A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can now organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 298,645
Currently Running With Scissors:
697 Guests and 19 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Fabric Calendar  (Read 7631 times)
Tags for this thread: calendar , tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

oneyedsally

Fabric is taking over my house!

View Profile available for personal swaps
« on: February 28, 2009 10:48:55 AM »

First off I must say that this was not my idea! I pretty much blatantly copied iheartlinen's calendar here. I think mine is bigger, I was trying to match it to the size of my fabric mail holder. Now they are next to each other on the wall in the kitchen!

I love green and brown together, and I use this fabric combination so often that I had a ton of scraps available for the patchwork and buttons. The back is linen (clearly iheartlinen has a huge influence on me  Smiley) and the back is just unbleached muslin. I put a little pocket on the back for extra buttons, so I hope it doesn't stick out from the wall too much when I use it.

I used iron on transfer for the days of the week, but I'm out of paper so I didn't get to do the months yet. Originally I tried stamping on the ribbon but it bled like crazy. Oops I haven't brushed away my chalk lines yet!

Here's a closer view of the patchwork! Not my strong suit really, and neither is binding, but practice makes perfect!

This project took a really long time. In some part because it took awhile to select fabrics, cut, piece, attach, buy more velcro dots because I ran out, make buttons, blah blah. I'm so happy now that it's done though!

Comments and criticism very much appreciated!  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

If you like handmade bags and purses, check out my etsy!

http://londonpurple.etsy.com

My blog http://londonpurple.blogspot.com
cejaypi
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2009 10:56:36 AM »

that's adorable!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Sandra22

Smile, Smile, Smile :)

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2009 10:59:31 AM »

Hi,  This is great.  It looks very well made, really neat.   I love the fabrics, and the green and brown together are great.

I'd like to make one, but I don't understand how it works!  Could you please explain.  Also how are the buttons attached.

Cheers
Sandra
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://wists.com/Sandra22
http://www.flickr.com/photos/sandra-malone                                                          CURRENT SWAPS -                September Birthday (non birthday swapper).  Magic Yarn Ball.  Disposable Camera.
sheena.lee
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2009 11:03:45 AM »

I love this!!  Seems to fun to make!  Awesome job Smiley

If only I had place for such a thing...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Munora
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2009 11:19:21 AM »

I love it. What a great idea.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

It's not what you know, but what you do with what you know that is important.
snazzlecraft

I jumped on the mustache train! CHOO CHOO!!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2009 11:49:11 AM »

Ugh I am so gonna make on of these.  I have to say I like your fabric selection better.  Also, I have that mail holder on my wist LOL!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

meleriffic
Global Moderator
Clothing Moderator
Toys, Dolls, & Playthings Moderator

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2009 11:58:48 AM »

I love the color combinations. It looks great.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Craftster has gone mobile!  Read the big news here!
jack_kant
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2009 03:11:35 PM »

This is a really cool idea, though I think that if I made myself one, I'd use magnets rather than velcro to fasten the buttons on.  That way, if I want to put a little meeting note or whatever on the calender, I could. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
oneyedsally

Fabric is taking over my house!

« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2009 03:33:17 PM »

Thanks everyone! Even my boyfriend is impressed and he's so not into crafty things.

snazzlecraft - I'm glad you like both my projects! I love the color combo and it matches perfectly in our house, well until we redecorate anyways!  Grin

jack_kant - That is a good idea, although I think it would get very expensive! I just did the Velcro because that's what iheartlinen used, and I couldn't think of another way. Plus Velcro dots happened to be half off the day I went to get supplies!

Sandra22 - Here is a mini tutorial! I suggest you read the whole thing before starting just to make sure you have all the supplies.

Basically I cut 2 pieces of fabric (one linen for the front, one muslin for the back) the size I wanted the calendar to be, in this case 20" tall by 15" wide. I also cut interfacing the same size, one Pellon 987F and one Pellon 70. Then I did a bunch of complicated math! Here are some of my measurements including seam allowance (always 1/2"). The blue lines are stitch lines to divide the days. Those are 2" wide by 2.2" high, and the section for the days of the week at the top is 1" high.

For the patchwork section I only gave the height, this way you can create your own design. The width just has to add up to 15" after everything is pieced together. You can scale everything up or down depending on what size you want.

If you are using fusible interfacing, attach that to the front piece first. All of your stitching should be done with the sew-in interfacing pinned in place. This will anchor it in the center as well so it will always stay in place!

1. To construct, start with the patchwork. Once your pieces are complete, for the top one sew the brown/polka dot strip for the month on the bottom. Press under your seam allowance on the side that will not be covered by the bias binding.
2. Line up the patchwork sections with the edges of the main piece, lightly mark the bottom (seam allowance folded under) with dressmaker's chalk. Now flip the piece wrongside up and line up the fold with the line you drew and stitch on the crease. This way you will get a clean edge with no stitch marks when you fold it over. Baste the edges to keep the patchwork in place.
3. Measure off your squares for the days and mark the lines with dressmaker's chalk. Stitch with pretty contrasting thread to make the squares. Do not stitch over the patchwork, you might need to adjust the size of your squares to accomodate if the patchwork has drifted between marking and actually stitching.
4. Sew on your velcro in the middle of the squares. I bought velcro dots that have sticky backs, but I didn't trust them so I zigzagged over it. Also attach velcro in the middle of the strip for the month. I used the rough side on the calender and the soft side on the buttons.
5. Make your buttons. You will need at least 31 fabric coverable buttons, more if you want to be able to cover up the velcro on the "off" days. I've also seen suggestions to make special buttons for birthdays, holidays, etc! Follow the directions on the packaging to make the buttons, except you will need to rip off the shank with needlenose pliers before making the button. I found it best to do this wearing work gloves because my fingers started to hurt really bad. Once your button is made, you can glue the velcro dot onto the back. Write the dates on any way you like, I stamped like iheartlinen but the brown ink isn't dark enough. I haven't decided how to fix it yet.
6. Attach the days of the week. I printed them onto iron on transfer paper, then transferred it onto ribbon and stitched the ribbon on with the raw edges folded under. You can do it anyway you like!
7. Finally you can put it all together! Line up the backing and pin into place, then attach your binding. You will need about 65 inches. I made mine out of fabric to match my mail holder but you can use storebought as well. I'm not very good at this step so I will not be giving advice... Also put a grommet in the center at the top to hang it!

Let me know if you have any questions!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

If you like handmade bags and purses, check out my etsy!

http://londonpurple.etsy.com

My blog http://londonpurple.blogspot.com
Sandra22

Smile, Smile, Smile :)

« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2009 10:52:53 AM »

Hi & thanks so much,  I will have a go at this.  I am really forgetful, so this will be a great calendar I can match to my kitchen or wherever I decide to put it.

Thanks again
Sandra
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://wists.com/Sandra22
http://www.flickr.com/photos/sandra-malone                                                          CURRENT SWAPS -                September Birthday (non birthday swapper).  Magic Yarn Ball.  Disposable Camera.
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Crystal Chan: What Are You Reading?
The Frackers: Wildcatters Who Made It Big
John Tayman: How Byliner Pays Its Writers
Victoria Wilson on Legendary Actress Barbara Stanwyck
An Extended Look at a Great Game: Hockey
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Painted Countertops
Tute Tuesday: Paper Lantern/Ball Ornament
Falling for Autumn Crafts

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...