A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 297,505
Currently Running With Scissors:
362 Guests and 9 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: plarn market bag of goodness...  (Read 712 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

loulabear
« on: February 28, 2009 03:04:05 PM »

Hi!  I am constantly getting comments from my relatives about how they see reusable shopping bags for sale, and how I could make them so easily...so for x-mas this year it's plarn bags all around!  Here is the first one -- the first time I've worked with plarn.  It was so much fun!  I sort of made up the pattern as I went... it's not perfect, but it definitely works!

Comments and Questions welcome...thank you for looking!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
msd1984
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2009 03:35:17 PM »

Very cool!  How long did it take you to make it?  How many bags did it take? I tried the fused bags...wasn't too impressed with the process or the result.  Guess it wasn't my bag Wink... Sorry.

Does it stretch?  I can see a family with children having bags everywhere, but we just don't seem to accumulate them quick enough.  Also, when I staked claim to the the bags, everyone was sort of stuck as to what to use instead.  What DID we do B-4? 

Great idea for Christmas.  Don't know if I'm quick enough though.  Guess I could make kits.  Hummm, that might work! 

Thanks for sharing

Mary <><
THIS ROCKS   Logged
snapeswife
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2009 03:50:56 PM »

Is the body of the bag just a number of chains and then sc into the previous space? I love it! I have a TON of plarn, but have yet to do anything with it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

loulabear
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2009 03:22:07 PM »

thanks for the positive feedback...

now to answer your questions:

msd1984:  I only worked at it on breaks at work, but it took like 2.5 to 3 weeks of working just a few hours for like 3 days a week -- so like 21 to 24 hours of crocheting time -- not too bad!  It took approximately 30 bags.  The bag itself is fairly stretchy, but still strong -- I was surprised!  I have started taking bag donations, but I've used up probably a third of the bags we've been saving for a few years.  We're major packrats in our apt...  I believe in you, you should give it a try!  The netting part of the bag was really quick to do!

snapeswife:  The body part of the bag is six chainstitch and then sc into every 4th stitch on the first row.  For the remaining rows I did 6cs and then just sc into a stitch that looked like the center of the previous chain.  If you look up crochet netting on youtube.com there are a ton of tutorials that will pop up. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mrsflibble

will work for yarn

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2009 02:37:27 AM »

love the bag, love the plarn, love it love it love it.

i am very much an ecohippy over here; and they're trying to make my home town a plastic free zone so this idea will come in sooo handy. thankyou!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
susieoregon
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2009 10:00:32 AM »

I've been thinking about making grocery sacks just like this, but never seem to get around to it.  Yours look great and have inspired me to try.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
juniorpink
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2009 10:14:42 AM »

Love the idea
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
KD101: Macaroni and Cheese with Broccoli
Family-Owned Soul Food Restaurant Visited by Celebs & Politicians
Richard Blais’ 10-Minute Chicken Dinner
Sautéed Collard Greens Recipe
How to Make a Beautiful Bouquet of Chocolate Bacon Roses
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...