A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can get cheap (and legal! Wink) advertising by donating a challenge prize! Go here for more info.
Total Members: 298,763
Currently Running With Scissors:
523 Guests and 13 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: It's how we roll.... IMG OVERLOADED.  (Read 5696 times)
Tags for this thread: graffiti , maneki_neko , cat  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

kiyaani_girl
« Reply #20 on: February 28, 2009 05:39:26 PM »

i triple love your work.
it's gorgeous.
-- funny story - my fourth-grade son loves art and spends a lot of time looking at art books and going to museums and galleries. and his art teacher explained that in the middle ages, nudity in art represented truth and our divine nature. so now when he sees a naked lady in a painting, he'll say - there's some lady showing her truth. i get such a kick out of it every time he says it!

That is cool!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Pi314

<3 Arts & Aerosol

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: February 28, 2009 06:01:07 PM »

Your pieces are awesome, the lucky cat is definitely my favorite.

You have a great eye...you should consider a career in graphic design. You're a natural.

heh, awww thanks.
i actually am a graphic designer.
went to school for it and everything.

i guess that's good if it shows!
 Kiss
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"If it ain't sweet then I won't eat it,
if it ain't green then I don't need it.
I've been smoking so much trees
my people think that I'm a vegan."
Le Mieux
« Reply #22 on: March 01, 2009 02:02:00 AM »

again, i love the colours you use...and your art is amazing! my fave is def the luck kitteh....another request to come to my hometown (london, england) and colour it up please  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

People should not be afraid of their governments; governments should be afraid of their people

http://www.wists.com/harbles
http://miss-chlo.blogspot.com

UK Swap - sent!
skuldintape

Cats and chemistry

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 01, 2009 03:43:53 AM »

Love it all - especially the lucky cat.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
I Sew Cute
Jewelry and Trinkets Moderator
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I'm a Fanatic Friend of Craftster!

Take me to the kittens!!! >^.^<

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #24 on: March 01, 2009 06:19:03 AM »

-- funny story - my fourth-grade son loves art and spends a lot of time looking at art books and going to museums and galleries. and his art teacher explained that in the middle ages, nudity in art represented truth and our divine nature. so now when he sees a naked lady in a painting, he'll say - there's some lady showing her truth. i get such a kick out of it every time he says it!

Aren't kids amazing? You should send that little story in to parents magazine or something!

Back on topic: I love your artistic style... your girlies are cute...
 Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out Trinkets & Jewelry! Wink
pinterest
blog
twitter
etsy
HSG
Global Moderator
Glass Crafts Moderator
Guest Blogger

Tutorial Contributor

Oy Vey!

Margaritas & Facial Masks

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: March 01, 2009 07:20:05 AM »

I can really appreciate the talent you have, and encourage you to continue your path towards becoming an artist.

However, I do have one caveat to this, and I'm sure this will not be the popular post. Please, take it in the spirit it is given.

What you're doing is not only illegal, but costing taxpayers money. So I therefore cannot condone your choice of canvas.

There are so many other constructive ways you and your friends could create and display your art that would benefit both you, and the public who would like to see them.

Join with local artists groups, galleries and the like to do this in a legal, permanent setting. What you have admitted here is a felony, and has cost some cities in the MILLIONS of dollars to remove.

Personally I would like those dollars to go to something more constructive, and useful. Like education, road repair, teacher salaries, child welfare programs, etc.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

IamSusie
« Reply #26 on: March 01, 2009 07:29:49 AM »

I can really appreciate the talent you have, and encourage you to continue your path towards becoming an artist.

However, I do have one caveat to this, and I'm sure this will not be the popular post. Please, take it in the spirit it is given.

What you're doing is not only illegal, but costing taxpayers money. So I therefore cannot condone your choice of canvas.

There are so many other constructive ways you and your friends could create and display your art that would benefit both you, and the public who would like to see them.

Join with local artists groups, galleries and the like to do this in a legal, permanent setting. What you have admitted here is a felony, and has cost some cities in the MILLIONS of dollars to remove.

Personally I would like those dollars to go to something more constructive, and useful. Like education, road repair, teacher salaries, child welfare programs, etc.

You have such talent! I'm with HSG though.  This is a tremendous burden to municipalities.  Graffiti, contributes to the sense of creeping blight, hopelessness, and lawlessness in a community.  Money spent on graffitti removal could even go to supporting arts in the community and in the schools.

