A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 297,488
Currently Running With Scissors:
672 Guests and 30 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Blouse into Frilly Knickers (Panties)  (Read 5032 times)
Tags for this thread: panties  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

clairol5
« on: February 27, 2009 11:12:37 AM »

I went to this amazing shop while I was visiting France where they stock loads of left overs from factories. This time round they must have visited an underwear factory because there was loads of elastics, bra backs etc etc. It was all sooo cheap and I came away with plenty for under 5. (more details on my blog http://myownfairhands.blogspot.com/2009/02/knickers.html)

All this inspired me to try out some underwear for myself! I used lace and elastic which I'd got from the shop with material from an ill-fitting blouse. I'd never made knickers before so I spent hours trying to work out a pattern (using maths!! turns out there was a reason for studying percentages at school!) and then lots of swearing and unpicking at the machine. I did really enjoy making them though and will definitely be trying out some more.
Although I'm really pleased with how they turned out, they don't cover my bum as much as I had wanted. I'm going work on my pattern a bit more... back to the calculator!

So after all that (sorry!) here's some pictures:

« Last Edit: May 22, 2009 03:29:59 PM by clairol5 - Reason: change link to specific blog post » THIS ROCKS   Logged

DollfaceDarlin
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2009 11:36:35 AM »

you might want to try this video tutorial and pattern. It's pretty cool. I made some awesome ones and they totally fit!!

http://www.threadbanger.com/episode/THR_20090206
THIS ROCKS   Logged

colorxmexstupid7

I brake for distillied spirits.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2009 12:11:52 PM »

these are adorable.

I love the pattern on the fabric.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Dear Craftster:

Stop hating on Medical Marijuana.
zizzyb
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2009 01:14:05 PM »

These look great! I've been looking for a way to make this style of knickers for ages, but been put off cos I thought putting a pattern together would be too difficult. And that shop in France sounds amazing.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
hotty_blond2000

Crafting, Internet, and Pepsi are my weaknesses!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2009 08:23:34 PM »

those are so cute!

I so want to make my own panties. I need to expand my collection.
most are so plain.

i need some like these! gotta search through my fabrics.

great job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

RenDuH

Let's go ask Mr. Beardsley. MISTER BEARDSLEEYY!!!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2009 07:49:26 AM »

Oooo, very cute!!

Actually though, those would be called panties (note the i, lol) to us.
"Pants" is what we call our trousers  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Master of all things spelling and grammar related.

.:RenDuH:.
clairol5
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2009 07:55:01 AM »

I realised afterwards that you call them panties (which just sounds so odd to my british ears!), I couldn't really bring myself to change it cos pants sort of rhymed with Yanks so now I've had to put Yankies, which made me squirm a bit and also isn't that more of a sports team. Maybe i'll get rid of it all together..!

Anyway...thank you all for your kind comments.
I had seen the threadbanger video, which did help a lot, but the pattern wasn't to scale and just wasn't working out for me so I worked one out for myself. If I can get myself organised I might just try another of these tonight.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

melaniechapstick
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2009 10:28:37 AM »

you might want to try this video tutorial and pattern. It's pretty cool. I made some awesome ones and they totally fit!!

http://www.threadbanger.com/episode/THR_20090206

I want to make those!
Was it super simple when it came to actually doing it?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
clairol5
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2009 10:34:04 AM »

Ummmm.... no, I'm afraid I can't lie! Well at least not as easy as she made it seem.

The hardest part is the pattern, because the one on threadbanger is not to scale and the measurements don't even add up so I had to make my own using a pair of knickers which I already had. The other difficult thing was knowing how much elastic to use and making it stretch equally around. In the end I marked the elastic and the waistband/leg holes into quarters and then made sure these lines matched up as I went around.

In the end with pattern making included these took me a full day. I'm hoping though that next time will be a lot quicker as I have all the measurements sorted out.

Sorry if that put you off, it really shouldn't because most of the actual construction is very easy.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

PollyRose
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2009 12:24:42 PM »

These are some of the most fabulous knickers I have ever seen! If you wanted to make knickers using a stretch fabric www.burdastyle.com has a good free pattern.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Learn Chinese Food Cutting and Preparation Techniques
How to Cut Carrots into Slices ,Dice and Roll Cut- Chinese style
How to Make a Chicken Curry
How to Make Grilled Oriental Salad
How to sharpen chinese clever with stone
Latest Blog Articles
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!
Winner of Craft Challenge #102 - Swap & Share 3
September 17, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...