A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 304,867
Currently Running With Scissors:
394 Guests and 16 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 [All]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Crocheting with Arthritis  (Read 3782 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

bbms_mom
« on: March 02, 2009 10:30:12 AM »

Hi there,

I am a 35yr old, self taught crochet addict.(lol) I also have arthritis. It has become very frustrating, dealing with it, when it comes to crocheting, the best advice I recieved by the rheumatologist was to just stop. Well, that just isnt an option.

I was wondering if anyone else with Arthritis or mobility issues have any hints or advice.

thanks !
THIS ROCKS   Logged
dawnsierra
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2009 11:45:12 AM »

Hey there! I'm also a self taught 30-something crochet addict with arthritis! What a small world.. lol

Well mine has gotten a bit better since I started taking calcium (being in your 30s quite often arthritis is due to some kind of calcium deficiency.) Also I take frequent breaks and do a few simple hand stretches before and after crocheting.
I decided when I started to crochet to use the more comfortable method however less 'feminine'.. I grip my hook rather than hold it delicately like a pencil. (Sorry difficult to describe.) Oh and I do find working with thread (which I prefer) tends to be less strenuous on my hands.

Sorry I'm not much help but I do feel your pain. Its such a nuisance when something like arthritis at such a young age interferes with your much loved hobby.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My very empty etsy shop...
http://dawnsierra.etsy.com

My deviant art account...
http://dawnsierra.deviantart.com
Persephone Hazard
I'm not going to live my life on one side of an ampersand

That song was about me.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2009 12:06:44 PM »

yeah, me too (though I am a TOTAL beginner to crochet, I'm not so much of a beginner to arthritis! [grin]) - actually, there are a bunch of us here.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

When she was good, she was very very good - but when she was bad she was fabulous.
sewhappysue

addicted to dolls

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2009 11:04:37 PM »

I'm almost double your age and my DR. also says stop..NOT HAPPENING. I find running hot water over my hands helps a lot. There are also paraffin baths you can put your hands into. At night I have a moist heat heating pad next to me and every so often wrap my hands in it. The dry heat doesn't seem to work as well for me.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
fantasticmio
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Yarn Hacker

Smells like chicken!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2009 06:48:11 AM »

I've heard that using a hook with a bigger handle on it helps, though I don't have any firsthand experience with it (er, no pun intended).  You can buy all sorts of hook sizes with larger handles, so you might want to try it out.

I second the "grip the hook" advice.  I hold my hook like a knife rather than like a pencil.

I picked up a special hook set at a craft show last year.  It's basically a ball of wood and you change the hooks in and out like you'd change a drill bit.  I haven't had much practice with it yet.  I found the yarn was catching on the o-rings when doing dc, so I gave it to my dad to see if he could solve the problem for me.  It kind of fell to the wayside over the winter, though.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

OliviaNicole
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2009 08:02:30 PM »

I dont have athritis but I have this:

http://www.provocraft.com/products/detail.php?cl=knifty%20knitter&scl=needlecrafts&cat=&item=21-0246

They definitely make my hands hurt less!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
bbms_mom
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2009 01:13:34 PM »

Thank you for your replies !

I have heard of those wooden ball hook things, I will definately look into one ! anything that will let me continue to crochet !
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kiewiet
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2009 12:19:03 AM »

Know the feeling!
I got my daughter to make me some polymer clay handles around old hooks. It took a bit of time to find the right size and not exceed my weight limits  Wink but just having a thicker grip makes life a LOT better for me. We also extended the lenth to suit my hand. I have often thought about wrapping some kind of rubber or plastic around - it would be a lot softer and lighter than the clay. I do love my clay hooks though - every time I use them I feel very honoured to have such a caring and inventive daughter
THIS ROCKS   Logged
angeltreats
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2009 02:29:51 AM »

Funny you should post this... my mum has arthritis in her hands.  She doesn't crochet, but she knits, and her doctor seems to think that knitting will help stop her hands from becoming stiff and encourages her to do it.  And I have arthritis in my ankle that gets very painful when I sit/lie down for a while but is fine as long as I'm moving around.  I guess different doctors have different views (and I'm not saying that anyone is right or wrong!).

I do have some lovely crochet hooks that are very comfortable to use, Clover soft touch hooks, maybe they would help a bit?  They sit in your hand nicely and don't require that you grip them as tightly as a traditional hook does.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

astamour
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2009 11:43:58 AM »

I slide a foam rubber pencil grip over my hooks.  It helps with a lot of wrist pain that I get when I crochet.

There are a lot of homeopathic remidies for arthritis, too.  It might help to treat the arthritis this way in addition to taking extra care when you are crafting.  (My grandma swears that eating gin-soaked raisins (6-9 a day) helps.  I havn't gotten desparate enough to try yet.)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm pro-accordion, and I vote!
Artisticsue
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2009 04:37:51 PM »

I had to chime in.  I have artritis, too, and used both the clover & provo hooks.  I like the provo best.  I found it at Michaels.  I'd like to try the wooden ball.  I've also sometimes wear one of those spandex fingerless gloves which seems to help a bit.  It would very hard to give up my handwork.  I've also heard that knitting or crocheting does exercise the joints. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
anitacj
wist:anitacj77

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2009 12:56:14 PM »

Hi!I too have arthritis in both hands which is a hecka problem.I just turned 50 & never have had arthritis til now.Even today my hands have hurt for 2 days now.I take glucosamine + otc pain pills.Just to make it through the day.Right now I've put crocheting on hold for awhile.But I will get back to it hopefully.I have a friend who's dr. told her to keep doing handwork because it's good for the the joints.She does embroidery alot. Grin.I refuse to end up like my grandmother.The dr. told her to keep useing her hands & keep moving.What did she do but go home sit down more & more each day.In less than 3 months whe was in a wheelchair,eventually she was totally housebound  Sad.I will not end up like that. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

look at wists for my likes & dislikes
German_Crochet_Monster
beginner in the underground

Sweet sacrifice

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2009 01:52:35 PM »

Hey everyone i don't have athritis, but i heard about a lot of crocheters having it. Here in Germany it's kind of modern to put some "Boondoggle" (?) around the hooks. which will look like this:

http://www.creadoo.com/images/Handportal/Dies&Das/kikla-scoubidou-nadel.JPG

that's a picture from a german side.. and the explanation is on it too. You can make this plastic lacing as thick as you want, it isn't very difficult, makes the hooks more comfortable and the laces are a lot easier than polymer clay.

hope this helped you a bit.

greetings
THIS ROCKS   Logged

my YoutubeChannel: http://www.youtube.com/user/Shevory

WWKIP 09! - make something for life!
hrluke
« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2014 06:16:01 PM »

I found a great hook that has helped me tremendously. It has a large, cushy gel handle. It really prevents my hands from cramping and is much easier to handle then the smaller "large handle hooks." It is called the Gatorgrab Comfort Gel Handle Hook. Grin  It doesn't require me to slip it onto my hooks. Its one piece and comes in a variety of sizes.  I bought mine on Amazon.com. I originally saw it on Etsy.com

http://www.amazon.com/Comfort-Grip-Crochet-Hook-size/dp/B00IP22G0M/ref=sr_1_19?ie=UTF8&qid=1394932214&sr=8-19&keywords=comfort+grip+crochet+hook
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [All] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make a Kirigami Chinese Lantern
How to Make a Kirigami Sheep
How to Make a Kirigami Butterfly
Recycled Paper Art Necessities
Choosing Paper Type for Recycled Paper Art
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Easy Tile Coasters
Tute Tuesday: Scrabble Afghan
These Are a Few of My Favorite (Spooky!) Things

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...