A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Did you know you can view all images posted by a member? Learn how here!
Total Members: 300,954
Currently Running With Scissors:
732 Guests and 27 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Fairy tales...with a twist? Creative idea help!  (Read 4237 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

PaisleyMoose
« on: February 27, 2009 05:50:20 AM »

Every year my college theatre group has a big end of the year party, with themes. This is my first year going!!! Last year's theme was Historical figures. They had people go as Sweeney Todd, Pebbles and Bam Bam, Artemis, Pluto (yes, that poor planet)...so you see the wide range we let the theme cover. This year is "Fairy Tales [and other Literary Characters]" and I'm at a loss. It's easy enough to just go as a popular tale character, but that's boring. My first thought was a magic wand. I could find some sort of bright silvery, glittery leggings and/or shirt and wear a star headpiece (made of what, I don't know) with ribbons hanging down. lol

I also read somewhere being the beanstalk, dressing in all bright green, with some vines and a little toy "Jack" clipped on a body part. If actually really like that one! But I also kind of wanted to do a Twisted fairy tale, but can't really come up with any really creative ones.

I want to do something that'll let me still have crazy and even glittery make up (I love doing makeup, I hope to do makeup for theatre one day) and nothing that's too "Well, anyone could have done that."

Any ideas? Thanks all!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Aislynn
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2009 07:49:25 PM »

I have two ideas...neither one is sparkly, though.

First:  Baba Yaga's house, which would just be fun.  Dunno how you'd do the chicken legs, but that's the challenge, right?

Second:  One of Cinderella's stepsisters, with your foot bleeding, and a bird sitting on your shoulder.  (Going to the original story, that is)

DH's suggestion, which is sparkly:  the Snow Queen...some variation thereon.

I recommend reading the real Grimm's fairy tales for ideas...some of them are incredibly out there, and while a lot of them are gruesome, you're sure to find something interesting.  Good luck, and have fun!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sewers are for ninja turtles--seamstresses are for sewing Wink

My wist!  http://www.wists.com/aislynn
SpottedFrog
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2009 05:46:10 PM »

I second going back & reading Grimm's Smiley Also Greek mythology might have some good characters (lots of deus ex machina in those). Off the top of my head I like the different witches in the Oz books (you meet more than just Glinda).

You could also go really classic & be Titania (queen of the fairies) from A Midsummer Night's Dream
THIS ROCKS   Logged
PaisleyMoose
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2009 05:54:57 PM »

Oooh thanks!
I love Grimm's. I'll have to go dig my copy up (or down if it's in the attic  Roll Eyes)I also have a fairy tale book with tons of different retellings of various fairy tales. I'll have to go through that again too.

I like Cinderella's step sister idea. Very interesting idea....
THIS ROCKS   Logged
nualapegasus
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2009 05:30:31 PM »

Take a look at the covers of fantasy novels.  Many of them are retellings of fairy tales.  Take a look at the cover of Jim C Hines' book The Stepsister Scheme.  The three gals are Snow White, Cinderella, and Sleeping Beauty.  They just happen to have swords and knifes. Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

What do you think, sirs?- Joel, MST3K
Elsinora

This is the plane of suck.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2009 07:39:30 PM »

There are loads of lesser known fairy tales out there...Tatterhood has always been one of my favorites, and would make for a great costume (a raggedy hoodie dress, a stuffed goat, and a wooden spoon).  I recommend taking a glance at the Lang Fairy Books and at Hans Christian Anderson--or, barring all else, Wikipedia has great summaries of many not-commonly-known fairy tales.  Start at the page on "fairy tales" and just start following links from there.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Hey, I'm the Doctor, I can save the universe using a kettle and some string. And look at me, I'm wearing a vegetable."
pjhamel
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2009 05:55:51 PM »

If I were you, I would totally go as a twisted version of the mad hatter from "Alice in Wonderland". You could do pretty much anything with it.
I would do like a huge fluffy but tattered skirt made out of a bunch of tulle and strips of fabric with a tuxedo jacket and a ruffle front shirt. Wear some crazy shoes like commando boots or something, funky tights, and the customary top hat.
yeah, I totally just described my halloween costume for this year, but you are welcome to take ideas from it.

Wish my school did cool stuff like that Sad
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I will happily do personal swaps for beads, buttons, and fat quarters!

My Pinterest
embercostumer
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2009 09:26:14 PM »

You could always be Evil Cinderella or something...but I really love the beanstalk idea.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out my website: www.embercostumes.com
summerheaven
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2009 05:25:14 PM »

I have two ideas...neither one is sparkly, though.

First:  Baba Yaga's house, which would just be fun.  Dunno how you'd do the chicken legs, but that's the challenge, right?

Second:  One of Cinderella's stepsisters, with your foot bleeding, and a bird sitting on your shoulder.  (Going to the original story, that is)

DH's suggestion, which is sparkly:  the Snow Queen...some variation thereon.

I recommend reading the real Grimm's fairy tales for ideas...some of them are incredibly out there, and while a lot of them are gruesome, you're sure to find something interesting.  Good luck, and have fun!

Actually, the TRULY original tale of Cinderella goes back to Egypt:
http://library.thinkquest.org/J002037F/egyptian_cinderella.htm

There's so many versions out there though, I'd like to hear which era yours came from  Smiley

The thing about most fairy tales (that haven't been animated by Disney or something) are very vague and don't describe the clothes of the characters.

I have a project where I have to make a dress of a fairy tale character and I'm stuck  Huh

Hopefully I can get ideas from this thread as well XD
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Split Stitch

Rigor Mortis gets you STIFF!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2009 10:39:52 PM »

You should be Maleficent! She's awesome! And you said you like to do make up! She's so kick arse!! Cheesy!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Liberty is Tyranny.
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Simon Sinek on Improving Writing Skills by Embracing the Unfamiliar
Some Bugs by Angela DiTerlizzi
Inside Delancey with Molly Wizenberg
How to Lose Weight with Your Partner from Love Me Slender
Henny by Elizabeth Rose Stanton
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Chalkboard Wine Glasses
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...