A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News: Craftster Best of 2014 have been announced!  Check out the winning projects here!
Total Members: 301,203
Currently Running With Scissors:
381 Guests and 10 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: "Ikebana-momo" Japanese Inspired Hair Comb with lots of foliage!  (Read 2400 times)
Tags for this thread: holiday_party_accessories , fascinator  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

PollyRose
« on: February 27, 2009 03:03:42 PM »

I really really love Japanese art and culture and want to go there one day (when I can afford the flights and expensive accomodation!). I actually work part time in an East Asian art museum and have been volunterring there for nearly 7 years on and off, so it's a pretty big part of my life and I bore all my friends with my obsession for chiyogami paper and kimono fabric and Hiroshige prints! Anyhow, I made this hair comb when I was in a particularly Japanese obsessed mood, inspired by ikebana, the Japanese art of flower arranging. I used a clear plastic comb which I covered with some cream Japanese print fabric, then I attached faux bamboo, a lot of faux pine fronds and a big white fabric crysanthemum. Crysanthemums are a very traditonal Japanese flower, as well as looking rather gorgeous! I thought all the green and white was a bit monotonous so just to perk it up I added a hot pink feather butterfly, which is just peeping out of the foliage. When I told my friend-who is also obsessed with Japan-about this he said I should call it an "Ikebana-momo", or literally an "Ikebana-thing" as I wasn't really sure whether to call it a comb or a fascinator.

I am happy to provide inspiration for personal projects, but PLEASE don't copy my ideas then sell them! Or the bad karma will come get you! Thanks  Smiley
« Last Edit: March 02, 2009 08:55:54 AM by jungrrl - Reason: edited to comply with Craftster guidelines. » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Deirdre
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2009 05:49:17 PM »

It's lovely!  Very nice work -- thanks for sharing.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sinte

Bow Down Before The One You Serve

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2009 12:30:16 PM »

Cute Smiley.

Although I can't help but correct you on one point.

Ikebana momo would not translate to ikebana thing, because momo is actually the japanese word for peach xD. Mono = thing. x3

I do prefer Ikebana peach as a name for it though...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
petalmixer
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2009 01:16:22 PM »

Oh I really like this!  I think you really captured the essence and feeling, great job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Summer Steak Dinner Recipe
How to Make Poutine
How to Make Onion Rings
How to Personalize Your Stuffing
How to Make Hawaiian Pulled Pork
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Ticket Stub Shadowbox
Fishy fishy fishy...
Tute Tuesday: Fascinators

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...