A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you know about all of these Craftster features?
Total Members: 304,876
Currently Running With Scissors:
771 Guests and 22 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: A new lampshade!  (Read 2376 times)
Tags for this thread: lampshade  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

half a bee
« on: February 26, 2009 07:02:38 PM »

I made a new lampshade!

I have been hating two boring, shiny, tannish-whitish lampshades in my living room for several years now, one on a floor lamp and the other on a table lamp.  I was planning to replace the blah floor lamp in the corner with a very long silk hanging lamp--gorgeous, but expensive and requiring unpleasant ceiling wiring.  Then I thought to myself, I could make this corner fun and pretty without the money or electrical fuss, by upgrading my lamp with a zingy homemade lampshade.  Unfortunately I didn't take pictures until the end so this is not a full-fledged tutorial, but I was proud of myself for figuring this all out and executing it nicely, so I want to share as much of the process as I can.

I started with a shade rather like this, only larger and a bit more complicated (this has only four sides, while the one I redid has eight:  four large sides and four flattened corners, for lack of a better description--you'll see).

I ripped the shade off the metal frame.  This was one of the worst parts of the whole process, as the factory had glue-gunned the heck out of the shade.  It was infuriating and painful trying to rip the stupid thing off!  Finally I tore it all off (with my patient husband's help), then I seam-ripped one of the four panels off to use as a pattern.  I have no picture of the plain lampshade frame, but it was just a metal skeleton.

Using this pattern piece, I cut out four pieces of my fabric, then sewed those four pieces together side by side so that they were the shape of the original shade when it was ripped off and flattened (sorry I don't have a picture of that step).  Finally I sewed the two remaining edges together, making the piece into a sort of skirt shape that I could then slip over the lampshade frame.

I slipped the shade over the frame and let it sit there unfinished and ragged for about two weeks, daunted by the hot glue gun, which I had never used before.

At last I took a deep breath and glued the fabric around the top to the metal frame, bit by bit, then glued the fabric to the bottom of the metal frame.  I had to rip out a couple spots and try again until I had it nice and smooth.  

I used scissors to trim the unsightly wide fabric edges on the inside so you wouldn't see their shadows with the light on, then carefully glue-gunned the new trimmed edges to the frame and pressed them down so they wouldn't show or fray.

Now I have a beautiful new lampshade!

And my corner is not blah anymore!

I had fun with this project (except for my trepidation about ruining the whole thing with the glue gun!) and I may very well tackle the other ugly shade sometime soon.  

If you've read this whole long account, thank you for sticking with me.  I hope you enjoyed it!!
« Last Edit: March 03, 2009 06:19:22 PM by half a bee - Reason: left a couple of words out » THIS ROCKS   Logged
I Sew Cute
Jewelry and Trinkets Moderator
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I'm a Fanatic Friend of Craftster!

Take me to the kittens!!! >^.^<

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2009 07:16:39 PM »

looks great! Glad you got over your fear! I used to be afraid of power tools... but ya gotta do what ya gotta do for crafts' sake!

Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out Trinkets & Jewelry! Wink
pinterest
blog
twitter
etsy
half a bee
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2009 07:23:24 PM »

looks great! Glad you got over your fear! I used to be afraid of power tools... but ya gotta do what ya gotta do for crafts' sake!

Wink

I'm still scared of power tools--I guess that's next!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
I Sew Cute
Jewelry and Trinkets Moderator

I'm a Fanatic Friend of Craftster!

Take me to the kittens!!! >^.^<

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2009 08:44:57 AM »

you did well to handle the glue gun! I've had some nasty burns from one of those!  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out Trinkets & Jewelry! Wink
pinterest
blog
twitter
etsy
junebug6162
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2009 04:24:56 PM »

THAT is beautiful!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ghettocrafty
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2009 07:16:36 PM »

crap I need a glue gun now!!!

Great job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
half a bee
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2009 06:13:58 PM »

THAT is beautiful!

Thank you so much!  Smiley  I am really pleased with how it came out.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
half a bee
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2009 06:17:56 PM »

crap I need a glue gun now!!!

Great job!

Thank you!  I couldn't believe how cheap my mini glue gun was--I spent less than 5 bucks on the tool AND 30 or 40 glue sticks.  Let me know what awesome thing you make once you purchase one!  Smiley

THIS ROCKS   Logged
Jinjeet Phoenix

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2009 10:26:47 PM »

Your new lampshade looks great.  Thank you for the step by step pictures that show me that It can be done. Yeah, and the same issues with a glue gun.  I didn't realize the darned thing was that hot!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
half a bee
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2009 08:03:32 AM »

I know, Jinjeet Phoenix--the package says it can get up to 300 degrees--ouch!  I'm glad the instructions are useful.  Thanks for the comment. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make a Kirigami Piano Card
How to Make a Kirigami Sign for Spring
How to Make a Kirigami Chinese Lantern
How to Make a Kirigami Sheep
How to Make a Kirigami Butterfly
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Easy Tile Coasters
Tute Tuesday: Scrabble Afghan
These Are a Few of My Favorite (Spooky!) Things

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...