A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can get cheap (and legal! Wink) advertising by donating a challenge prize! Go here for more info.
Total Members: 299,165
Currently Running With Scissors:
602 Guests and 10 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Monster Challenge 09 - Baby Doll Max and his lil' girl Brunhilda (IMG heavy)  (Read 1815 times)
Tags for this thread: monster  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

manunson
« on: February 27, 2009 09:41:47 AM »

I LOVE Craftster.  That being said, although I've lurked for years, this is my first post and first contest!

Of course, as I went to post the photos I caught the bit about fulled projects not being appropriate.  Great.  Typical of a creative to not read directions.  So, we'll put this one past the panel of judges:  I'm entering baby doll Max, who is 100% needle felted out of nothing but wool roving. 
Brunhilda, on the other hand, has a fulled body with needle felted appendages.  If I'm being honest, her body was an old sweater (notice how her mouth resembles the neck of a sweater?) that I cut apart and sewed, so I technically didn't KNIT the body for the purpose of a monster.  I bought the sweater at the thrift store with the purpose of making mittens but it felted up too thick and stiff and so the sweater is now a monster.  Regardless, I had tons of fun making her and collaborating with my two DDs.

This is Brunhilda and her baby doll, Max. You'll have to decide which one is the "monster". Brunhilda is a fulled felted monster with needle felted decorations. The only "foreign" material she has on her is one pipe cleaner in her tail. Other than that, it's all wool roving, wool yarn, fulled wool and thread.

This is Brunhilda's baby doll, Max. Max is made of 100% needle felted wool roving. He does not have any wires in him, he kicks his legs and raises his arms b/c of how the wool attached to itself. Although, when DH comes in the room and sees me jabbing a baby's knee with a sharp needle, he has to wonder...

No, Brunhilda, Don't EAT the baby!!

Here are some details
Brunhilda's mane is made from wool that wasn't corded (? combed...) it's still curly like it was on the sheep. Although, I don't believe that the sheep was this color purple. I love how it sticks out like a mohawk.

Here's her tail and a better shot of her three hands and many fingers. That's the great thing about fulled wool is that you can just cut it into shape.
Her tail DOES have a pipecleaner inside so that it sticks up. The side view picture of her mane is better

I thought her eyes turned out especially well. You can felt fulled wool to other fulled wool. It's a little tricky but sometimes it's all you've got!

Her teeth (and horns) are 100% needle felted. Hard to see in a photo. Her mouth is open and that's left over fulled wool inside. When I was making her, my daughters put her body over their head like a mask and looked out her mouth. Funny. I was thinking I might add wire around her mouth to shape it into different expressions, ie "happy monster", "sad monster", etc

Here are her fuzzy feet (I mean foot) w/ needle felted nails. I got the 3-d effect pretty easily by taking a good chunk of roving, felting the end, folding it back and felting the other end. Went around the edges for security and it puffs up nice in the middle.

What's a monster w/out a tattoo? This was my daughter's idea.

Tattoo #2. M is for her maker (me!).

Even if it's not contest-worthy, hope you enjoy none-the-less!
« Last Edit: February 27, 2009 03:23:15 PM by manunson » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Looking for your extra inventory for a silent auction to help my sister.  See my post in "crafting for good..."
engdom
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2009 10:03:47 AM »

i love her!  especially her flabby lips.  so stinkin cute.  this must have taken you forever!  needle felting intimidates me.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm living so far beyond my income that we may almost be said to be living apart.

e. e. cummings
manunson
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2009 03:24:26 PM »

Actually, I like felting because there's no rules.  I just shrink up wool sweaters and stick 'em with needles.  A very therapeutic craft. 
Knitting on the other hand intimidates me...when you need a CHART to finish a project. Yikes!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Looking for your extra inventory for a silent auction to help my sister.  See my post in "crafting for good..."
Belladune
Fiber Arts Moderator
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

crazy crafty momma

'darn kids, they were pesky from the start' D. Lee

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2009 06:41:45 AM »

they are both very neat.  LOL @ her eating her baby!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Typicu
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2009 01:57:06 PM »

Both of them are so lovely! You're post was very funny.  Cheesy

I also have to admit that I find felting less intimidating than knitting, I guess it might have something to do with the learning curve of felting to be a bit lower? Who knows.  Lips sealed
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Halloween Flower Decoration Ideas
How to Make a Diaper Cake
How to Dry Flowers
Halloween Party Wine Bottle Make-Over
Fashion Crafts for Kids
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Exploding Needle Box
Handmade Gift Ideas: Japanese Shibori Dyeing
@Home This Weekend: Embellished Guest Towels

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...