A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 299,182
Currently Running With Scissors:
678 Guests and 21 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2]  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: What's your favorite type of hoop or frame?  (Read 2655 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

akachan
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2009 02:38:22 PM »

I've seen those at Michaels,

Ahhhh....there in lies the problem as the Michaels here has a high degree of suckage.
The only wooden hoops there look like they're made from pre-chewed popsicle sticks and balsa wood.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
beelisty
bitchin' stitcher

* <3 *

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2009 12:37:18 PM »

i haven't had good luck with the q snaps... the canvas moves around in there, and i don't know why.

i would love an old school metal w/ cork... so glorious...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I make my portrait patterns using PC Stitch.

let me listen to me & not to them.--gertrude stein

gallery: http://www.beelisty.com
blog: http://beelisty.wodpress.com
group blog: http://queercraft.wordpress.com
shop: http://epeolatry.etsy.com
HistoricalNeedle
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2009 06:42:49 PM »

I love my table/lap stand.
It wasn't too costly for a handcrafted stand-- I got it from Hearthside Craftworks here in Canada.
I want to order the Floor Stand or MAKE hubby make one just for me. Tongue

I must use a stand because it allows me to stitch with 2 hands.....which doesnt hurt my wrist as much. (it doesnt twist it as much)

url=http://www.craftster.org/pictures/showphoto.php?photo=232416][/url]
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sunnysarah
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2009 08:54:56 PM »

I love reading the different comments to see who likes what. Now it is my turn to put my two cents in. I have been cross stitching for many years and I still haven't fine tuned everything. I like to get fresh perspectives. But for now, these are what I use.

For small projects (like ornaments), I have a 6 inch hoop that is a metal ring that you pinch together to fit inside a plastic outer hoop. I have tried the 8 inch but it wasn't a tight hold like the 6 inch had. I do have an 8inch plastic hoop that has a lip on the inner hoop and a tightening knob on top but I only use the if the 6inch hoop is too small and the hoop circles are in risk of showing.

For medium projects (which is the majority of what I work), I have an assortment of Qsnaps that I can mix and match. I have a set of 8inches, 11 inches (as well as adaptors to make into 14 inches, and a pair of 17 inches. I willing do love them. They don't leave marks like hoops do. There are few things that I would like to mention if you are interested in getting some. The clamps will lose tension over time but is easily fixed. All you have to do is throw them into the dishwasher. Sometimes you might have to put rubber bands around the clamps but it works really well the fix the tension problem. And they get clean on top of that. The other issue is that the corners get will grudging if I am working on a project for a while. There is an accessory that works great to fix that. They are qsnap covers.  Basically elasticated fabric that fits over the qsnap. They also are nice to tuck in excess cross stitch fabric.  They are easily broken down to make transport easy.

For larger projects, I haven't really found "The One" but my lokscroll is the best scroll frame I have found. Using the larger qsnap can be unwielding unless I use a floor stand. I also use the floor stand for the scroll frame as well.

Hopefully this info will help you in your search.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
wherethewild

Stitchalicious.com - funking up embroidery!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2009 04:52:07 AM »

For little on-the-go type projects I use the metal springy ones sunnysarah mentioned. Quick and easy, I find they hold tension excellently and it's no work to undo them again at the end of the session.

For my larger projects and ones that I don't want to take in and out of hoops at every session I use a roll bar frame like mrxstitch. I have a few different sizes, so several projects can be framed at once, and a floor stand (of a slightly different layout than his). What I do slightly differently is treat is a little like a slate frame and 'baste' it to the sides - that way tension is kept horizontally as well as vertically. It's a bit annoying to have to undo that all to roll the bars and move the embroidery up, but for the stumpwork pieces etc I only work on a frame which can show the entire work at once, so that's not too much of a problem.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Stitchalicious - funking up embroidery

Street art and Graffiti cross stitch patterns!
wvudarling
« Reply #15 on: April 01, 2009 02:37:02 PM »

I love my table/lap stand.
It wasn't too costly for a handcrafted stand-- I got it from Hearthside Craftworks here in Canada.
I want to order the Floor Stand or MAKE hubby make one just for me. Tongue

I must use a stand because it allows me to stitch with 2 hands.....which doesnt hurt my wrist as much. (it doesnt twist it as much)

I decided to get one like this instead of a floor frame and started working with it last night.  Do you find that you have any trouble getting your work tight enough?  Mine is definitely a less expensive version from JoAnn's, so that might be it, or maybe I was just too afraid to pull it tight enough.  But it seemed so loose it was almost hard to stitch.  (Sorry, I'm very new to frames.  I am kind of self taught I guess and I just always used the embroidery hoop I had taken from my mom's house.  This is the first time I've worked on a project that needs frames and I'm finding it to be a little harder than I thought.)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
HistoricalNeedle
« Reply #16 on: June 06, 2009 10:50:41 AM »

I have never had any problems with attaching to the roll bars.
I machine sew(long stitches) my adia onto the bars instead of hand sewing it on. I do take my time doing this because yes it can sometimes be too loose-- then I pull it apart and start again because it doesnt take too long to redo it anyways.  Its seems to work perfectly. Also when you are not working on your needlework-- loosen the knobs because that can warp the material- then tighten up again when your stitching again.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

beelisty
bitchin' stitcher

* <3 *

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2009 03:33:47 PM »

Back in the days of our great-grannies they made a metal hoop with a tension spring on the outside ring, and the inside ring had a cork lining that gripped the fabric like a vise! I had my Mom's and Grandma's...they were wonderful!

I had to retire mine last year as they were leaving rust stains and corrosion marks on my fabric.  I'm using the plastic rings and I hate that you have to re-tighten them all the time.  I've used wood but didn't like it.

Thanks for the kudos on the Q-snaps...I've looked at them but hadn't heard from anyone that liked them, as I seem to be the last hand-embroiderer in my county!  Will pick a couple up this week and give 'em a try.

I found some of these at a ben franklin 5 & 10 in grand marais, mn.  i love them.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I make my portrait patterns using PC Stitch.

let me listen to me & not to them.--gertrude stein

gallery: http://www.beelisty.com
blog: http://beelisty.wodpress.com
group blog: http://queercraft.wordpress.com
shop: http://epeolatry.etsy.com
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2]  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
C&C Try: No Makeup
Voguepedia - The Doc With Pat McGrath
The Monday Makeover - Electric Eyes Tutorial
The Monday Makeover - The Festival Girl With Charlotte Tilbury
How to Add Edge to Your Look with Leather and Cat-Eye Makeup
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Hippogriff
Handmade Gift Ideas: Exploding Needle Box
Handmade Gift Ideas: Japanese Shibori Dyeing

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...