A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can now organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 300,899
Currently Running With Scissors:
352 Guests and 4 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Has Anyone Tried This Recipe? How Long Would It Last?  (Read 1251 times)
Tags for this thread: hostess_gift  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Scatter Kincaid
Keeping It Crafty Since 1983

One Girl. One Obsession. Many Crafts.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: March 10, 2007 08:20:56 AM »

Has anyone tried out this recipe or a recipe like this?

Breakfast for your Skin - (Oatmeal & Brown Sugar Scrub)
Exfoliates and is very moisturizing but doesn't leave a greasy feeling. Before you turn off your shower scoop a small handful of scrub into your hand. Rub gently onto your skin. Rinse.

3/4 cup Brown Sugar
1/2 cup ground oatmeal (not instant)
1/4 cup pure honey
3/4 to 1 cup (or to total saturation)
Oil of choice - I use Jojoba, Grapeseed or Sweet Almond
1/4 tsp Essential or Fragrance oil of choice (optional) Vanilla works nicely. Though this smells great on it's own.

Mix the brown sugar & oatmeal together in a large bowl. Now add the honey. Drizzle the oil over the mix. Mix well. When all your mix is saturated and sinks to the bottom of the bowl and you have oil on top you're done. Add your essential oil or fragrance oil. A six or eight ounce wide-mouthed jar works nicely. Spoon mixture in.

(from http://www.teachsoap.com/recipes.html)

I'm wondering how long it will last?  Would this stuff go bad?  I'm thinking of making it for a gift, so if it goes bad I'd like to put a warning on it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ariaya
Craft-a-holic

What your heart thinks is great, is great.

« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2007 01:38:52 PM »

I would guess that it wouldn't spoil very quickly .. but then I'm not sure with that much honey ... if I was going to make it to give away I'd add some preservatives.

Looks like a good recipe though .. I might have to try it myself!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Victoria
~ What your heart thinks is great, is great. ~
~ What Your Heart Thinks Blog ~ Twitter ~
Scatter Kincaid
Keeping It Crafty Since 1983

One Girl. One Obsession. Many Crafts.

« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2007 01:46:25 PM »

I would guess that it wouldn't spoil very quickly .. but then I'm not sure with that much honey ... if I was going to make it to give away I'd add some preservatives.

Looks like a good recipe though .. I might have to try it myself!

Thanks for the info!  What kind/brand of perservative would you suggest?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

kholbert
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2007 01:54:09 PM »

honey is almost 100% sugar and, as a result, very few microbes will grow on/in it. honey by itself is virtually unspoilable and a natural anti-microbial, but i don't know about the rest of the ingredients.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ariaya
Craft-a-holic

What your heart thinks is great, is great.

« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2007 01:58:16 PM »

If the honey isn't a big deal as Kholbert says, then as long as this mixture doesn't get wet it should be fine.

The only real concern with the oils is them going rancid, and you have to have this stuff last a while for that.   The oatmeal should be fine as long as it's dry and sealed away from bugs.

Personally, I put a preservative in anything that goes in the shower as water can/will get in and thats when icky things can happen.

I use phenonip for most of my preservatives, but some people have issues with it.  I have another preservative that I was using .. Germbane or something like that ... the bottle is at home and I haven't been using it long.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Victoria
~ What your heart thinks is great, is great. ~
~ What Your Heart Thinks Blog ~ Twitter ~
Nymeria
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Captain of the S.S. Kill Beast Buffet

I do not like the cone of shame.

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2007 11:54:19 PM »

honey by itself is virtually unspoilable and a natural anti-microbial, but i don't know about the rest of the ingredients.

Actually, honey is the *only* food that *never* spoils. They've found honey in tombs in Egypt that is still edible. Impress your friends at Trivial Persuit!

But to the point, I make CP soap and a lot of the recipes use "Grapefruit seed extract" to prolong the shelf life of soap because it has antiseptic, antibiotic, and antioxident properties (say that three times fast). I imagine a little dab would prolong the life of this scrub, too. You can sometimes find it at Whole Foods, Wild Oats, or other organic food markets. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

For all things Black Library and WH 40k, check out my Examiner page!

Nerd girls of the world, unite!
lavale
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2009 01:45:25 PM »

Hello!
Almond oil goes rancid easily. How don't know how long does it take, but I would use another oil (jojoba would be better).
About Grapefruit seed extract, it works because of the preservative it has, so I would better not use it.

Ciao
Vale
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Devierue
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2009 02:41:45 PM »

I made something similar (all except the oatmeal) using grapeseed oil. I made up little cosmetic-like sets for the holidays last year and gave them out to friends.

4 months now, and haven't heard any negative reports back. Honey lasts just about forever, so I wasn't too worried. If you want to sell it to people outside of friends/family, however, I'd look into preservatives a bit more. For personal use, it should be fine.

Someone mentioned that water from the shower can cause the little nasties to grow...I wasn't to sure about this for aforementioned gift sets, so I bought up a bunch of little plastic top pots (like little tupperwares, but smaller and less durable - came in a pack of TEN for $1...go go Dollar Store!) and put the concoction in there, which is about a 2 use portion (one use if you're using it all over the body)...

As far as shelf-life, indefinite. Check it before you use it (I don't know anyone that WOULDN'T look at something before smearing it on their flesh, but...), and it should be good!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Capturing the Invisible World of Technology with Graphic Design
Golden Rules for Successful Collaborations, from Star Hotel Designers
VF NEWS: Bergdorf Goodman Holiday Windows & UNICEF Snowflake Lighting 2014
Designing a Brand That Even Non-Designers Can Work With
Testing Geo Restrictions
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag
Tute Tuesday: Honkin' Big Beach Ball Snowman

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...