A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 296,740
Currently Running With Scissors:
594 Guests and 23 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Fabulous Corsages for Revenge of the Prom  (Read 1904 times)
Tags for this thread: corsage  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

chimes
the chimenator

the chimenator

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: February 27, 2009 07:19:58 PM »

This could go here or in occasions and holidays... sorry if this is the wrong place!

So I'm going to an event tomorrow called Revenge of the Prom with one of my girlfriends tomorrow night. We have totally awesome dresses from our rad 80's new years party and thought we could get a 2nd use out of them and get another chance to wear some big hair and side ponytails.  Smiley

I ventured to Hobby Lobby and got a bunch of supplies (flower stems happened to be on sale for 50% off!)....roses, beads, black tulle with glitter, elastic, hot glue gun, floral shears and some floral tape. 

Here's what I ended up with after a half hour of tinkering:

I figured out where I wanted the roses to set and I taped them with floral tape (which, by the way, is kind of rough to use if you've never used it before--it sticks to itself, but don't pull too hard or it's going to break!).  Then I cut the bottoms off with the shears and wrapped the wire parts with floral tape so they wouldn't poke me. I bent the stem I created by taping in half and moved the flowers around a bit to figure out how they would look on my wrist.  Then I glued some leaves in (there weren't any leaves that close to the flower, so I pulled them off and placed them).  I took some of the black tulle and kind of balled it up and glued that to the bottom of the whole thing.  Then I took a strip of elastic (that I measured around my wrist), sewed it together so it was secure, and sewed it to the bottom of the corsage-in-the-works.  THEN I glued it down to make sure it would stay. 

Exciting.  Not exactly rocket science, but it was fun to pick up something I don't normally do. I'm usually on the knitting board or lurking on the cooking board.

Also, I plan to post some action shots of the corsages at the event after it happens. I'm EXCITED!

EDIT: Here are some photos from the event!  (I'll add more if better ones arrive)

Here's our group. They had professional photographers there to document the event.. pretty awesome.

This is our date photo.  Notice the awesome corsages.

Us with a couple of guys my date works with. 

and we apparently kept hiding the awesome corsages all night.. oh well. everybody looked awesome!

Also, the earrings I was wearing were bought from fellow craftster UntamedMenagerie (here's the original post for the earrings). I can't find one of the earrings so I'm really upset about that. I'll have to see if she has any more of that style for sale because I love love loved those to death.

Anyway, there may be more photos to come. I'll try to limit it to just a few for the sake of those still on DSL or dialup. Wink

----------------
Now playing: 3 Inches of Blood - Crazy Nights
via FoxyTunes
« Last Edit: March 01, 2009 06:53:45 PM by chimes - Reason: The event happened and there were some pretty fantastic pix to add! » THIS ROCKS   Logged

vitaboheme

Future Picasso

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2009 07:24:58 PM »

Wow- it's huge! And perfect for that special Molly Ringwald moment (always think of her when I think of 80s anything). It will look fabulous with your dress.

have fun tomorrow!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The purpose of art is washing the dust of daily life off our souls.
-Pablo Picasso
chimes
the chimenator

the chimenator

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2009 07:29:33 PM »

Will do! 

it is MASSIVE.  I guess I forgot to mention that I did that on purpose... to go with my HAIR. Smiley

I'm bringing some extra elastic in case we want to turn them into arm-bands instead of wrist corsages. Maybe some pins too in case we want to pin them on instead. Smiley I'm excited!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

beadingjunkee
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2009 07:42:21 PM »

Wow- it's huge! And perfect for that special Molly Ringwald moment (always think of her when I think of 80s anything). It will look fabulous with your dress.

have fun tomorrow!

Ha, that's great! I'm picturing her pepto prom dress. I love that movie. Love the corsage, and the event sounds like lots of fun.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

bleudazi
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2009 08:04:05 PM »

Wow!  That looks great!  It will definitely go with the big hair! Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Magonika
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2009 01:14:19 AM »

wow! it's so cute! i love it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Emi Ramsey
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2009 06:52:03 AM »

very pretty! I can't wait to see pics of the whole outfit  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~ Easter Egg Hunt & Raffle Launched - check it out at http://www.fortheloveofbeads.com/blog/seasonal/love-beads-easter-contest/  ~
vitaboheme

Future Picasso

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2009 07:29:59 PM »

it is MASSIVE.  I guess I forgot to mention that I did that on purpose... to go with my HAIR. Smiley

Oddly enough, there was no need to mention that the size was intentional.....  I was a child of the 80s- I remember big hair, big shoulders, and big corsages too. I am not sure if I saw a corsage quite that big, but given the nature of the event (Revenge of the Prom says ever so much!) and the fun attitude of the participants, it really is perfect, and absolutely appropriate for an 80s dress!

Hope that the night was awesome!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The purpose of art is washing the dust of daily life off our souls.
-Pablo Picasso
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Mix Asian Flavoured Duck Confit
How to Do a Crab in Black Bean Sauce
How to Cook Yakitori Chicken
How to Cook Chicken Chilli Ramen
How to Cook Gai Yang
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...