A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 295,061
Currently Running With Scissors:
665 Guests and 26 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Mario Mushroom Hat  (Read 17131 times)
Tags for this thread: super_mario , mushroom , hat , mario , video_game  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

susieoregon
« on: March 02, 2009 07:58:51 AM »

A work friend of mine wanted me to make her 18 month old son a hat.  She's a big Super Mario fan (just like me) so I thought it would be fun to try my hand at a Mario themed hat.  I didn't have a pattern for the mushroom and I had never worked with more than 2 color yarns at the same time, but I thought I would wing it.  I found a simple picture of the mushroom on-line and then created my own color pattern using some graph paper.

I think it would have been simpler if I had used black, red or white as the background color for the hat as then I would have only needed to work with 3 colors instead of 4, but I still think it turned out amazingly well for my first time.

Here it is:

« Last Edit: March 02, 2009 10:13:27 AM by susieoregon » THIS ROCKS   Logged
twelvedaysold

http://twelvedaysold.blogspot.com/

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2009 08:01:25 AM »

I just can't believe you came up with your own pattern!  You rock!  Aw yeah!  Do the Bender!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
susieoregon
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2009 10:08:58 AM »

Well thank you, I am working on a pattern for a goomba right now.  Making new hats for my niece and nephew.  You might know them.  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged
krazygurlygirl
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2009 11:34:15 AM »

totally awesome!  I used to be a super mario brother fanatic (anyone remember the old style Nintendo??  man I'm old!)

I'm loving this!  Could you maybe post the color chart you created?  I'm sure there are lots of us here that would appreciate it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
susieoregon
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2009 01:20:39 PM »

Oh thank you.  Ok, the one I did at home is just pen and paper, but here is a replica in that I did in paint.  Hope it helps!

One sc per square.  It makes about a 5 inch square mushroom (depending on thickness of yarn and size of hook.)  I used a H hook and just some Red Heart acrylic yarn that I had left over.  I imagine any hat pattern will work just fine.  I worked the 4 colors while I was doing the mushroom and then dropped them and weaved them in.  So I started and finished the hat in only one color.

I was thinking about making some potholders with cotton yarn with this same pattern and just doubling the size.  I'll let you know how that works out.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2009 02:15:54 PM by susieoregon » THIS ROCKS   Logged
AprilDraven
Tutorial Contributor

I aim to misbehave

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2009 03:10:12 PM »

Looks great. I think you made the right decision on not using black for the background. I made a mario hat for my husband the year before last and I started it with black but I got about a quarter of the way done and realized that it didn't look good because the outline of the mushroom is black. so good call on you. Here is a tip that might save you some time with graph paper. Use perler beads for the pattern. Each bead would be a square. Tada you have any mario pattern you want Smiley
Here is an example:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/foglera/362613133/
go to flickr and do a search for perler beads and there are tons you can use for patterns.

« Last Edit: March 04, 2009 08:21:04 AM by antarcticraft » THIS ROCKS   Logged
susief00

Live and let.......Crochet!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2009 08:42:21 PM »

Love it!!!

Thanks for the graph...I really want to try this on something!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

tarzioo
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2009 11:34:37 PM »

awesome!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
susieoregon
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2009 06:12:58 AM »

April-

Thanks for the link to the perler bead coasters.  I don't know if I would use them for patterns, but those coasters are adorable.  I feel like making some now.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Birdythemighty
Distracted by shiney

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2009 10:58:54 AM »

this hat is awesome!!

you did amazing. i've been crocheting for a while and I don't think i could pull that off!

bravo
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Lok-Tar Ogar!

Birdy's Blog: http://birdythemighty.blogspot.com/
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Chicken and Supreme Sauce
Easy Breakfast Recipe
Trifecta Mac N’Cheese Recipe
How to Make Salty Snack Medley
How to Make Smothered Potatoes
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight On: Amigurumi
Mr X Stitch Presents: The Cutting (& Stitching) Edge - Karen Casper
Tute Tuesday: Wooden Chain

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...