A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 300,856
Currently Running With Scissors:
786 Guests and 33 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: My new craft room, finally organised, Its taken days and days and days  (Read 10125 times)
Tags for this thread: craft_room  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

edelC
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

find love everywhere

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: February 28, 2009 04:28:47 PM »

I have been having some remodelling done in my home, up until this point, I had an attic room for my craft space, a nice big room, but with sloping ceilings down to table height, i couldnt put up proper shelving. But then the remodelling, I got a new bedroom, my daugher got mine and I got hers for my new craft room. I had the builders build me a long bench, a slightly lower one for my sewing machine and a ton of shelving

then I became obsessed with fabric folding, from an article on craftzine, I made cardboard templates to fit the different size shelves and I am a complete convert. Mind you this much fabric took about 15 hours to fold, But I think I reduced the space it took up, by 50%

This is the high bench, I have lots of little drawers for all my beading/stamping/paperarts/painting stuff/ under the desk are two IKEA storage units for paper. I wired in and put the lighting onto the shelves, craft bulbs and now I'm not working in shadow, its a pleasure to work with everything to hand and in good light. I've put up various hooks and clips to hold things that I am working on, and all my tapes strung onto a dowel,

This lower bench and the shelves nearby (not completely done yet...but there is more stuff to come from the other room) holds my sewing machine and serger, by the window for natural light (curtains closed it nighttime), and a bookcase for craft books. Underneath are boxes for scraps etc.

This corner is my favourite...my fabric stash...there is an obscene amount of fabric here (but it is so neat, it doesnt look it, mind you there is about another 50 yards of fabric to get added to these shelves) but I can see everything and colour matching is a joy now, I also have ribbons/braid etc, wound onto cardboard cores and strung on dowels in the corner.

another gratituous fabric shot!

I love it!!

« Last Edit: February 28, 2009 04:40:36 PM by edelC » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Slingmomma
Crafty Esthetician!

Accessory hoarder.... scarves beware!

« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2009 04:38:14 PM »

Holy cow! I am insanely jealous of not only your craft space but the humongous amount of fabric you have! That is a fantastic space you now have! Happy crafting in it!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

A Spinners Magic Yarn ball! Join us!
Fat Quarter swap-almost done craft for sloth003 Cheesy
IYP 17-deadbathducky waiting still to receive!
Sew/Yarn v's Paper-got my partners!
wendyloo
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2009 04:53:34 PM »

You know what's sad? I'm in the middle of carving out/organizing my own craft space, yet I'm sitting here envying your new craft space! Talk about procrastination. You have inspired me to turn off my computer and get to work!
I envy your craft room.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Glowormglo
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2009 04:54:25 PM »

This looks wonderful! I desperately need to do this to my room. It is very tiny, about 10' x 10, with one window. I had a 6' cabinet made years ago , but it dosen't hold nearly enough. I have fabric stored in plastic tubs in front of the doors so I have to pull everything away if I want to get in the cabinet. I would love to have shelves like yours.
Can I ask how you folded your fabric? It looks so neat and orderly and you can see what you do have.

Thanks in Advance,
Glowormglo
THIS ROCKS   Logged
evilSabina
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2009 05:06:39 PM »

That looks fantastic! I'm about to do an addition which will house my fabric (amongst other things) and this is very inspiring.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
edelC
Tutorial Contributor

find love everywhere

« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2009 05:06:56 PM »

I made some cardboard templates to the size of the space I wanted it to take up on the shelves. I used the long bench to lay out the fabric, You have to kinda judge this as you go, some fabrics work better folded longways, some better widthways. Put the template down and depending on how wide the fabric, wrap all the ends in, until you have one long strip the width of of the template, (I made sure to have all of the raw edges on the insides.

Then just fold the template over and over (remember to make sure you can get it out again, i cant tell you how many times I folded it in completely!) when you are a little over one fold of the fabric to having it all to the right size, fold in the bottom end so that from every side there are no loose edges, only folds, then stack.

I also learned that the spaces between the stacks actually enhance the impression of it being very neat.

You could use many pieces of cardboard and leave them inside each piece, but I didnt and dont think its necessary

The only problem is that if you have a slippy fabric in the middle of the stack you have to be careful removing others around it, it will topple everything.

this room is no more than 10' by 11' btw (I just paced it off) its the shelves everywhere and the hours and hours of folding that give me so much room. I actually have I reckon over 300 yards of fabric, some of the bigger pieces are on a top shelf and there is still room for more, (just as well as there is about 50 or so more to go)

this has only one window too, and one central light fitting, terrible for sewing, so I wired up the light fittings that I then screwed to the shelves. Again, its an easy job and totally worth it.

I had everything in plastic tubs too, its a pain, you cant match colours and it really does take up a lot more space. The tall fabric shelves are just cheap self-assembly pine shelving from the hardware store. The smaller wall mounted ones are reused from the kitchen (I made them myself..its not difficult) The benches and rest of the shelves were all by the builder. Having all of them built in has saved me a huge amount of space
THIS ROCKS   Logged

edelC
Tutorial Contributor

find love everywhere

« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2009 05:08:47 PM »

I am a total convert to fabric folding, let me know if the details above are clear enough, if not I will take some pix.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Belladune
Fiber Arts Moderator
Tutorial Contributor

crazy crafty momma

"this kid is driving me craaaazy!"-Robert Munchs

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2009 07:42:51 PM »

I jealous of your fabric stash.  and your amazingly well organised new craft room.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Jinjeet Phoenix

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2009 12:35:54 AM »

I love what you've done to create your own craft room.  I love the little organizational ideas like putting the ribbons and such on cardboard rolls.  I've also found that to be a huge space saver but I love the way you've hung them up.  I also fold my fabric to your style.  By shelf size and cardboard template.  Super efficient.  I just love the way you arranged everything in it's place.  Great ideas!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
SugrMagMama
Owner, LovinBundles

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2009 01:47:46 PM »

Looks great! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Loudmouth by Craig Carton
The Roberts Court by Marcia Coyle
Author Patricia Beard Discusses a Certain Summer
The Great Lollipop Caper
Red Sparrow Author Jason Matthews Talks About M.I.C.E.
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight On: Stamping
Mr X Stitch Presents: The Cutting (& Stitching) Edge - Jose Romussi
Tute Tuesday: Imprinting on Concrete

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...