A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 297,143
Currently Running With Scissors:
425 Guests and 12 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Soap Cigar Band Tutorial  (Read 32487 times)
Tags for this thread: label , packaging , template , tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Nymeria
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Captain of the S.S. Kill Beast Buffet

I do not like the cone of shame.

View Profile available for personal swaps
« on: February 28, 2009 08:36:37 PM »

I'm not sure if this is the right place for this, I apologize to MareMare if it should be moved.   Problem fixed! Cheesy

I typed this up because I know it took me FOREVER (and a day) to figure out how to best do this. These instructions are for MS Word because that is the program that most people have. Ideally these are made in Publisher, but that is an expensive program and while Word takes a few extra steps (not quite as convenient as Publisher), its worth not spending extra cash. Grin

Here is a picture of how my bands look ((this is not the best example, but it's the first I found on my computer...   Tongue):

Step 1: Figuring out placement on your bar.

Take a regular ol piece of 8.5 x 11 printer paper. Cut a 2 strip (I find this is the most manageable and therefore provides the most accurate measurements) and wrap it around your bar of soap. I find if I put the top edge at the "back" of my soap, it folds neatest and that way your overlay is hidden under that piece. Depending on your bar size you will either have a LOT or little overlay. Secure with a piece of tape. With a pencil, mark where you want your writing to appear. On my soap bands I have a section on the back that describes my soap bar, such as This is a bar for men! Next is the section that lists my ingredients, and then the front section that has my name (FanGirl Creates), the name of the soap and my little logo. Mark with a pencil where these should go (where they begin and end!), and then untape the band and lay it flat. With a ruler, measure where each section is on the strip.

Step 2: Setting up your template.

First I will say that if anyone wants the premade template because you either dont know how to change your margins/columns or just plain ol dont feel like, send me a PM and I will totally e-mail you the template. Im nice like that. But for everyone else, here is the skinny:

Go into Page Layout and select Orientation: switch to Landscape

Go into Page Layout and select Margins:
Top Margin: 0
Bottom Margin: 0
Left Margin: .3
Right Margin: .3
(this gives you the whole paper with which to work)

Go into Page Layout and select Columns. Select More Columns and under the customization area, select 5, check the box that says Equal Column Width and under Width & Spacing, set the Spacing to .2 Here is a visual:

At the end your screen should look like this (though you probably won't have Warhammer open... way to go me.):

Step 3: Filling in your template

Check your measurements and start plugging in your information. The top of the template should be the back of your bar (youll see why later). My measurements work out like this:

.25 -- Back of the bar. I always put a cutesy blurb about my soap on this section. It can only be about 1.5 long or it looks cluttered on mine.

2.5 -- My ingredients. I find size 8 Arial or Times New Roman font works best here. You want them to be legible!
4.5 -- My name & the soap name. This leaves me enough room to hand stamp my little girl design on it when Im done. But if you want to play with clipart or a digital image, this is the place!

Step 4: Theres one soap band how do I get the rest?

This is where Publisher is more convenient. In Publisher it automatically moves the information down the columns. In Word, you copy and paste! This takes a little getting used to as Words column feature works in a wrap-around style.

Once you have one band, select and copy the material. Go to the next column and paste:

Well thats not right! You may have to play with spacing and what not to get them to line up.

Much better! KEEP IN MIND: If you go back and edit the first or second band and decide to delete one or two lines or change the font, it will make the rest wonky and youll have to go back and play with spacing.

Step 5: Get down with your bad, professional lookin self.

I print mine out on regular card stock that goes into my bottom-of-the-line HP printer. I recommend cutting them with some type of paper cutter (a $10 Fiskars one serves me well), but if you have a good eye, feel free to rock with the scissors.

Enjoy! If anyone has ANY questions, please dont hesitate to ask me. I think Ive covered everything but if I missed anything let me know! Smiley

ETA: I should say this will take a LOT of fiddling around with to find the exact dimensions. It took me a very, very long time to work up the margins and columns, let alone where everything needs to be! Smiley
« Last Edit: February 28, 2009 10:14:54 PM by Nymeria » THIS ROCKS   Logged

For all things Black Library and WH 40k, check out my Examiner page!

Nerd girls of the world, unite!
chelseigh
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2009 08:47:44 PM »

Thanks Nymeria! I have a craft show coming up in April and was wondering exactly how I was going to package my soap! This is going to make things quite a bit easier!!!  Grin Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

smittenheart

Let go of what's already gone..

