A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Curious if a project is for sale, or if someone wants to do a private swap with you?  Please Personal Message the member rather than posting on the thread.
Total Members: 297,063
Currently Running With Scissors:
397 Guests and 11 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Patterns for panties (sizes small, medium and large)  (Read 4201 times)
Tags for this thread: panties , pattern , tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Psycho_Bitch
« on: March 01, 2009 08:33:38 AM »

I made these panties a while ago and I have drawn the pattern for it in the sizes small, medium and large.

(Click the images to see them full size.)

size small
hip   88-96 cm / 35-38''
waist   62-70 cm / 24-28''

size medium
hip   96-104 cm / 38-41''
waist   70-78 cm / 28-31''

size large
hip   104-112 cm / 41-44''
waist   78-86 cm / 31-34''

You need

Half a meter of 140/150 cm wide (bit more than half a yard of 55/60'' wide) stretch fabric should be plenty for all sizes. You could probably even make 2 or have enough left for a matching bra. The fabric doesn't need vertical stretch as well, but your panties will come out a bit lower over the bum if your fabric only stretches horizontally.
Small piece of jersey crotch lining, 20 cm x 20 cm (8'' x 8'') should be enough. Any cotton with a bit of stretch should do.
About 3 meters of lingerie/picot elastic.

Choosing your size and adjustments

If your fabric is very stretchy and my size chart says you're a bit between small and medium you would probably be fine if you make it in small. If you're just between 2 sizes take the larger size and try the panties on before you add the elastic. If it's too big on your hips, you can easily take it in a little on the sides.

Instructions

Download the pattern sheets, print them with the settings at full page.
Tape the pattern sheets together. I'm sorry, but this might be difficult, though it should be doable if you just slide the patterns over each other until they match up.
Trace the pattern pieces. You can choose between low rise and high rise, by tracing the A or B line at the top of the back and front. The crotch piece is a separate piece when you make the panties, so trace it separately. Add seam allowances of 0.75 cm (1/3 inch), I find it easier to do this on your traced pattern with stretch fabrics, because they're difficult to mark.
Cut the front and back piece of your panties on the fold. Make sure that you have the stretch direction of your fabric horizontally.
Cut your crotch piece once out of your fashion fabric and once out of your crotch lining.
Pin your fashion crotch piece wrong sides to the front piece.
Pin the lining with the wrong side to the wrong side of the front piece and sew (you may want to baste this first).
Pin and sew the crotch pieces the same way to the back piece.
This way you won't have exposed seams.
Sew the sides of the front and back pieces right sides together with an imitation serger stitch. If you have a serger, use it for these seams.
Now try for size, because not every stretch fabric has the same amount of stretch.
If the panties fit, you can attach the elastic.
Set your machine to a triple zigzag (or a normal zigzag if your machine doesn't have it).
Put your elastic on the right side of the top (where the waist is) of your panties. Make sure the softest side of your elastic is up and the picots are pointed towards the fabric.
Like on this drawing that shows my mad paint skills Wink

Stitch the elastic on as you stretch it a little.
Fold the elastic to the inside and stitch again.
Finish the leg openings the same way.

If the instructions aren't clear, please let me know. English isn't my first language and I'm not always sure how to explain something.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2013 09:36:22 AM by jungrrl » THIS ROCKS   Logged
digital misfit

crazy doesn't begin to cover it!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2009 08:44:39 AM »

Very cute and practical panties! Thank you for the pattern.  I may have to be brave and give this a try!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Visit my blog to read my rambling, get free hand embroidery patterns, and even enter giveaways from time to time! http://myhidingplaceincyberspace.blogspot.com
LiveLongandCraft
Formerly williarl13

Boldly going where others have probably been.

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2009 08:56:32 AM »

I am definitely going to have to try these. Your instructions are awesome!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Man is born free and everywhere he is in chains" - Jean Jacques Rousseau

"This book doesn't have any answers!" - The Simpsons Movie

http://www.wists.com/LiveLongandCraft
MightyMouse
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2009 09:56:28 AM »

Awesome, thank you so so so much for the tute! I was actually considering buying a pattern for that kind of undies Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Psycho_Bitch
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2009 01:59:56 PM »

Thanks Grin
I'm thinking about drawing out a pattern for different bra sizes as well (with a tutorial to explain how to go from for example 36B to 34C, 32D, etc).
In that case I will try to make the pattern easier to put to together after printing.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Broomstick Lace Crochet
How to Age Brass
How to Age Copper
How to Age Paper
How to Age Wood
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Decoupaged Table Top
August 20, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Faux Cross Stitch Sweatshirt

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...