A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Curious if a project is for sale, or if someone wants to do a private swap with you?  Please Personal Message the member rather than posting on the thread.
Total Members: 296,685
Currently Running With Scissors:
588 Guests and 30 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Sophie Hatter  (Read 1927 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

funfunfun
« on: February 28, 2009 08:10:05 PM »

Oh geez, hi guys.
I am planning on making Sophie Hatter's costume for an upcoming anime convention, and I am left quite befuddled about how to go about making the top of the dang thing.

(Here's a convenient image of both the front and back: http://www.absoluteanime.com/howls_moving_castle/sophie.jpg )

I bought a pattern I found at a thrift store with the hopes of being able to modify it to work, but that strange gathering she has in the front is confusing me.

Does anyone know how to do that kind of thing? I would be forever indebted to you and would be profoundly thankful!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Ludi
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

May the Ghost Squid be with you

Team Wordy!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2009 07:59:59 AM »

From the picture, I think that is a yoke at the top of the dress, with the rest of the bodice gathered into it.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Aislynn
Miscellaneous Topics Moderator
Sewing in General Moderator

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2009 07:28:20 AM »

Her dress always reminds me of the blue gingham one Marilla makes for Anne in the Anne of Green Gables movie with Megan Follows.  I agree, it looks like a yoke front.  I'd look for a costume pattern similar to this one:  http://www.mccallpattern.com/item/M9423.htm?tab=costumes&page=6 (maybe not that one exactly, as you'd have to alter the back a bit), to use as a basis for your dress.  You may be able to Frankenstein the pattern you've got, together with another one to get the right look.  Good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sewers are for ninja turtles--seamstresses are for sewing Wink

My wist!  http://www.wists.com/aislynn
mystico_tala
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2009 07:01:02 AM »

Again, definitely a yoke front.  Prairie dresses were popular in the 70's, so you might be able to find a vintage pattern to help you out on ebay or something.  Yokes were also very popular in the 40's, to help you get started.
If you get one of those costume patterns to work with you can probably just make the bodice a little bigger, trace out a scoop neck, add seam allowance, gather the front a bit, and sew it back in.  (Here is a really simple for a yoke style shirt to give you an idea of what it is about).
And the gathering at the waist is another seam.  Or you could sew in some elastic or something for the same effect, depending on the patter you have.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Visit my Blog
SpottedFrog
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2009 12:03:42 PM »

I own these patterns:

while not for sale, I'm sure we could figure something out if you think one or the other might help Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Flourless Chocolate Pudding Cake Recipe
Homemade Mint Vanilla Ice Cream Recipe
How to Make Crave-Worthy Cake in a Mere Matter of Minutes
Will Veggie Desserts Be the Cronut of 2014?
Make It Easy: Snow Day Recipes Kids Can Make
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Teacup Bird Feeder
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth
July 23, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...