Keep working on your talent!  I'm rooting for your success as a graphic designer.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Pi314

<3 Arts & Aerosol

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: March 01, 2009 08:55:53 AM »

Despite being illegal, there's a kind of unwritten code that most writers follow.

No writing on school/churches/personal property.
No writing racist or hateful things.
No beefing (destroying) others work.
Putting up good stuff!

I know its illegal, but honestly, the cities spend MILLIONS trying to fight each and every cause they have.
I'm not saying that I'm right, I guess I just don't worry much about taxpayers dollars cleaning up my graff.
Reason being, my tax dollars go to help unwed teen mothers, junkies, criminals in jail, pollution caused by cars I dont drive/utilize, etc, etc, and a whole bunch of other stuff i never really reap the rewards of.

I don't get pissed off when my stuff gets buffed/beefed, its a risk you run when painting.

Another reason I don't worry much, is because like here on the board, the feedback is pretty positive.
Graff is something that runs in me. It's started out as a silly new obsession and 5 years later I know it's not going to go away whether I get booked or not.
I don't go out to try and piss people off, I go out because there's something pretty awesome about a full backpack full of paint, walking around on a nice day, then finding a chill spot and setting up to do a piece.

The other upside is that the graff community is huge and pretty tightknit.
People post flicks of graff they see, and sometimes you can see your work crop up on the net, which means that other people are seeing it and enjoying it as well.

A lot of people date their work, as well as roll with crews that change up over time.
You can tell a lot of graff history on certain walls, going back years and years.

And you can have a whole crew of friends that you only refer to as their writer name.
There's so much culture in the graff community, I can't help but get into it.
 Smiley

Sooo basically, I just try to keep what I put up good, something that not only I like, but that others will see as a neat artistic addition to the community, not a stupid "homos are gay" or "my penis for prez" or whatever else is around.

I understand the concern, but I gotta be honest, you won't change my mind.
(and i mean that in the nicest way possible)
 Wink

PS. I've done a few legal graff jams as well, and a lot of them will only accept writers on their past portfolio of graff. Almost all writers who have gone on to carve a successful career have started off illegally.
I mean, think of the Obama campaign.
Kind of crazy that a person started out doing something completely illegal, costing cities wayyyy more than I ever have, goes on to do the art campaign for the new president...

THIS ROCKS   Logged

"If it ain't sweet then I won't eat it,
if it ain't green then I don't need it.
I've been smoking so much trees
my people think that I'm a vegan."
Phizzychick
Paper Crafts, Scrapbooking, and ATCs Moderator
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: March 01, 2009 09:11:23 AM »

Your work looks great!

I loved the graffiti project I taught in my art lessons and it was always the kids favourite. Very thought provoking project for them too that crossed lots of subjects. It's a shame it was only a paper based project. Some of the kids could have produced some fantastic work on the school building! Cheesy

There are lots of towers and industrial buildings here (Sevilla, Spain) which artists have been asked to graffiti and they're amazing! A huge stretch of wall by the river has some beautiful work too and it's great that it's left there untouched. It's far better than the concrete walls!

In the UK I know there have been a few instances where Banksy's work has increased the value of property Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

bloodybella
I craft out of neccesity

Well...here I go!!

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 01, 2009 09:36:25 AM »

I think its beautiful, and I'd rather look at this then "legal" advertisements and billboards containing capitalistic trash and vanity. This is Art. The normal, "acceptable" scenery in most Citys feels like trash to me. Cold, impersonal, and does not contribute anything to the City. They instead promote things like greed (gambling), liquor, and materialism.
This however, has a certain heart to it. Every Artist I have ever known does this because they love it. Not because it's illegal.
Your work is beautiful, and I believe it truly enhances the city you live in.
If the City chooses to sterilize it self and spend money covering up the only real art it has, then so be it. They're just creating a new canvas for someone else.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Ashes, ashes, we all fall down.
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Crochet a Woolen Willy Warmer Part 3/21
How to Crochet a Woolen Willy Warmer Part 19/21
How to Crochet a Woolen Willy Warmer Part 16/21
How to Crochet a Woolen Willy Warmer Part 4/21
How to Crochet a Woolen Willy Warmer Part 21/21
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Dark Chocolate Bacon Pecan Pie
Amazing Altered Puzzles
Meatless Monday: Cottage Cheese Mousse

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...