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2009 09:29:46 PM »

girl..you are my hero,really..

I will work on it tomorrow since I'll have my computer back..stinky husband has been snagging it(thank goodness I am getting a new one in a few weeks..yippee)

anywho..thanks again..I love the little logo..is she a stamp??
THIS ROCKS   Logged

its ME!!
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=327537.0

http://cowandpigdesigns.etsy.com
http://cowandpigdesigns.blogspot.com
Soap licking is dangerous..please dont try it at home

will trade some soap for a superhero cape which will be used by the kid in my avatar ^^
Nymeria

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2009 09:32:29 PM »

girl..you are my hero,really..

I think I'm a girl who obsesses over the minutia too much...  Wink

anywho..thanks again..I love the little logo..is she a stamp??

She is a stamp from a gal named Craft Pudding on Etsy. She does the most adorable work and her custom rates are reasonable. Smiley

Thanks Nymeria! I have a craft show coming up in April and was wondering exactly how I was going to package my soap! This is going to make things quite a bit easier!!!  Grin Grin

np, hope it helps! It's my favorite packaging because it lets you see/smell the bar but also helps protect it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

lavale
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2009 03:48:25 AM »

Hi Nymeria!
They are great!
I just have a silly question: do you have a picture of the back of the packed soap bars? how do you close the wrapping? glue? tape?

Thanks so much for sharing.

Ciao
Vale
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Nymeria

« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2009 06:26:02 AM »

Not a silly question! Here are two more pictures:

This is how the soap band wraps around. I wrapped this one kind of sloppy so that you can see how the ingredients and back blurb look on the bar, but also so you can see how much overlay I have (the little corner sticking out at the base of the back information):

And here is how it looks closed:

The two best things for sealing these bands are clear gift wrap tape (Scotch makes it) or the absolute BEST product is Duck brand Easy Stick Double Adhesive rollers (http://duckproducts.com/products/detail.asp?catid=4&subid=20&plid=94). It's permanent and has a VERY strong grip. You can pick it up at WalMart in either the scrapbooking or mailing/shipping section (it depends on theWalMart, I've noticed). It's kind of expensive -- when you consider it's just adhesive -- but it lasts a long while and it's awesome. Smiley
« Last Edit: March 01, 2009 06:37:46 AM by Nymeria » THIS ROCKS   Logged

lavale
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2009 06:36:36 AM »

Hi Nymeria!
Thanks for your answer.
The writing on the back makes the soaps looking "more special", so different from the stuff you can buy in shops, a very "unique" soap, with its own story!

The two best things for sealing these bands are clear gift wrap tape (Scotch makes it) or the absolute BEST product is Duck brand Easy Stick Double Adhesive rollers (http://duckproducts.com/products/detail.asp?catid=4&subid=20&plid=94). It's permanent and has a VERY strong grip. You can pick it up at WalMart in either the scrapbooking or mailing/shipping section (it depends on theWalMart, I've noticed). It's kind of expensive -- when you consider it's just adhesive -- but it lasts a long while and it's awesome. Smiley

I'm Italian (and live in Italy), so I don't have any idea about Duck rollers. Unfortunately from the page I cannot see how it looks like, maybe I could find something similar in Italian shops. But I have the clear scotch tape at home, I think I will start with it.

Thanks so much again!

Vale
THIS ROCKS   Logged
pink zebra
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2009 10:44:06 AM »

do you have "tesa" brand in italy? or tixo, or uhu? those are the most common brands in austria.
you will find adhesive rollers in the office section, or a paper store. do you know those correction rollers, that leave a white film on a piece of paper (over something you wanted to white out), and then you can overwrite it? if you know those, the adhesive rollers work the same way, but they leave a sticky film. highly recommendable for that said puropse really!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mcook72677
I fink you freeky

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2009 07:17:38 AM »

These bands are so cute. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Handmade and vintage goodness!
www.gibsgoods.etsy.com
Nymeria

« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2009 06:12:26 PM »

I've sent this out quite a few times and totally don't mind! (I've gotten a few shy PMs, lol  Cheesy)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Prepare Vegetarian Sushi
2012 Vendy Awards Finalist: Xin Jiang Prosperity Kebabs
How to Cook Homemade Udon Noodle Soup
How to Cook Homemade Yaki Udon
How to Prepare Udon Noodle Dishes
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!
Spotlight on: Woodburning

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...