A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News:  Vote now for your favorite craft challenge entry!  THREE amazing Ticketmaster prizes up for grabs this month.  Who will get one?
Total Members: 301,656
Currently Running With Scissors:
388 Guests and 4 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Table skirt "how to"?  (Read 22012 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

AbbyRose
« on: March 01, 2009 01:26:42 PM »

I was hoping to get some tips or ideas from someone on how to make pleated table-skirting for a craft show. Something like this:

I want it to be able to wrap around three sides of an 8' x 2 1/2' table. That way, if I do a show and can only get the smaller 6' table it won't overlap at the back.

Has anyone made one of these? How much extra fabric I need to buy to get the pleats right? Should I buy twice as much as the length I need? ie: 2 1/2 + 8 + 2 1/2 = 13 ft, so I'd need 26 ft to pleat it properly?

No matter what, I'm going to attempt this and I intend to post a tutorial when I do. Hopefully it turns out well and my trials and errors can help other avoid paying scandalous amounts of money to buy one.

Any help or suggestions are more than welcome!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Adorable handmade childrens hoodies in stock now!
Wistful Thinking.
I love to DYE Smiley
Handmade cloth diapers, booties, bags and more! www.abbyrosecreations.ca
zenochka
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2009 09:18:28 AM »

I'm actually making one up today lol! I have my own 6 foot table and am making a table cover with an attached skirt. Kind of like a bed skirt but for a table if that makes any sense. The top of it will lay over the table and then the pleats will be at the edge. I'll take a picture when I have it all done
THIS ROCKS   Logged

employed = hardly any time to sew :-(
AbbyRose
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2009 09:48:43 AM »

Oooh! I'd love to see pics when you are finished. Or even pics of it in process.

I'm trying to work out how to make one that can be used for a 6 foot table or an 8 foot table. If I do it with an attached skirt I'd still have to do it in two pieces and when it goes on a 6' table the middle would overlap about a foot and 1/2. It makes sense in my head but I have yet to work it on on fabric Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Adorable handmade childrens hoodies in stock now!
Wistful Thinking.
I love to DYE Smiley
Handmade cloth diapers, booties, bags and more! www.abbyrosecreations.ca
zenochka
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2009 08:17:02 PM »

I was able to get it done tonight, in about 5 hours of me working on and off on getting it done and being pestered by 3 kids lol. I found a pattern for a bedskirt and just altered it to fit the table.
I got 14 (yes 14!) yards of fabric. I used 2 yards for the top and 12 yards for the ruffled skirt.
The top I cut it to fit right on, so it measured 2 yds by 31 inches and I serged the ends. Then put it aside.
The 12 yards I cut to be 31 inches long and then serged and hemmed the bottom and side edges. I just left the top the way it was. Then I took 12 yards of a very thin ribbon and did a large zig zag stitch over the ribbon at the top unhemmed edge. I laid the top piece on the table and the pinned the skirt to the table, pulling the ribbon to ruffle it. I used a lot of pins. After it was pinned I sewed the skirt to the top. The way I sewed it was by laying the ruffled skirt on top of the serged end of the top of the fabric so when it lays on the table the ruffles stand up. Does that make sense? I overlapped the edge and have an opening in the back. There are still a few spots I have to fix but I'm pretty happy with how it turned out
Here is the site I used to go by: http://www.fabriclandwest.com/Home_Dec/bed_skirts.htm

And here is a picture of my skirt all done set up on the table in my living room

the back of the table where I have the opening

I like having it all in one piece so I don't have to worry about attaching a table skirt right to a table cover. I went with black b/c I figured it would make the colors pop out more and white would get too dirty
THIS ROCKS   Logged

employed = hardly any time to sew :-(
uglyshyla
Ugly Shyla

Ugly Shyla and Ugly Art Dolls

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2009 01:34:26 PM »

YAY this makes me happy I have been too lazy to figure up all the sizing info on my own.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Find me on most social media under @uglyshyla
Doll and Art Etsy
http://uglyartdotnet.etsy.com
Website http://www.uglyart.net
My famous Painting Squirrel http://www.facebook.com/winkelthesquirrel
oneyedsally

Fabric is taking over my house!

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2009 11:42:04 AM »

I would do shirring or elastic as opposed to pleating. Too much pinning and pressing for me! Plus you have some wiggle room in case your table is a different size or shape or you screw up the measurements. I have a great book at home called "The Art of Manipulating Fabric" with formulas for calculating fabric needed for pleats, gathers, etc.

I have always heard a good rule of thumb is your elastic should be 2/3 the length of your fabric. So I think you would want the elastic to fit comfortably around the table with just a bit of stretch, so measure the two sides, the front, and any overlap for the back , maybe subtract a couple inches, and divide your total by (2/3) to get the total length of fabric you would need. For shirring it really depends on the tension in your machine, but it seems like the same rule would apply since it's elastic thread.

It sounds like zenochka's method is similar to using elastic, but you don't have the stretch at the end to play around with. I'm thinking that might help the tablecloth to stay on the table too.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

If you like handmade bags and purses, check out my etsy!

http://londonpurple.etsy.com

My blog http://londonpurple.blogspot.com
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Selective Blurring
Photography Tips - How to Prevent Blur
Capturing Images
Lighting Techniques
Photography Tips - How to Protect Camera Lens
Latest Blog Articles
Get Lost in a Book
Meatless Monday: Banana-Pineberry Bread
@Home This Weekend: Souvenir Tea Towel Pillow

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...