A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, it's easier for people to discover it if you choose a great title for your thread.
Total Members: 297,488
Currently Running With Scissors:
629 Guests and 34 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Strong Corset Seams  (Read 766 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

alemap
« on: March 22, 2005 02:21:30 PM »

Hi,

Will anyone please share with me the correct way to sew a corset seam?  I know that it is suggested that you use a flat-felled seam, and this seems understandable when the seam is for a single corset bone, but what about a construction seam where double corset bones will be used.  What would anyone suggest is the strongest seam method to use in this case?

Someone has suggested that I sew a basic seam, which I should press open and then sew each flap down to create two pockets for the bones, but I worry that the seam won't be strong enough.  Is there another way?

Also how wide do you make your seam allowances?  Mine are at 1cm at present, where I have been using bias tape to make pockets for single bones, but I don't think that this will be wide enough for a flat-fell or even the second method. Any help much appreciated.

Thanks
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ewushka

Remember: Artistic is close to autistic.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2005 05:14:28 AM »

I use the second method you're mentioning and I'm a rather big girl (means I need to tighten my corsets rather much) and I've never had any problems with the pocketmethod. Use a 1.5cm seam allowance and you'll be safe.
You could also use a woven tape, wide enough to keep your boning (about 2.5-3 cm should be wide enough) and sew it onto the seam allowance and anker it in the seam in the middle.
Good luck.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Those are my principles. If you don't like them, I have others." (Groucho Marx)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jespersson
alemap
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2005 10:48:22 AM »

Thank you so much for taking the time to reply.  I will trust in your experience of making/wearing them that it will be sturdy enough, and intend to give it a try straight away. 

'You could also use a woven tape, wide enough to keep your boning (about 2.5-3 cm should be wide enough) and sew it onto the seam allowance and anker it in the seam in the middle.'

As I have already started constructing this one, with a smaller seam allowance, I will have to continue with your above suggested method.  Should keep me happily busy this Easter weekend I think.  Hope to post it in the future when it's complete. 

Thanks again!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ewushka

Remember: Artistic is close to autistic.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2005 12:25:52 PM »

I'm looking forward to se the result of your effort!

Happy Easter!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Those are my principles. If you don't like them, I have others." (Groucho Marx)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jespersson
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Author Stephen King on the Best Advice He Ever Got
Author Tom Brokaw on the Best Day in His Life
Lynda Obst on Hollywood and Foreign Markets
Family Celebrations with Buddy Valastro
Norman Mailer’s “Double Life” as a Writer
Latest Blog Articles
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!
Winner of Craft Challenge #102 - Swap & Share 3
September 17, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...