your new partner would love them.  You might want to, as a courtesy, let the person who sent them know and make note of that to the person you're sending to - just so no one's feelings get hurt.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
troll1984
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2009 05:20:03 PM »

I've seen my things pop up a few times on the fill a box swaps. I don't mind. Sometimes you just get things that don't suit you or you may not have a use for. I think we all understand that we don't all have the same tastes, and pass things along so eventually they'll get to someone that says "Hey, I've been looking for that!" or "I have the perfect use for that!"
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Ashley's Wife, Austin and Allie's Mommy!

My Photography, My Blog, My Shop, My Wist
Aquilla da Hun

Mommys Little Monsters

« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2009 07:25:09 AM »

today i saw an item i crafted for someone - she sent it as the main craft item for the same swap just a later round.

I can understand re-gifting small extra items- supplies etc. But 2 of the 3 things she sent her new swap partner were made by me!

I was very upset and a bit angry. In many ways it seems wrong because those items i made were made personally for her. Isnt that what swapping is all about? to make and receive items that are crafted specifically for that person. It was upsetting because it shows that she didnt make anything personal for that woman, just re-gifted!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Show me a man with a tattoo and I'll show you a man with an interesting past.  ~Jack London

Our bodies are our gardens, -to which our wills are gardeners!   ~William Shakespeare
thanate

wanting to do everything is *no excuse* for not doing anything.

crafty alchemist (now, with tea!)

« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2009 08:02:35 AM »

today i saw an item i crafted for someone - she sent it as the main craft item for the same swap just a later round.

Um, wow.  I think I'd seriously consider contacting the organizer and/or swap mods about that, since not only is it rude of her, it's effectively lying if she's claiming that she made something you sent her.  At very least, if she didn't actually craft anything for the swap, she probably hasn't fulfilled the swap requirements.   Embarrassed
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Aquilla da Hun

Mommys Little Monsters

« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2009 08:12:12 AM »

i would be torn to report her. i dont think it was done rudely. and i dont know all the circumstances. maybe she never used it and it didnt quite fit her tastes and she passed it on to her new partner. maybe she told her new partner she was doing this. i dont know enough about the situation.

i read another thread in the swap section about how other crafters have done the same thing but they let the orig. crafter know they were going to give it to someone else in a swap.

in all honesty if she wasnt using it and it didnt fit her 'likes' then i hope this new owner will use it. i would rather it be appreciated by someone than thrown away or left in a closet to collect dust.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Show me a man with a tattoo and I'll show you a man with an interesting past.  ~Jack London

Our bodies are our gardens, -to which our wills are gardeners!   ~William Shakespeare
alteredmommy
Swap Moderator
More Art, Less Craft Moderator

I'm an altered girl, in an altered world....

Colour outside the lines!

« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2009 09:06:56 AM »

I can understand re-gifting small extra items- supplies etc. But 2 of the 3 things she sent her new swap partner were made by me!

I was very upset and a bit angry. In many ways it seems wrong because those items i made were made personally for her. Isnt that what swapping is all about? to make and receive items that are crafted specifically for that person. It was upsetting because it shows that she didnt make anything personal for that woman, just re-gifted!

From the "Tips for Swappers" http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=6553.0   Unless you are participating in a supply swap, make sure the majority (if not all!) of the items you send are crafted. Its ok to include small purchased extras that you know your partner will enjoy, but the large items should be handmade by you. This is a craft site!  It is not acceptable to send purchased items when your partner is working hard to make something for you.  
There have been instances in the Shop the Swap where people list things in their shop made by other crafters with credit, but in that swap you are not paired with a specific partner nor crafting to a specific theme.  

Please open a help desk ticket with your concerns and we'll look into it for you.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2009 09:08:29 AM by alteredmommy » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Craftster Mobile has launched!  Find out more here

Have a Swap Problem?  Please open a HELP DESK ticket!!
MissDisney
will you take me to gang practice? yis?

You will never guess

« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2009 02:07:50 AM »

while i rarely regift crafted items, i have in the past (maybe twice the entire time i have been swapping, which is long before i came to this site) , because honestly, wouldnt you prefer the item you made being in a home that will really love it vs. sitting on some shelf being ignored??

and as for supplies, if i wont use it, i think its better to give it away than throw it away. i certainly dont want to feel obligated to use something i dont want to (this is all art after all)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

i think im back....9 months almost to the day but i miss art, and i missed you guys!
hngoodlett

I'm an Aunt Ralph!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2009 07:06:22 PM »

I think that I would prefer my swap partner to re-gift something if they really don't like it/won't use it, but it's rude to do it in another swap here, where the original crafter is likely to see it in a gallery. If I got something I wasn't going to use, I might give it to a friend or family member who would like it, but I woudn't "re-swap" it.

As far as supplies, I think that is okay. Sometimes stash gets out of control and sending that to someone who might can use it is okay.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Wist!
http://www.wists.com/hngoodlett

50 in 2011
10/50
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Get Beachy Waves
How To Get Temporary Bangs With Clip In Extensions
7 Ways to Wear a Head Scarf
How to French Fishtail Braid
Fix Hat Hair for Good with These Easy Tips
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad
@Home This Weekend: Teacup Bird Feeder
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...