A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 302,542
Currently Running With Scissors:
580 Guests and 12 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Industrial Laundry Hampers (a little pic heavy and overly verbose)  (Read 1214 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

athenaknits?
« on: March 01, 2009 02:32:16 PM »

I, like many apartment dweller, have to haul my laundry to a laundrymat in order to get it done quickly and efficiently.  About 6 months ago, my roommate got a laundry hamper with wheels, which was one of the greatest ideas ever.  Unfortunately the casters were just not tough enough to handle the abuse and the nylon fabric was starting to show some wear and tear. So we decided to improve on the concept and go industrial.
First a farewell to the old barely wheeled hamper.

A Picture of one of the completed bags

We used 2 plywood rounds per hamper, all metal casters from the hardware store and canvas from the local fabric store.  I measured the circumference of the circle, cut a tube slightly larger than neccessary, sewed the tube, staple gunned it onto the top of one of the plywood rounds, took the other plywood round sandwiched the fabric between the two wood round and screwed in the casters through both pieces of wood. The extra bonus of making these is the fact that we both got to pick out fabric that matches our individual decor.  handles were made with the left over fabric from the basic tube shape of the hamper.  I put in drawstrings on the top to cinch the tops when full.
 here is a shot of the inside of my hamper

Contact paper was put on the top round to keep moisture away from the bare wood.

A shot of the wheels.

If anyone wants more detailed instructions, let me know and I can post something a little more step by step
THIS ROCKS   Logged
cherry_blossom55
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2009 02:51:10 PM »

that's so awesome! I would totally make one of those.

now if only there was a way to make it climb a flight of stairs. lol. Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

athenaknits?
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2009 08:02:14 PM »

That would be pretty sweet, though the main reason for the wheels being metal was so they could bang up against metal and concrete without busting.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Martyni
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2009 06:58:54 AM »

That looks great - nice, roomy and practical. And to top to all off its pretty! Great.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
_wheres_waldo_
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2009 05:11:48 PM »

this is pretty sweet. i just bought one of the wheeled hampers from bed bath about 2 months ago and it's already dying.  maybe i should try this while i'm home for break.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
athenaknits?
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2009 10:35:41 PM »

That's where my roomate got hers.  I think the 18" round is the closest to matching the size of the original hamper
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Jewelry Care Tips - Assessing the Security of Your Jewelry
Jewelry Care Tips - Sorting Your Jewelry Box
Pitfalls when Buying Diamond
What are Diamond Certificates
Understanding the Diamond Carat Size
Latest Blog Articles
DIY Summer
Craft Challenge 101 Announced - Stash Buster
July 8, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...