A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 300,867
Currently Running With Scissors:
457 Guests and 16 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: beaker from the muppet show, USB key cover (memory stick)  (Read 4475 times)
Tags for this thread: usb , cozy , muppet  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

edelC
Tutorial Contributor

find love everywhere

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: March 01, 2009 10:39:05 AM »

I am a novice at polymer clay, but I managed to crack and partly break of the corner of my memory stick, it has everything on it, so I am in real trouble if I loose it (it is backed up, but there are some somewhat sensitive things on there!)

anyways I hit on the idea of covering it with fimo and since I adore beaker from the muppet show (and the shape is perfect) I've just made him

fimo and feathers for the top, he is naked btw.
beaker in action http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yQj2NP25TIo&feature=PlayList&p=E96071DFDF0D929F&playnext=1&index=9

I am not sure how to photograph him to get the best colour reproduction, but he is the right colour in real life and he isnt cross eyed although this photo makes him look as if he is!

by this pic he had got fed up and didnt want me to take any more. I think he was embarrassed to be seen without his shirt and tie.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2009 11:34:22 AM by edelC » THIS ROCKS   Logged

chattyKathi
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2009 11:07:01 AM »

how clever of you! I love beaker too he's so  funny!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

love laugh create!
pinokeeo

Best of 2013 winner, but this is just as good.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2009 01:12:13 PM »

He is soooo cute! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

DancinJules
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2009 05:05:57 PM »

That is completely adorable!  So adorable that you've been gossiped about!

http://polymerclay.craftgossip.com
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Etsy Shop
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do...Explore. Dream.
Discover." -Mark Twain
Polymer Clay at Craft Gossip!
edelC
Tutorial Contributor

find love everywhere

« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2009 03:01:44 AM »

wow craftgossip..i am really chuffed! thanks
THIS ROCKS   Logged

edelC
Tutorial Contributor

find love everywhere

« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2009 08:16:49 AM »

A couple of people have asked me how I got it onto the memory stick, so I'll post it here. I wrapped the memory stick with cling film (saran wrap) coated it with oil, moulded on beaker and then slid out the stick to bake. (Don't bake the stick!!) I stood him upright to bake, so that the opening for the stick didnt distort,

then hot glued it in place once he was cool enough,

Not that he was ever
 cool, poor lamb
THIS ROCKS   Logged

calluna
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2011 08:05:54 PM »

Teeheehee (or should I say, meemeemeemeemee)! I hadn't spotted this before; I love Beaker and you did a great job with him.  Smiley I hope he's still serving you well!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

100 swaps completed! Thank you, Craftster family!
Diane B.

GlassAttic --polymer clay "encyclopedia"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2011 08:20:38 AM »

Love him!!  Great job on the look (and on the functionality too--great way to make sure he isn't easily lost!).  

I thought at first you'd made the cover as a slip-on but see it doesn't interfere with the business end of the stick.  (Either way, you can use a sheet of thin paper wrapped around the stick with gluestick or tape instead of the plastic wrap, and no oil needed... or there's a product called cyanoacrylate debonder --Kato Polyclay makes a brand called Repel Gel-- that will work well too as a resist...or a bunch of cornstarch, or sometimes a coat of Vaseline works on some surfaces.)

As for the photography, try shooting him with a background color that's medium darkness and preferably somewhat neutral... medium gray, medium blue, e.g.  The camera will probably base its exposure on that color so the light will be medium, and those darker colors will also contrast more with the clay drive.  If you want more dimensionality too, you can also get light to come from 2 different directions onto the item as well.**  
And eyes are tricky!  They're most realistic if they're ever so slightly pointed toward the center of the face so they'll look like they're "focusing" on something, but you don't really need that with a cartoony character.  It can be a good idea though to add the pupils to the eyeballs (absolutely equal in size and shape) before placing the eyeballs on the face so they can be moved around till they're exactly the same positions/angles/etc.

** http://glassattic.com/polymer/photography.htm
« Last Edit: May 19, 2011 08:22:57 AM by Diane B. » THIS ROCKS   Logged

POLYMER CLAY "ENCYCLOPEDIA" 
http://glassattic.com/polymer/contents.htm
few of my photos
http://s96.photobucket.com/albums/l163/DianeBB
(had to move them from YahooPhotos, so many now without captions)
edelC
Tutorial Contributor

find love everywhere

« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2011 03:22:46 PM »

cool thanks Diane

as it turned out, he wasn't that durable, the clay started to tear away from one of the bottom corners so that it wasn't fixed any more. I ended up retiring him from active duty
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Diane B.

GlassAttic --polymer clay "encyclopedia"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2011 10:29:29 AM »

the clay started to tear away from one of the bottom corners so that it wasn't fixed any more.

Aw.  Do you mean that the clay itself broke or chipped at the bottom area, or just that it wasn't completely stuck down to the memory stick near the bottom?...or something else?

If the first situation, just try using one of the stronger and less brittle clays like Kato Polyclay, FimoClassic, Premo, Cernit, or even FimoSoft... SuperSculpey, Sculpey III and even more original Sculpey are brittle after curing in any thin or projecting areas if stressed.  

If the second situation is what happened, try adhering the whole sleeve after baking with a strong glue like 2-part epoxy glue or even E6000 or good white glues like Weldbond, GemTac, etc, or best of all, before or after baking use liquid polymer clay if possible --and probably is possible.  I believe that it was atomicjam who covered one of these before but he baked the clay along with the USB stick, so you might want to read our discussion about that...be right back when I find a link:
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=327417.msg3781185#msg3781185 (from this message forward, we were talking about his stick mostly though he didn't start the original thread)
« Last Edit: May 20, 2011 10:44:38 AM by Diane B. » THIS ROCKS   Logged

POLYMER CLAY "ENCYCLOPEDIA" 
http://glassattic.com/polymer/contents.htm
few of my photos
http://s96.photobucket.com/albums/l163/DianeBB
(had to move them from YahooPhotos, so many now without captions)
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Artist Jodi Harvey-Brown Creates Sculptures Inside Books
Brooklyn Artist Creates Light Bulb Headed Sculptures
An Artist Creates Balancing Sculptures Using Stones
Artist Creates Humanoid Heads from Discarded Dolls
Winter Weather: Amazing Ice Architecture Worldwide
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Hippogriff
Handmade Gift Ideas: Exploding Needle Box
Handmade Gift Ideas: Japanese Shibori Dyeing

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...