A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 297,182
Currently Running With Scissors:
444 Guests and 16 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Idea: Animal Shelter pet bed from unwanted snowpants  (Read 2779 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

manunson
« on: March 01, 2009 04:49:16 PM »

Craftsters=my peeps. 
If anyone can understand how my random brain works, you guys can!  Here's an idea I came up with and am posting for all y'all animal shelter crafters to steal be inspired by.

1) I have a puppy that sometimes has sleepovers on my friend's farm. I wanted him to have a bed at the farm, but seeing how dirty & smelly he gets, was NOT going to buy one from a pet store.  I wanted one I could easily throw in the wash.
2) I was looking on craftster and saw some great ideas for pet beds out of towels and fleece. Still, I didn't want to buy new poly fill (yes I'm cheap!).  The posts described the cold concrete floor that most shelter animals have to sleep on.
3) One of my favorite places to shop is the "pay-by-the-pound" thrift store we have in town.  I have two young daughters and they need snowpants for home and school. I kept finding snowpants with one flaw-- you guessed it -- the knees worn out.  I thought it was a shame that these nice warm snowpants were discarded for 4 sq inches of imperfection.

So, add them all up, and what do you get?  Snowpants pet bed!

Why I love it:  Cheap (snowpants don't weigh a lot, so I can get them cheap at my favorite "store".  OR, just use the ones my kids have wrecked!).  Easily washable.  Warm and water resistant. Easily convertible, and it keeps stuff out of landfills!   

Next time I do one, I'll take more before & during pictures, or if I'm super ambitious write a tut, but for now, just use your imagination from the final photo. 
Basically, cut off legs, sew together to form one long tube, sew tube (now the bed's side) on to rear/bib part of snowpants (now bed's bottom).  Turn right-side out to hide the seams from those picky shelter kitties & puppies (just kidding) and you're done!  Someone more ambitious than me could easily whip up a dozen of these in a single afternoon. 

Enjoy and I hope that someone can take their love of crafting and passion for animals and upcycle cast-offs for good use especially as the snow starts to melt (soon, I hope, right?)

P.S.  If you're crafty and have a passion for stroke victims instead of/in addition to animals, stay tuned for my next post regarding my sister.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Looking for your extra inventory for a silent auction to help my sister.  See my post in "crafting for good..."
dancindharma
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2009 04:51:23 PM »

This is terrific!!  Thank you!
Jenn
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Jenn Smiley

My friend, Emily, is giving away free lesson on how to make a boutique girls hair bow.  Get your free hairbow lesson at http://www.LearnHowToMakeBows.com

Submit Your Craft Video and Win $300.00
http://www.CraftsContest.weebly.com
BonEsInspired
BonesInspired

"Imagination is more important than knowledge."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2009 05:12:04 PM »

wow...I know this will sound odd but...I love you! lol
What a great project. I truly like everything about this post because it reminds me so much of myself Smiley hehe...and it's a helpful project in so many ways!
I didn't want to buy new poly fill (yes I'm cheap!...
As an avid recycler, I know how you feel. To be honest I've never bought new poly fill...I wash fill from old pillows and stuffies. So don't feel cheap, you totally didn't need new poly fill for this project.
One of my favorite places to shop is the "pay-by-the-pound" thrift store
Hurray for by the pound stores!!

I had much more to write lol but my babe just woke up...but again, what a fantastic project and kudos to you for playing a major role in saving the planet... (one pair of snowpants at a time hehe) The pet bed looks great and really comfy Smiley I'm sure your little doggie will love it.
Cheers!
« Last Edit: March 01, 2009 05:15:14 PM by BonEsInspired » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Bubbleparty
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2009 05:22:16 PM »

How sweet! I used to volunteer at a shelter, and I can tell you things like this are GREATLY appreciated.
Thats a really good idea, and it looks warm, too!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kittykill
Global Moderator
Guest Blogger
Needlework Moderator
Occasions and Holidays Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I got 99 problems, but a stitch ain't one.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2009 09:31:50 PM »

What a cool idea.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

betty@freekidscrafts.com
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2009 08:11:45 AM »

Great idea! We adopted a dog from an animal shelter and I like to think that they are as comfortable as possible while they are there.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Lisa C
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2009 07:15:53 PM »

Funny thing I just today found like five pairs of snow pants in my basement, and my son left a pair out in the yard last week that I'm sure are wrecked, LOL! I also have a puppy (57 pounds) that is need of a bed, thanks for the idea.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
PixieVal
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

There is no right or wrong, when it comes to making art. Making sure that you have fun is the most important part. -Mickey Mouse

Did he just go crazy and fall asleep?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2009 05:46:41 PM »

flipping brilliant
THIS ROCKS   Logged

nmcmillen2006
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2009 06:33:52 AM »

I love that idea, the one that is near us, is always asking for items so why not make beds and blankets. I have lots of yarn and material hanging around the house.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Only Jessica Alba Can Make This Color Combo Look Chic
Trend Takeout: How to Throw On and Go Your Dress This Summer
Tara Lipinski and Johnny Weir Show Us What Olympians Wear to Work
Back to School Style Tips
Back-to-School Style Inspiration
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: DIY Drum Light
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...