A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you know about all of these Craftster features?
Total Members: 296,669
Currently Running With Scissors:
665 Guests and 16 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Charcoal Drawings  (Read 5406 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

SaccharineSunshine04
« on: February 27, 2009 06:49:38 PM »

I'm a first year art student.  Grin I originally planned on being an English major, then switched to fashion design. I am in over my head. I guess I just imagined that art would be easier (not because it's less difficult, but because I like it more.), but I am learning that I know nothing. It's wonderful! Anyway, the fashion portfolio was due today, and I'm terribly nervous. I just wanted to show some drawings because I think that's my weakest point.

My example of a still life, my first charcoal drawing from drawing 1! We were learning additive/subtractive methods, I think.

And then, in drawing 2, I decided to stick with charcoal because it's very forgiving, and this was my example of two point perspective. I hate two point perspective, for the record. I cannot get those vanishing points right. And the shadows are wrong for the birdhouse because I left out several objects that made different shadows. We only had to have three objects in two point and one incline. Smiley

Any pointers? Tips? Tricks? Comments? Help the poor girl who only wants to sew!
« Last Edit: February 27, 2009 06:52:45 PM by SaccharineSunshine04 » THIS ROCKS   Logged

www.wists.com/SaccharineSunshine04
You were born an original. Don't die a copy.
kingfrancebald
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2009 07:32:51 PM »

I feel awful giving advice since i am certifiably sucky at charcoal, but I think you need more contrast. I like your use of white charcoal.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
schizo319
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2009 09:43:02 PM »

I think your first drawing is really great, you have a real knack for showing curves  - plus I'm drawn to the anamorphic shapes. I agree that the second could use a little more contrast - it's too "gray" and ends up a little flat. I'd also be careful with the lines along the edges of your cubes, let the shade differences be your delineation between the sides. But nice job so far!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Deseree
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2009 01:21:13 AM »

Well before anything else, I have to say that jug(?) in your 1st pic is very well done!  the bottom edges surrounding it and that sphere/fruit are a bit blurry and might need to be sharpened...not by outlining the shapes, but by darkening that fuzzy area and blending it into the shadow that's in between the jug & sphere. (i hope that makes sense) >_<;

i agree with "schizo319" that you need to create more contrast in order for the image to look more realistic...

And so, a few pointers from me are:
~ dark outlines = cartoon.
it may be difficult at first...but if you focus on any object carefully, you'll realize that the edges aren't seperated by outlines, instead its the contrast created by different shades of gray that give that effect of having an edge....for ex. to improve the med.-sized cube in your 2nd drawing, you may want to 1) soften the outline and 2)make the side recieving the most light slightly brighter and slightly darken the sides not recieving direct light  **this drawing might help u visually: http://fineartamerica.com/featured/still-life-hierarchy-maia-oprea.html (not mine)

I've taken art classes for yrs, but never pursued the art field, you are very brave! I'm only telling you what I've learned from my teachers and professors. And yrs of classes mean nothing without *practice*... I actually don't enjoy still lifes much, so Idk if I helped you at all : / but I wish you the best in your future endeavors. I disagree that you know "nothing"  from what I see in your work...all you need is practice. English, Fashion or whatever you do...just believe in yourself ;c]
THIS ROCKS   Logged

teddybearbones

I made you a bag lunch C:

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2009 09:23:18 PM »

It's not just contrast. Like Deseree said you need to start putting areas of tone against one another. A great place to start would be the background plane in your second composition. It should be darker on the left side than the box in front of it. Even if you're working white on white areas of your composition which are farther from the light source should be darker, and those closer to the light should be lighter. It helps to figure out where your lightest light will be (like the hi-lights on the bottle in the first) where the darkest dark will be (the sit shadow under your objects) and  figuring out where the lightest part of your shadowed area fits in between the two. It's also a lot easier to work with only one primary light source when doing still lifes. In the second composition especially it looks like you were working with two or more which makes placing shadows and tonal patterns really confusing.

Here's another example of using tone (a much simpler one) Note the change in tone in the background so that the figure stands out against it, and also the difference in tone between the two sides of the face how the paper tone is being used as the shadow colour in the lit area and as the light colour in the shadowed area.

http://teddybearbones.deviantart.com/art/Self-Portrait-the-New-32482397 (yeah, it's mine, but I don't have anything better or more recent uploaded anywhere)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

|art| |etsy| |wists| |blog|
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Plus-Size Style Tips
Jill Martin With Marlo Thomas
Best Dressed Stars: Sports Illustrated Model, NYFW and More
Striped Swimsuit Trends
Trends In Swimsuit Shorts
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Teacup Bird Feeder
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth
July 23, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...